• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Teens and Cell Phones

Apex

Somewhere Around Nothing
I didn't even get a cell phone till my senior year in high school. (graduated in '05)

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
Well, I don't think this has anything to do with phones. I think this is a case of a girl with some problems. If it hadn't come up due to the phone issue, it probably would have come up because of something else.

Apex

Somewhere Around Nothing
Didn't a kid kill his parents a short while back because they took his xbox away?

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Actually, I am somewhat doubtful that there is anything wrong with the girl.

Sure, her reaction is completely out of scale. But assuming her to be a psycho seems to be jumping the gun to me. One of the reasons why teenagers are so unreasonable these days is because their parents' expectations are often just as unreasonable, even contradictory.

I'm not saying that these parents pushed this girl over the edge. But I sure won't disregard the possibility without any information, either.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Well, I don't think this has anything to do with phones. I think this is a case of a girl with some problems. If it hadn't come up due to the phone issue, it probably would have come up because of something else.

That makes two of us.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
This isn't as much about cell phones as it is about a spoiled brat teen. My opinion is that government gives kids too much leeway and the parents hands are tied. Social workers seem to be the enemy sometimes (I do apologize to any social workers on the RF).

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
What does that mean?

Not to speak for Christine, and she is more than welcome to correct me, if I'm wrong, but I think what she means is that we protect children too much these days. Teachers and other authority figures are not really even allowed to touch kids (or at least, if they do, they put themselves in danger of being sued or put in jail for it). Parents have had authority taken away because of a fear of abuse. That kind of stuff.

Mathematician

Reason, and reason again
But has any parent here been seriously concerned they would lose their children for an act of discipline short of using a cane? I'm an anti-corporal punishment advocate, but I've seen children spanked to high hell in the middle of Wal-Mart without anyone lifting a finger. Due to their cultural upbringing, a lot of Hispanic women are notorious for this. Maybe it's different in other states?

I think cases like this occur either because 1.) the child has a mental illness or 2.) the parent never used any type of discipline beforehand. Not because someone didn't put a hand to their child.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
But has any parent here been seriously concerned they would lose their children for an act of discipline short of using a cane? I'm an anti-corporal punishment advocate, but I've seen children spanked to high hell in the middle of Wal-Mart without anyone lifting a finger. Due to their cultural upbringing, a lot of Hispanic women are notorious for this. Maybe it's different in other states?

It's not guaranteed, but it shouldn't even be a possibility if you're just spanking your child in public. It's mainly the fact that it could happen, not that it does every time. I'm sure many parents have been seriously concerned about that, and I'm sure there have also been some who weren't concerned but had it happen anyway.

I think cases like this occur either because 1.) the child has a mental illness or 2.) the parent never used any type of discipline beforehand. Not because someone didn't put a hand to their child.

That very well might be, but it might also have to do with the mindset of treating children so delicately that, even aside from physical discipline, they are given way too big a leash.

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
I would hate to spank my child. I have always loved to ask them if we need to go out to the car however. ;)

methylatedghosts

Can't brain. Has dumb.
She needs to be taken away from cellphone use, methinks - at least for a little while.

Just so that she can get used to the idea that she doesn't need to reply immediately to every single text message or phone call.

I used to burn through more than 1000 messages a month - that's 33 messages a day! And I KNOW there are kids who get through more than that.

Nowadays I consider 100-200 per month to be a lot for me.

For many kids, it's fast-becoming an addiction, much like forums, websites like facebook and bebo, picture-sharing websites...

I think if you let kids at it too early on, they'll forget about the world outside of their cellphone and computer screens ;)

its just an addiction nothing strange she's just addicted to here cellphone instead of cocaine wich might i add is alot healthier. same thing would have happend to any addict with there addiction removed cold turkey

she can plea not guilty do to mental defect and temporary insanity

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Definitely. I once had a woman accuse me of child abuse because I was restraining my 2 year old son, who was throwing a fit, from literally throwing himself into traffic. An extreme example to be sure, but there are definite cultural differences.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
A few mornings ago, the radio hosts talked about this particular incident (it's a fairly short article):

Teen charged in attack on parents | delawareonline | The News Journal

Basically, a father took away his teenage daughter's cellphone and she ended up threatening her parents with two kitchen knives, then violently attacking the door of their bedroom when they hid inside and locked it. It started because the father heard her on the phone and knew she had no minutes left. He also suspected her of stealing money from her mother's purse to buy more minutes on a prepaid card...So he took the phone away.

:eek: I'm honestly not even sure what to think about this... Any opinions or insights from RFers? Heard of anything else like this happening? :confused: :shrug:

Edit: And look at all the things she was charged with! :areyoucra

Does anyone think there is any kind of solution to this?
Where is this kind of phone/text communication obsession leading (ie: my Wall-E example in post # 7)? And what's the next step?
Admit her to cell phones anonymous's 12 step program....

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
The girl needs to have her cell phone taken away period.If she wants to throw a fit let her.She cant throw it for that long she will become exausted.Then she will go in and fix a big bowl of cereal and milk that her parents bought.

Love

Dallas