• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Students Are Pushing Back Against Gender Ideology In Their Schools

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I dunno... How masculine is a long white robe and long hair?
iu

Callisto

Hellenismos, BTW
A colleague of mine on Facebook has just pointed out that Jesus, born of a virgin woman, lacked a Y chromosome. Yet he dressed and acted like a male. I offer this as something to ponder for Christians who have problems with transgender behavior that doesn't pair well with their biological chromosomes.
How would that work? Does your friend think Jesus had X chromosomes or no chromosomes? If he had chromosomes, why would he not have a Y chromosome? God made Eve from Adam, does that mean she didn't have X chromosomes? Isn't God the father of Jesus? Something fertilized one of Mary's eggs, e.g. "The angel answered, 'The Holy Spirit will come on you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you. So the holy one to be born will be called the Son of God.'" (Luke 1:35)

Genuinely curious.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
How would that work? Does your friend think Jesus had X chromosomes or no chromosomes? If he had chromosomes, why would he not have a Y chromosome? God made Eve from Adam, does that mean she didn't have X chromosomes? Isn't God the father of Jesus? Something fertilized one of Mary's eggs, e.g. "The angel answered, 'The Holy Spirit will come on you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you. So the holy one to be born will be called the Son of God.'" (Luke 1:35)

Genuinely curious.
Everyone has an X chromosome. If Jesus was human, he had an X chromosome. Men have an X chromosome, women have two X chromosomes.

Beyond that it is just a silly joke, don't take it seriously.

If Jesus got his genetics from Mary, he would have only X chromosomes. He could not have gotten a Y chromosome from Mary because she didn't have any.

Callisto

Hellenismos, BTW
Everyone has an X chromosome. If Jesus was human, he had an X chromosome. Men have an X chromosome, women have two X chromosomes.

Beyond that it is just a silly joke, don't take it seriously.

If Jesus got his genetics from Mary, he would have only X chromosomes. He could not have gotten a Y chromosome from Mary because she didn't have any.
I wasn't sure if it was a joke or what. It's not always evident in these discussions. LOL

Though as a thought exercise, if JC only had X chromosomes, he would have been female. But the NT indicates the egg was divinely fertilized(Holy Spirit) in order to produced a male, Son of God as prophesied. So it seems JC had a Y chromosome because God made it so, just like Eve had to have had XX chromosomes despite being made from Adam. God being all knowing and all powerful and the Creator could make anything manifest in or out of regular processes.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
I wasn't sure if it was a joke or what. It's not always evident in these discussions. LOL

Though as a thought exercise, if JC only had X chromosomes, he would have been female. But the NT indicates the egg was divinely fertilized(Holy Spirit) in order to produced a male, Son of God as prophesied. So it seems JC had a Y chromosome because God made it so, just like Eve had to have had XX chromosomes despite being made from Adam. God being all knowing and all powerful and the Creator could make anything manifest in or out of regular processes.
Or maybe God would create a male with only XX chromosomes. Or maybe God could create Jesus with a double Z chromosome. Or maybe God could create Jesus out of tapioca pudding.

Callisto

Hellenismos, BTW
So
Or maybe God would create a male with only XX chromosomes. Or maybe God could create Jesus with a double Z chromosome. Or maybe God could create Jesus out of tapioca pudding.
What would be the purpose of that and, if done, why not name the result accordingly? XX = Daughter of God, Z = Non-Human Male Creation of God, Just Dessert of God?

Kfox

Totally missed the point.
I think I give up.
:shrug:
Why are you giving up? Too often on debate like these, I see people with this attitude that it is their job to educate people who disagree with them; that they have nothing to learn from opposing viewpoints, but opposing viewpoints have everything to learn from them. And after a couple back and forth, they get frustrated if their opposition does not agree with them. With these kind of debates, most of the time nobody is going to switch sides; but it’s not about that, it’s about understanding how the other side thinks and learning about their point of view; even if you continue to disagree with it. That’s how I see it, that’s why I enjoy debates like these.
Good luck my friend; it’s been nice debating with ya!

Kfox

A colleague of mine on Facebook has just pointed out that Jesus, born of a virgin woman, lacked a Y chromosome. Yet he dressed and acted like a male. I offer this as something to ponder for Christians who have problems with transgender behavior that doesn't pair well with their biological chromosomes.
It’s not too much of a leap for somebody who believes if a woman can have a baby without having sex, that same woman can produce a Y chromosome in order for the baby to be born male

Kfox

If this is really such a stumbling block for you, fine, stick with the two. But understand even with two genders they might not necessarily match biological sex.

If you can handle that, maybe at a later date you could consider a third.

But small steps to begin with.
I never said anything was a stumbling block, I’m just trying to figure out how this person thinks. The people who claim biology and gender are separate, also claim there are dozens of genders. This person seem to agree with the part about gender and biology as being separate, but does not seem to want to commit to dozens of different genders; so I was just asking questions to see where his head was at; that’s all.
Where are you at on this issue? Do you agree there are dozens of different genders? If so, how many? If not; how many?

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
Why are you giving up? Too often on debate like these, I see people with this attitude that it is their job to educate people who disagree with them; that they have nothing to learn from opposing viewpoints, but opposing viewpoints have everything to learn from them.
I don't consider myself one of those people. I actually enjoy back-and-forths with people who have viewpoints that are different from my own. That's why I'm here.

I just feel like I've basically said what I wanted to say.
That's not to say I may not jump back in at some point, if some particular post grabs my attention. It's just that I feel like I've said my piece and I'm kind of just repeating myself at this point.
And after a couple back and forth, they get frustrated if their opposition does not agree with them. With these kind of debates, most of the time nobody is going to switch sides; but it’s not about that, it’s about understanding how the other side thinks and learning about their point of view; even if you continue to disagree with it.
I'm all on board for that. It's one of the reasons I come to this site. I encourage people to seek out differing viewpoints and attempt to understand them, without necessarily adopting them.

Please don't take my bowing out to mean that I'm upset with you or dislike you in any way.
That’s how I see it, that’s why I enjoy debates like these.
Good luck my friend; it’s been nice debating with ya!
It's been a slice, and I thank you for taking the time to converse with me. :)

Copernicus

Industrial Strength Linguist
It’s not too much of a leap for somebody who believes if a woman can have a baby without having sex, that same woman can produce a Y chromosome in order for the baby to be born male

So your theory is that the Virgin Mary was a hermaphrodite? Look, it's not too much of a leap for anybody who believes in miracles to believe that. It's just amusing that all of this debate over chromosomes ignores the irony, especially in the case where those pushing for a strict binary definition of sex are devout Christians. Evolutionary biology is extremely messy, so the issue here is really one of social accommodation. Transgender individuals are not going to disappear, and they all have the same need to use public restrooms that the rest of us do. If Christ had to pick a restroom, would any Christian quibble over his/her choice of restroom or pronouns? :)

Kfox

So your theory is that the Virgin Mary was a hermaphrodite?
No, my theory is a young girl got pregnant, and rather than face shame, she claimed God did it. But as far as what believers believe, the choices are endless.
Look, it's not too much of a leap for anybody who believes in miracles to believe that. It's just amusing that all of this debate over chromosomes ignores the irony, especially in the case where those pushing for a strict binary definition of sex are devout Christians.
I think it would be a mistake to assume Christians are the only ones who believe sexual biology is binary; if I recall…. Biological science is on board with that idea as well.
Evolutionary biology is extremely messy,
What makes it messy?
so the issue here is really one of social accommodation. Transgender individuals are not going to disappear
Nobody is fighting for that
, and they all have the same need to use public restrooms that the rest of us do.
They already have the same use of public restrooms the rest of us have.
If Christ had to pick a restroom, would any Christian quibble over his/her choice of restroom or pronouns? :)
Christians DO have to pick a restroom, and there is no quibble over his/her pronouns with Christians.

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
I think it would be a mistake to assume Christians are the only ones who believe sexual biology is binary; if I recall…. Biological science is on board with that idea as well.
I have already explained to you, multiple times, that that is not the case. You know already that biological sex is bimodal, not binary, as determined by actual biologists.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
The name- Jehovah -ah was changed to Jesus to be a more masculine name years later. Jehovah is a more feminine name.
"Jehovah" is a mistranslation of YHWH as there's no J sound in Hebrew, plus vowels were not included in the Hebrew texts. "Jesus" is Hellenized slang Hebrew for "YHWH saves", and it was a fairly common name during Jesus' time.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Jehovah had long hair too, right?

The name- Jehovah -ah was changed to Jesus to be a more masculine name years later. Jehovah is a more feminine name.
The lomg hair thing is funny. Joshua (closer to what Jesus' name would have been) is frequently and typically portrayed as having long hairddespite it usually being a feminine trait (and of course there are Biblical prohibitions against men not wearing women's things and a prohibition on men with long hair).
Jehovah is the Latinized form of Yahwey. Nothing more.