• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Technology: For Better or For Worse?

Dezzie

I have been thinking about this lately and I want to know what you guys think...

Is current technology good or bad for society?

(I think it's a little bit of both)

Please share your thoughts and ideas.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
I have been thinking about this lately and I want to know what you guys think...

I agree, I think its pushing farther from our natural states. We are relying on it to much and headed to a major fall when it fails.

Dezzie

I agree, I think its pushing farther from our natural states. We are relying on it to much and headed to a major fall when it fails.

I tried to talk to my Husband about this (he's an IT and is IN LOVE with tech)... Well... let's just say this... it didn't go so well. :areyoucra I feel that there are a lot of cons to our technology use today. He didn't agree so much...

I just wanted to see if anyone felt the same as me because I felt so wrong in my ways of thinking.

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member

I think there is certainly a mix of both benefits and problems associated with technology.

But in a general sense I think it's definitely good for society. Without technology, people would have very short life expectancies, wouldn't know much about the world, would experience a lot more suffering, and so forth.

TurkeyOnRye

Technology does seem to significantly magnify humanity's capability of altering the planet. I don't really understand where this trend is headed. Perhaps in a few centuries, Earth will look like Coruscant.

TJ73

IMHO, we are upside down in our payments, if you can make sense of that. In other words, we have come to a point where the value of technology has not yet reached what we pay for it, or sacrifice, which is closer interpersonal relationships, health risks associated with sendentary living as well as the effects of the products and byproducts. I think we can come around but right now we are too well assisted by technology and it most profoundly affects human health,mental and physical.

sandandfoam

Veteran Member
I'm in love with technology.
Definitely for the better.
Caves are cold, birds nest in thatch, the petrol engine rocks, phones are handy and the internet is just the best.
Give me 2011 over 1599 any day of the week.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
For better, surely.
It has negative points, but the positive points far surpass them.

Rainbow Mage

Lib Democrat/Agnostic/Epicurean-ish/Buddhist-ish
Well since technology in and of itself cannot be good or bad, it's not automatically for better or worse. The way humans use it now it's for worse.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Technology good, but some things bad:
- We're too dependent.
- It's too centralized, & vulnerable to massive failures, eg, food production, energy production, internet. (Don't let government get that kill switch.)
- People are becoming very removed from & losing sight of basics, eg, meat comes from animals.

Mathematician

Reason, and reason again
In my opinion, the consequences are almost entirely good.

Humans are inseparable from all of their inventions, not just technology. That's part of being at the top of the food chain.

ninerbuff

godless wonder
Well since technology in and of itself cannot be good or bad, it's not automatically for better or worse. The way humans use it now it's for worse.
Exactly! I'm all for technology, but it doesn't rule my life. I worked as a manager for Circuit City as an audio/video manager and still don't own a large flat panel TV (still have a 27" Sony flat tube) even though I know the benefits of it. And it's not that we can't afford it, it's just that I don't see it enhancing my life. That's what current technology should be used for, to see a significant enhancement in life and not just one where you keep up with the jones.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
In my opinion, the consequences are almost entirely good.
Humans are inseparable from all of their inventions, not just technology. That's part of being at the top of the food chain.
I agree, as long as things go along without major glitches. But imagine another world war.
What if the internet were attacked & stopped working. So much for much of our commerce & communication.
The government's desire for a kill switch would give them power to suppress commerce & speech.
As paper money is phased out, we'd be hard pressed to conduct business if electronic methods failed.
If our satellites were attacked, then GPS could fail. The military is very dependent upon that system.
Our electrical grids are very integrated with each other. An attack could cause a widespread catastrophic cascade of failures.

Dezzie

Yeah... I mean, I don't disagree that technology is a good thing! If we didn't have it we wouldn't be able to communicate like we do with other people in the World... But... If you think about all the things the Ancients did (because they actually had to figure it out for themselves), you'd notice a lot of differences with today's society. Back then they could do all these amazing things. They had great knowledge in Astronomy, Art, Philosophy, Science, and Medicine.

In today's Society we have all these inventions that do this stuff for us. I know so many people who don't even know how to make a basic fire because of the "fake" fireplaces we have now. Knowledge IMO... is in a way decreasing (I understand what medicine and science are progressing today... I'm not necessarily talking about that specific knowledge). This also doesn't apply to everyone of course (a lot of people actually read and learn about how to do things on their own). I've just noticed a lot of people taking the easy way out... like buying a "fake" fireplace.

The movie Cast Away made me think about this when the main character had to learn how to understand what season and what time it was by measuring the shadows created by the sun. He had to learn how to survive on his own... I think too many people take what they have for granted. One day, these things may disappear miraculously. People would lose their minds. We rely too much on materialistic things.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
We will always rely on materialistic things. If ,for some reason, our society collapses we will need to do a LOT more than the basic things people knew back then. Knowing how to figure the current season and time is gonna be the least of our problems.

ninerbuff

godless wonder
Not as bad as being left without eletricity.
There are ways to replace electricity via gas powered alternators, units that run on batteries, propane laterns and grills, but not being able to go to the bathroom or take a shower? I lived on a island where the power went out for over a month. At the same time the plumbing was out for a week. It was MUCH EASIER living without power, then having use the bathroom out in the boonies.