• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Software Feedback Thread

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Tried this on the FAQ thread but perhaps it's better here...

Can somebody explain this new url format? I've noticed people posting links like this

But if I use the same tag structure with unfurl="true" in the URL tag, then it doesn't work:

Unfurling is the term for gaining some information about a URL in order to display a preview as you can see in your post. I have found that this doesn't work for all URLs; sometimes there's no preview even when unfurling is enabled. I suspect that, as @sun rise said, this could be related to the link itself and the kinds of data the software is trying to retrieve (and probably not finding) from it.

Hold

Abducted Member
Premium Member
One of the owners gave a heads-up not to purchase any of these for the time being because they didn't know where the revenue would go. From what said owner told me, I gathered that those options were not put in place by the current owners.
I may be late to the show....I suppose it is not known if the past lifetime memberships will be honored.

ratiocinator

Lightly seared on the reality grill.
When I post links, I just copy the URL and paste it into the link option. I don't change it in any way.
Unfurling is the term for gaining some information about a URL in order to display a preview as you can see in your post. I have found that this doesn't work for all URLs; sometimes there's no preview even when unfurling is enabled. I suspect that, as @sun rise said, this could be related to the link itself and the kinds of data the software is trying to retrieve (and probably not finding) from it.
Thanks for the replies. What I don't get is that both the links in my post were to wikipedia and both had identical tab structures but one expanded and the other didn't. The only difference was that I copied one from somebody else's post and I did the other myself. :confused:

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
I may be late to the show....I suppose it is not known if the past lifetime memberships will be honored.

The owners told us today that premium members were not supposed to see ads, so they are looking into it to see how to disable ads for premium members again. They had intended to enable ads for regular members only.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Thanks for the replies. What I don't get is that both the links in my post were to wikipedia and both had identical tab structures but one expanded and the other didn't. The only difference was that I copied one from somebody else's post and I did the other myself. :confused:

Test:

I see no difference between the two in this post (I'm browsing from a phone right now, for extra info), but I'm not sure what caused the variation between them in yours.

The first link above is to the regular Wikipedia site, while the second one is the mobile version (with m. In the URL). I guess that might make a difference, but I'm not sure.

ratiocinator

I see no difference between the two in this post (I'm browsing from a phone right now, for extra info), but I'm not sure what caused the variation between them in yours.

The first link above is to the regular Wikipedia site, while the second one is the mobile version (with m. In the URL). I guess that might make a difference, but I'm not sure.
Now I'm really confused.

My original post (here) is now showing the two as both expanded whereas before (before you reposted..!?) they were displaying differently, the second one just as a plain url. Looks rather like the software doesn't like me and won't expand a link until somebody else posts it... :(

ratiocinator

Just a thought. Did you just paste the url into your post or did you add the URL tags with the unfurl="true" yourself? Perhaps I'm trying to be too clever here and should just paste the url and let the software add the tags - even though it doesn't expand 'Preview' (which is what I tried first)?

ratiocinator

Now it's expanding everything even in preview. Oh well - I guess it seems to be working now. I really have no idea what happened.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Just a thought. Did you just paste the url into your post or did you add the URL tags with the unfurl="true" yourself? Perhaps I'm trying to be too clever here and should just paste the url and let the software add the tags - even though it doesn't expand 'Preview' (which is what I tried first)?

I just pasted them.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
So... when are 'new threads' gonna?
It's unclear if that widget is still available on the software. I've looked at other Xenforo sites/themes and the only ones I've seen are 'latest posts' and 'trending topics.'

The staff has asked the owners for this, so they are aware of the request.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
It's unclear if that widget is still available on the software. I've looked at other Xenforo sites/themes and the only ones I've seen are 'latest posts' and 'trending topics.'

The staff has asked the owners for this, so they are aware of the request.

I once got a job by saying I did not know something I was asked but told the interviewers exactly how I'd find out.

May not apply to this version but:

We have a partial solution for this on our forum.

Create a new widget (Appearance->Widgets). Use "New Threads" for the widget definition, and set it to show as many new threads as you want. Do not set a display position. Set a widget key (ours is called "newthreadspage").

Create a new page node for the new widget (Forums->Nodes). Specify "Page" for the Node type, select "none" for Parent node and do not select "Display in the node list". In the "Template HTML" box add <xf:widget key="newthreadspage" /> (replace "newthreadspage" with whatever you used for your widget key). Specify a URL in the URL portion (ours is called "new-threads").

Add a navigation item to the "What's new" menu (Setup->Public navigation). Use {{ link('pages/new-threads') }} for the Link (replace "new-threads" with whatever you used for the URL of the page node.

Add a similar navigation item to the "Forums" menu.

If you use a New Threads widget on your forums sidebar or at the top of the "What's new" page (we have both) and want the Title of that widget to link to your New Threads page, you will need to edit the widget_new_threads template. See this thread for more about that.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I discovered a trick.....
Problem:
When posting a new post or edit, it often takes a long time to finalize.
Clicking to post it again sometimes results in double posting.
Solution.
Click to post.
If there's a delay, click on <refresh>.
It posts immediately.

Last edited:

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Having become aware of today's news headlines, I'm cynically moved to note how short a time it's been since the new software was installed and how vast the list of improvements that have been made since then.

Last edited:

ajay0

I think the new software is good though I miss the cool frubals.

However I remember the smiling and cheerful faces in the artwork at the top, which is not present now. It seems more dark and grim. The smile is praised as a symbol and trait of courage, love and compassion in many religions.

It is said that a smile is the shortest distance between two hearts, and that one ought to face adversity with a grin and smile. For me, it symbolized the fun and joy of friendships between various people of different backgrounds over here, and admired the theme presented by the artist. Hopefully this can be rectified, or adhered to in future software modifications.

1685684947247.png

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I think the new software is good though I miss the cool frubals.

However I remember the smiling and cheerful faces in the artwork at the top, which is not present now. It seems more dark and grim. The smile is praised as a symbol and trait of courage, love and compassion in many religions.

It is said that a smile is the shortest distance between two hearts, and that one ought to face adversity with a grin and smile. For me, it symbolized the fun and joy of friendships between various people of different backgrounds over here, and admired the theme presented by the artist. Hopefully this can be rectified, or adhered to in future software modifications.

View attachment 78086
I think they've been faceless the whole time I've been here.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I think they've been faceless the whole time I've been here.
The owners are certainly faceless. Even the most obvious and needed fix, email, or the small fixes easily doable in the configs are not done. Even the minimal effort in helping those that run the board are not done which of course is equivalent to "we don't give a rat's ***"

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
The owners are certainly faceless. Even the most obvious and needed fix, email, or the small fixes easily doable in the configs are not done. Even the minimal effort in helping those that run the board are not done which of course is equivalent to "we don't give a rat's ***"