• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Spiritual enlightenment

King Phenomenon

IMG_0593.jpg
I think most people reach enlightenment around 40 years old. Roughly 40% of the worlds population is over 40. I'd say about a quarter of those people have attained enlightenment. Not bad, that's almost 1 billion people. Sound about right? However, I don't think that it's a necessity for a person to reach enlightenment. Don't ask me what I mean by enlightenment because I can't enlighten anyone.
IMG_0588.GIF

Last edited:

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Real enlightenment is the ending of the separative ego and experiencing true, original union with the Divine. The drop's separate existence is ended and union with the 'ocean' achieved. Very very few achieve this.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Real enlightenment is the ending of the separative ego and experiencing true, original union with the Divine. The drop's separate existence is ended and union with the 'ocean' achieved. Very very few achieve this.

Stop doing that. Real in this sense is subjective and I have achieved my enlightenment based on where I am. If you have do it differently then that is so.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
What divine, sun rise? When are we separated from the ocean?
Power Stone is setting a new record of silly topics. Let him achieve his ambition.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
View attachment 42033 I think most people reach enlightenment around 40 years old. Roughly 40% of the worlds population is over 40. I'd say about a quarter of those people have attained enlightenment. Not bad, that's almost 1 billion people. Sound about right? However, I don't think that it's a necessity for a person to reach enlightenment. Don't ask me what I mean by enlightenment because I can't enlighten anyone.View attachment 42027
Are you speaking of spiritual enlightenment? If you are, the numbers you added in OP is wrong.
On earth today it may happen to only be a few truly enlighten beings. Not billion :)

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
What divine, sun rise? When are we separated from the ocean?
Power Stone is setting a new record of silly topics. Let him achieve his ambition.

Well, that depends on what you take for granted. And of course, your assumptions are not silly. It is everybody else different assumptions, which are silly.

Geoff-Allen

Resident megalomaniac
If you want an excellent article about enlightenment and what it may be like - try this site -

One of the problems in explaining enlightenment is that we have to use words. Words are only symbols and don’t give the real understanding. The letters of a word are merely a code that the mind translates into meaning. Words only have meaning if you already have an experiential knowledge of what the words mean. If you were blind could you understand color through just words? Can you describe music to someone using only words? Can you describe the emotion of love only using the symbols of words? Words are only effective at communicating experience if the experience is already known. You know color, music, and emotion because you have perceived them directly. Enlightenment is not an experience that one already has a reference for and so a word description is not likely to be meaningful enough to convey an understanding.

Enlightenment | What is enlightenment | How to become enlightened | Pathway to Happiness

All the best!

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Well, that depends on what you take for granted. And of course, your assumptions are not silly. It is everybody else different assumptions, which are silly.
No, not everybody's, but of a few like Power Stone. What proof has he for what he trumpets? It is trumpeting that gets me. :)
I do believe that there are other members of the forum who have attained enlightenment, not just myself. IMHO, you still have some way to go. :D
I asked Sun Rise a question, because as an atheist I do not believe in anything being 'divine'. He will reply if he so desires.

Last edited:

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
No, not everybody's, but of a few like Power Stone. What proof has he for what he trumpets? It is trumpeting that gets me. :)
I asked Sun Rise a question. He will reply if he so desires.

There is no proof in the end. Not of your beliefs, not of mine or anybody else's beliefs. Sorry to tell you that. But all beleif-systems which in end claim proof as with reason, logic and truth are dogmatic in effect and a form of religion, which ends in special pleading. I.e. I am special, because I have proof, where anybody else fails!

I am a skeptic and the only proof I can give you, is negative proof. That there is a limit to proof, because it is subjective and cognitive and not about the world as such, but how you make sense of the world.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Since I follow science, I would say that at the time of inflation Universe was energy at very high temperatures, and that no supernatural agency is necessary for beginning of life. Would you accept that or you differ?

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Since I follow science, I would say that at the time of inflation Universe was energy at very high temperatures, and that no supernatural agency is necessary for beginning of life. Would you accept that or you differ?

There is no proof of that. That is unprovable assumptions, which only appears to work. Whether I agree or not, is besides the point. The point is that it is without proof.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
View attachment 42033 I think most people reach enlightenment around 40 years old. Roughly 40% of the worlds population is over 40. I'd say about a quarter of those people have attained enlightenment. Not bad, that's almost 1 billion people. Sound about right? However, I don't think that it's a necessity for a person to reach enlightenment. Don't ask me what I mean by enlightenment because I can't enlighten anyone.View attachment 42027

Looking at the world in whole I can't believe even 1% have attained enlightenment.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Looking at the world in whole I can't believe even 1% have attained enlightenment.

Well, I doubt it too. I mean e.g. for some aspects of meta-cognition and other related modes of cognition only around 30% of those who attend higher educations learn/achieve meta-cognition.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I think most people reach enlightenment around 40 years old. Roughly 40% of the worlds population is over 40. I'd say about a quarter of those people have attained enlightenment.
What? I wish this were true. There would be no wars, no liars in office, no poverty, no racism, no inequalities, etc. Not sure where you imagine numbers like this. There's certainly nothing we can see that would support this.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
...my enlightenment...

I don't think trademarking various brands of enlightenment is useful in this discussion. I was enlightened to the the fact that 2+2=4 early in life. That's not what we're talking about here.

I think we're discussing liberation vis-a-vis moksha, nirvana, illumination, etc.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
There is no proof in the end. Not of your beliefs, not of mine or anybody else's beliefs. Sorry to tell you that.

Perhaps not, but there are those who have had a mystical experience, a glimpse behind the proverbial veil, so to speak. Might not be "proof," but it certainly evidence that would lead one to foregone conclusion.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
I don't think trademarking various brands of enlightenment is useful in this discussion. I was enlightened to the the fact that 2+2=4 early in life. That's not what we're talking about here.

I think we're discussing liberation vis-a-vis moksha, nirvana, illumination, etc.

Yeah, I can get that. I don't believe in it, but I can't rule it out, so I am an agnostic in regards to that, if it is real or not.