• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

So Who Are The Adults Pulling The Strings of the Child Climate Change Protests?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
These starving polar bears falsely blamed on climate change have scared kids to death

These starving polar bears falsely blamed on climate change have scared kids to death

Dr Susan Crockford -- White Lie: The Cruel Abuse of a Starving Polar Bear

Now you are repeating your error and relying on liars and loons. So one more time.

It does not matter if some polar bears are doing worse.

It does not matter if some polar bears are doing better.

What matters is what is happening to the total population.

Why is this so hard to understand?

Jose Fly

Fisker of men
It's abundantly obvious that this young lady's speech has triggered something in some folks (mostly conservatives) on a very personal and visceral level. Since she gave her speech, I've seen her likened to Nazis and her speech likened to Nazi propaganda. I've seen people claim she is the victim of abuse, that she is being used by some unknown shadow group, and that she's just desperate for attention. And that's just the tip of the iceberg.

Why? What was it about her and/or her speech that set off these ridiculous, over the top reactions? Is the prospect that human-caused climate change may be real that threatening to these folks? Is the possibility that the world's climatologists just might have been right for the last several decades sooooooo scary that they'll stoop to associating concerned 16 year olds with Nazis? Is it that because climate change denialism is such a central part of modern conservatism, anything that threatens it must be counter-attacked at all costs so that tribe's narrative can be maintained?

This is crazy.

Last edited:

Notanumber

A Free Man
Team? they are not her team, they only asked her if she wanted a ride. So the fault would be their, not hers.
She did not ask them to fly, she did not pay them to do the job for her, And no you can not twist this to be she bribed them to let her stay on the boat for free, they WANTED to help her.

Do you have a record of how many times she flew more than you?

How do you know if her or her parents asked for anything or what they asked for or what they did not ask for?

I am only guessing but it would be a safe bet that her parents alone have flown more than I have.

As Jordan Peterson asks - How can you solve a problem if you can’t even measure the consequences of your actions?

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
How do you know if her or her parents asked for anything or what they asked for or what they did not ask for?

I am only guessing but it would be a safe bet that her parents alone have flown more than I have.

As Jordan Peterson asks - How can you solve a problem if you can’t even measure the consequences of your actions?

What makes you think that the consequences of one's actions cannot be measured when it comes to climate change? It is the actions of humanity as a whole that need to be measured and it is the actions of humanity as a whole that need to be changed. One person on their own could own a fleet of Ford Excursions towing monstrous campers. His contribution would not amount to a hill of beans. But if you have a billion people driving motor vehicles that addition to the problem can be measured and action can be taken to remedy it.

I am not a fan of Al Gore because at times it appear that he is a classic case of "do as I say, not as I do" but even in his case if he can get a net drop in the use of fossil fuels he is plus for the battle against AGW.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want

I don't know her parents so I do not know what they do or don't, And this discussion is about Greta, not her parents. Greta is the one teaching them about environmental issues.
I do not know if the boat crew talked to her parents.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want

Why is it so difficult to understand that people want to support a better climate

ecco

Veteran Member
I don't like posting this, but let me just say that anyone at this stage who doesn't accept the fact that climate change is taking place and that most of it is caused by human endeavors simply are self-inflicted fools.

It's pretty much in the category of flat-earthism and young-earth creationism.

Excluding persons who have vested business interests...
For the most part, the people who deny AGW are the same people who deny Evolution. Part of the problem might be that they believe that any day now, Jesus will come riding in and save all their good souls.

ecco

Veteran Member
I assure you the world will not cease to exist in 12 years.
Yay! You are correct! The world will not cease to exist in 12 years.

c16cdacbd220e776991f5ef8fa240f9a.jpg

ecco

Veteran Member
She is being used by the unscrupulous.
Please provide some evidence to support your assertion.

On the other hand...

Greta Thunberg - Wikipedia
Thunberg says she first heard about climate change in 2011, when she was 8 years old, and could not understand why so little was being done about it.[11]
For about two years, Thunberg challenged her parents to lower the family's carbon footprint by becoming vegan and giving up flying, which in part meant her mother had to give up her international career as an opera singer.[9][14] Thunberg credits her parents' eventual response and lifestyle changes with giving her hope and belief that she could make a difference.[9] The family story is recounted in the 2018 book Scenes from the Heart.[15]

In late 2018, Thunberg began the school climate strikes and public speeches by which she has become an internationally recognized climate activist. Her father does not like her missing school, but said: "[We] respect that she wants to make a stand. She can either sit at home and be really unhappy, or protest, and be happy".[14] Thunberg says her teachers are divided in their views about her missing class to make her point. She says: "As people they think what I am doing is good, but as teachers they say I should stop."[14]
That does not sound like she is being manipulated by your imaginary unscrupulous persons.

BTW, How does global warming conflict with your creationist beliefs?

ecco

Veteran Member
Too late to do what exactly?
Since you asked...

The Great Barrier Reef is losing its ability to recover from bleaching
Global warming is destroying the Great Barrier Reef’s ability to recover from disasters and reducing its biodiversity by changing the species that live there.

Around half of Australia’s Great Barrier Reef died off in 2016 and 2017 after ocean temperatures warmed enough to cause mass bleaching, where heat stresses coral to the point that it expels the colourful algae living inside it.​

I await your response.

ecco

Veteran Member
The point is that polar bears are not starving but that misinformation was used to radicalise and indoctrinate her.

Polar bear - Wikipedia
Although most polar bears are born on land, they spend most of their time on the sea ice. Their scientific name means "maritime bear" and derives from this fact. Polar bears hunt their preferred food of seals from the edge of sea ice, often living off fat reserves when no sea ice is present. Because of their dependence on the sea ice, polar bears are classified as marine mammals.[10]

Because of expected habitat loss caused by climate change, the polar bear is classified as a vulnerable species.​

Last edited:

ecco

Veteran Member
As I said earlier, she is being used by the unscrupulous.

As I said earlier, provide evidence. Posting a youtube video is meaningless.

Your video begins with an unidentified man talking. Why should anyone, including you, listen to the ramblings of an unidentified youtube poster?

Actually that question was rhetorical. We know why you would listen to the ramblings of an unidentified youtube poster - it is the only place you can get confirmation of your nonsensical views.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
It's abundantly obvious that this young lady's speech has triggered something in some folks (mostly conservatives) on a very personal and visceral level.
I'm watching triggering & frenzied response from both sides.
Fortunately for all, I'm above the fray.
I didn't see her or hear her speech, so I've no opinion of it.
But I will say that young folk should speak up when they want.

shmogie

This seems like a disingenuous comment to me. For example, let's say that if we don't make HUGE changes, in 12 years there will be no way to stop sea levels from rising such that ONE BILLION people will be displaced from their homes in the next 30-40 years. (This BTW, is a pretty plausible estimate.) Would all life on the planet cease to exist? Of course not. But imagine what impact ONE BILLION homeless people would have on society. Society as we know it would - in fact - cease to exist.

So @shmogie - what's an acceptable degradation of our environment to you? Such that you can smugly say "well, the planet still exists".
What are the HUGE changes do you propose be made in the next 12 years ? How are you going to get China, India, Russia and the rest of the world to make these huge changes ? The US and Western Europe have made giant strides at cutting carbon emissions, at the cost of of billions of dollars, yet it doesn´t mean a lot with the rest of the world just polluting away.

I am personally leery of science´s predictions. I was around when science declared that the world had run out of oil, that was almost 50 tears ago. I was around when science declared overpopulation would destroy human society and institutions bringing massive starvation by the year 2000. I was around when a major well respected news magazine had a science inspired cover staring ¨ How to Prepare for the Coming Ice age" and had articles following this them. Al Gore, America´s climate change prophet, who has become very wealthy in that role, has made numerous predictions he sayś are based in the science, that have been foolishly wrong. Science, in my view, based upon itś past predictions, has become the little boy crying wolf ! wolf ! Is the real wolf here ?

In the US, climate change radicals demand that the most robust economy in the world be destroyed to meet their demands, is the rest of the world going to do the same ?

Climate change has been occurring since the creation of the earth. It most likely was a huge contributing factor to the extinction of the Neanderthal people.

We are told that the current climate change is accelerated by human activity, OK.

Do you know for a fact what humans can do to stop it ? Do you know for a fact it can be stopped ?

Sometimes the cure is worse than the disease, have you done an unemotional stark analysis of benefits versus overall costs ? I am reminded of the old joke, the surgery went perfectly, but the patient died.

So, what do we know for a fact. The climate appears to be warming. The physical status quo of the earth may be effected as a result. Human activity is likely contributing to this effect. Based on these, significantly curtailing human caused Co2 emissions could result in stopping the rising of the earths temperature.

Why has 12 years become the magic number and drop dead date ? Who came up with this based on what ?

Many believe that this whole issue is being manipulated to centralize power and control over individuals. To strengthen central power, and reduce individual liberty. In effect, climate change reduction efforts on a vast scale will impact individuals in most facets of their life, and eliminate individual freedom in those areaś, do you have a comment on this aspect ?

Obviously, a well thought out program, adopted on a worldwide basis, with verification of compliance and a method dealing with cheaters and non compliers.

This will not happen in 12 years, guaranteed. So, if in 12 years there is no hope to deal with the problem, then each nation should use itś resources to prepare itś people to adapt to the reality of what might occur.

Worldwide climate change martial law is not going to happen. Nations destroying their economies on climate change strategies is not going to happen in 12 years.

It may, or may not ( based on the track record of science in predicting disasters) be a massive problem, for which no comprehensive, affordable, doable plan exists to combat it. There are many who believe the situation is not as dire as predicted, including some climate scientists.

I, myself, am on the fence, I simply don´t know.

If 12 years is the drop dead certainty, then expect it. No matter what the US and Western Europe tries, they alone cannot unilaterally change the direction of the ship, though I support reasonably possible efforts.

So, climate change purists can terrify children, block traffic, and all the other stuff they pull, it is not going to change the attitudes of the world quickly, certainly not in 12 years.

Then of course there are nations that will take this massive effort as an opportunity to extend their national and international power, with little sympathy for the true effort.

Facts, and all the wailing will not change them. I don like to rain on peoples parades, but I am a pragmatist, I try to objectively face reality. So, IF climate change is going to wreak havoc in 12 years, I hope I am wrong in my observations, butvI don think I am.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
What are the HUGE changes do you propose be made in the next 12 years ? How are you going to get China, India, Russia and the rest of the world to make these huge changes ? The US and Western Europe have made giant strides at cutting carbon emissions, at the cost of of billions of dollars, yet it doesn´t mean a lot with the rest of the world just polluting away.

I am personally leery of science´s predictions. I was around when science declared that the world had run out of oil, that was almost 50 tears ago. I was around when science declared overpopulation would destroy human society and institutions bringing massive starvation by the year 2000. I was around when a major well respected news magazine had a science inspired cover staring ¨ How to Prepare for the Coming Ice age" and had articles following this them. Al Gore, America´s climate change prophet, who has become very wealthy in that role, has made numerous predictions he sayś are based in the science, that have been foolishly wrong. Science, in my view, based upon itś past predictions, has become the little boy crying wolf ! wolf ! Is the real wolf here ?

In the US, climate change radicals demand that the most robust economy in the world be destroyed to meet their demands, is the rest of the world going to do the same ?

Climate change has been occurring since the creation of the earth. It most likely was a huge contributing factor to the extinction of the Neanderthal people.

We are told that the current climate change is accelerated by human activity, OK.

Do you know for a fact what humans can do to stop it ? Do you know for a fact it can be stopped ?

Sometimes the cure is worse than the disease, have you done an unemotional stark analysis of benefits versus overall costs ? I am reminded of the old joke, the surgery went perfectly, but the patient died.

So, what do we know for a fact. The climate appears to be warming. The physical status quo of the earth may be effected as a result. Human activity is likely contributing to this effect. Based on these, significantly curtailing human caused Co2 emissions could result in stopping the rising of the earths temperature.

Why has 12 years become the magic number and drop dead date ? Who came up with this based on what ?

Many believe that this whole issue is being manipulated to centralize power and control over individuals. To strengthen central power, and reduce individual liberty. In effect, climate change reduction efforts on a vast scale will impact individuals in most facets of their life, and eliminate individual freedom in those areaś, do you have a comment on this aspect ?

Obviously, a well thought out program, adopted on a worldwide basis, with verification of compliance and a method dealing with cheaters and non compliers.

This will not happen in 12 years, guaranteed. So, if in 12 years there is no hope to deal with the problem, then each nation should use itś resources to prepare itś people to adapt to the reality of what might occur.

Worldwide climate change martial law is not going to happen. Nations destroying their economies on climate change strategies is not going to happen in 12 years.

It may, or may not ( based on the track record of science in predicting disasters) be a massive problem, for which no comprehensive, affordable, doable plan exists to combat it. There are many who believe the situation is not as dire as predicted, including some climate scientists.

I, myself, am on the fence, I simply don´t know.

If 12 years is the drop dead certainty, then expect it. No matter what the US and Western Europe tries, they alone cannot unilaterally change the direction of the ship, though I support reasonably possible efforts.

So, climate change purists can terrify children, block traffic, and all the other stuff they pull, it is not going to change the attitudes of the world quickly, certainly not in 12 years.

Then of course there are nations that will take this massive effort as an opportunity to extend their national and international power, with little sympathy for the true effort.

Facts, and all the wailing will not change them. I don like to rain on peoples parades, but I am a pragmatist, I try to objectively face reality. So, IF climate change is going to wreak havoc in 12 years, I hope I am wrong in my observations, butvI don think I am.
If we was able to stop all poliution right now, today, it still would take 40 years before the real evidence show it self in a lot better air and water quality. Because the excess Co2 will be in the atmosphere for many many years, before the planet would be able to prosess it

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
@shmogie

I am happy to rely on what the overwhelming majority of scientists are telling us. So is Greta.

As for your concern that other countries might not follow suit, or that perhaps it's not such an emergency:

1 - Why is brinksmanship such a common argument, it seems such a needlessly high risk approach?

[GALLERY=media, 8863]Climate-hoax by icehorse posted Mar 9, 2019 at 1:15 PM[/GALLERY]

Last edited: