• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Starting A Religion

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Well, I haven't found a religion that I particularly like, so that has led me to want to make my own

Apparently many have walked this path before. Else we wouldn't have such diversity. You are already your own religion. Total adherents: 1. You tie for last place with about a billion other people. Congratulations. :)

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Yeah, I would say every individual is effectively a religion of one, for no two paths are going to be exactly identical. My religion is my own, for instance, but I identify under a broader religious movement. I'm not sure if the OP is asking for advice on establishing a personal religious path or building a foundation for a religious movement that others will also participate in. There are different considerations for the two.

outhouse

Atheistically
So, if I wanted to start my own religion, how would I go about doing it?

first like any other culture creating their religions, define your religion, define a deity or multiple deities.

Then live your religion.

Then figure out how you would like to include and spread your beliefs maing it attractive enough to gain followers who will pay.

You will start off as a cult, and remain in that status or grow into a movement

D.L.H.

I can't imagine why anyone would want to do that.

If you want some sort of teachings or philosophy that appeals to you don't start a religion. Without the possible exception of Shintoism, there has never been a religion that remains true even to itself, especially once it is sponsored by the state.

Shintoism can be considered to have remained true to itself because it was so ambivalent from the start. Buddhism, for example, was founded to escape the trappings of Hinduism only to surpass them. Taoism and Christianity transmogrified into their opposites, their original teachings all but lost for the fancy of the masses. Why bother?

Sir Doom

Cooler than most of you

First, figure out what exactly you expect to get out of the entire thing.

Second, craft everything backwards from what you expect to get to what is already certain about reality.

Third, change your mind every time something better comes along.

That's all!

Bob Dixon

>implying
Force yourself into or fake a mystical experience.

That's entirely unnecessary and probably a waste of time.

OP, just get a set of beliefs together. If they help you deal with the fact that you're conscious, you've probably got a religion on your hands.

FlyingTeaPot

Irrational Rationalist. Educated Fool.
Oh, you are serious. Well, it is simple, really. All you have to do is take a couple of your friends camping (preferably gullible friends). Make sure you take a couple of Halloween costumes along with you.

Step 1: Take a white sheet and place a couple of balloons in it so that it floats.

Step 2: Wait till 2 AM. All the good stuff happens in the middle of the night when one's faculties are not adjusted properly to the surroundings. Wake up one of your friends and tell them you heard a sound.

Step 3: "Discover" the white sheet floating around near your campsite and yell at your friends that you saw the return of Jesus Christ. Preferably start a fire to make it chaotic.

Step 4: "Go missing" for a couple of hours in search of Jesus. Come back and report to your friends that Jesus told you that you are the chosen one and that you know the exact date of the judgement day, but that you cannot reveal it to the world just yet.

Step 5: Voila!

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Don't know if this qualifies but my son is starting a clothing optional school of Buddhism. Calls himself a Nuddhist.

MetalEverywhere

Rational Skeptic
Just use circular logic that suspends logic and target people who can't read like the others did. Don't try doing the Scientology thing- that dude got lucky.

Vultar

The scientology model would probably be the easiest way to get a following in this day and age. Simply target the famous and voila, you get a bunch of "fan followers" at no charge :D

Muffled

Jesus in me
Well, I haven't found a religion that I particularly like, so that has led me to want to make my own

I have been there and felt that way about it. I believe the problem is that any religion you form will probably be as much in error as any other religion out there.

Muffled

Jesus in me
Just use circular logic that suspends logic and target people who can't read like the others did. Don't try doing the Scientology thing- that dude got lucky.

i believe Scientology uses brainwashing techniques. I went into a center once and was being bamboozled but somehow realized it was happening before it was too late.

Last edited:

BSL

Atheist God
I want to start a new religion.
The basic tenet of the religion is to do whatever pleases you.
If you join the religion, you will be able to fulfill all your wishes and those of the members of the religion.
Somebody make the religion legal and worldwide, and make me your god, the god of pleasure.
I want everybody to call the religion BSLism.
Talk to me at BSLism (Line app)

Darkstorn

This shows how unique i am.

Lots and lots of confirmation bias.

(A lot)

I want to start a new religion.
The basic tenet of the religion is to do whatever pleases you.
If you join the religion, you will be able to fulfill all your wishes and those of the members of the religion.
Somebody make the religion legal and worldwide, and make me your god, the god of pleasure.
I want everybody to call the religion BSLism.
Talk to me at BSLism (Line app)

Isn't that Satanism?