• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Something from Nothing

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
So nothing could be filled with energy?..........what about space? Since space is something, then it does not qualify as "nothing". It can be acted upon and warped by mass. I still don't get the concept. I can think of no examples of "nothing" to examine.
all matter and energy has motion, or vibration.

space is not empty. space is made up of dark matter/energy and light energy/matter.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
people who have been brain dead for days shouldn't have memories, nor should non-dead people be having dreams; if the brain is only a machine that captures information from outside itself.

What 'Brain-Dead' Means

Im still not following your train of thought. You'd have to say your point them support it with a comment or link etc.

I mentioned

Intillegence continues after death (as per your other article). How I had phrased it is our responses to external stimuli (plant, animal, whatever) are not dependent on the awareness of our brain: our mind. It continues until our bodies die to decay. Intelligence is a wrong word for this because it assumes our living mechanisms and survial of the body somehow "knows" what its doing. It does not. Its isolated.

Consciousness/awareness, I said, is dependent on the brain. Without the workings of the brain, there is no awareness. There is no information that can be understood and stores for present and future use. It isnt tangent. Like lightening and forms of energy, thoughts are just nerve impulses that gather a said full of information via language and translated by mind and presented by speech and/or body.

Consciousness cant exist without the brain. When we have a working brain, we can think. When we think we can develop stronger awareness. We get in touch our awareness and live mindfuly. It doesnt exist after the brain dies.

Your link isnt well structure. I cant find the points.

A person is considered brain-dead when he or she no longer has any neurological activity in the brain or brain stem — meaning no electrical impulses are being sent between brain cells.
Life After Brain Death: Is the Body Still 'Alive'?

When the brain dies, there is no awareness; no consciousness.

How does consciousness continue apart from the brain?

"We know the brain can't function when the heart has stopped beating, but in this case conscious awareness appears to have continued for up to three minutes into the period when the heart wasn't beating," Parnia told The National Post, "even though the brain typically shuts down within 20 to 30 seconds after the heart has stopped." Here's What Happens to Your Brain When You Die

There is a lot of debate about consciousness surviving. I honestly think its another way to study whether or not we will live forever. It also supports some religious claims about consciousness in religious thought. Not bad but I dont see how it relates to god.

Im not getting your point.

Milton Platt

all matter and energy has motion, or vibration.

space is not empty. space is made up of dark matter/energy and light energy/matter.

I agree...so can you provide an example of "nothing" that can be examined to determine it's characteristics?

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Im still not following your train of thought. You'd have to say your point them support it with a comment or link etc.

I mentioned

Intillegence continues after death (as per your other article). How I had phrased it is our responses to external stimuli (plant, animal, whatever) are not dependent on the awareness of our brain: our mind. It continues until our bodies die to decay. Intelligence is a wrong word for this because it assumes our living mechanisms and survial of the body somehow "knows" what its doing. It does not. Its isolated.

Consciousness/awareness, I said, is dependent on the brain. Without the workings of the brain, there is no awareness. There is no information that can be understood and stores for present and future use. It isnt tangent. Like lightening and forms of energy, thoughts are just nerve impulses that gather a said full of information via language and translated by mind and presented by speech and/or body.

Consciousness cant exist without the brain. When we have a working brain, we can think. When we think we can develop stronger awareness. We get in touch our awareness and live mindfuly. It doesnt exist after the brain dies.

Your link isnt well structure. I cant find the points.

A person is considered brain-dead when he or she no longer has any neurological activity in the brain or brain stem — meaning no electrical impulses are being sent between brain cells.
Life After Brain Death: Is the Body Still 'Alive'?

When the brain dies, there is no awareness; no consciousness.

How does consciousness continue apart from the brain?

"We know the brain can't function when the heart has stopped beating, but in this case conscious awareness appears to have continued for up to three minutes into the period when the heart wasn't beating," Parnia told The National Post, "even though the brain typically shuts down within 20 to 30 seconds after the heart has stopped." Here's What Happens to Your Brain When You Die

There is a lot of debate about consciousness surviving. I honestly think its another way to study whether or not we will live forever. It also supports some religious claims about consciousness in religious thought. Not bad but I dont see how it relates to god.

Im not getting your point.
ah, so now the body has to decay. again that doesn't explain information that the consciousness gathers in sleep and dreams.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
I agree...so can you provide an example of "nothing" that can be examined to determine it's characteristics?
uh no. thats my point. how can you create consciousness; if it didn't always exist. that is what most rationalist are claiming that consciousness randomly arose from either ignorance, or nothing.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
ah, so now the body has to decay. again that doesn't explain information that the consciousness gathers in sleep and dreams.

You're changing topics. You didnt mention that in your points. How does consciousness continue once the brain dies (and decays)?

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
You're changing topics. You didnt mention that in your points. How does consciousness continue once the brain dies (and decays)?
in the same way before the brain was formed in the womb.

nonlocal consciousness has shown that a brain is not necessary for a reaction to occur in random number generators, and nde studies.

Journal of Nonlocality

Scientific Journals exploring consciousness, nonlocality, transpersonal psychology and other open science topics - Campaign for Open Science

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
It doesn't "come from". It IS. Consciousness is the I AM. No beginning and no end is consciousness. And, just so you know, Jesus just told me that.
their are those who claim it does. that the brain creates consciousness but there is no peer reviewed research showing so.

what do you call a person who is skeptical of a a skeptic? a double doubting thomas?

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
their are those who claim it does. that the brain creates consciousness but there is no peer reviewed research showing so.

what do you call a person who is skeptical of a a skeptic? a double doubting thomas?
There. I call that a "free one". JSYN

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member

I don't call people names. And, why not? I might be wrong.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
Youre throwing the topic off. Can you answer the question directly?
yes, i can't prove where it goes after a brain decays anymore than i can before a brain is formed.

but science can't prove that a brain creates it either. that is like asking where the electrical impulses in the brain come from and where they go. science has proven that energy cannot be created/destroyed, it can be transformed. the form disappears into some other form but the energy remains constantly in motion.

consciousness doesn't have a form. its not a plant, a human, an avian, a microbe, a slime mold, a brain, or any form exclusive. its all forms inclusive. consciousness is based on movement, vibration, motion. a form is static and consciousness is dynamic.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
yes, i can't prove where it goes after a brain anymore than i can before a brain does before.

but science can't prove that a brain creates it either. that is like asking where the electrical impulses in the brain come from and where they go. science has proven that energy cannot be created/destroyed, it can be transformed. the form disappears into some other form but the energy remains constantly in motion.

consciousness doesn't have a form. its not a plant, a human, an avian, a microbe, a slime mold, or any form exclusive. its all forms inclusive
When I read stuff like this I think what is so very wrong with me?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
yes, i can't prove where it goes after a brain decays anymore than i can before a brain is formed.

I wanted to know how does consciousness continue apart from the brain. If you make a statement consciousness continues after death (however you phrased it) what are you basing your statement on?

Consciousness not intelligence

I dont know how this connects to my comment

consciousness doesn't have a form. its not a plant, a human, an avian, a microbe, a slime mold, a brain, or any form exclusive.

its all forms inclusive. consciousness is based on movement, vibration,

How did you come to that conclusion-movement and vibration?

It just means awareness. It ends when our brains die.

If it continues, how so? (Not proof that it does just support of your statement)