• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Slavery was a choice

suncowiam

We do not know whether he was under the influence of any mental breakdown. If I say two plus two equals four, am I wrong mathematically? You'd say no. What if I told you I haven't taken lithium in months is my answer no less correct because of my non usage of my medication? Point is you can still make rational judgments and irrational judgments independent of your mental disorder. What red flags it are things that are outrageous and indicative of mental instability. My point is just because Kanye is bipolar does not mean he is free from scrutiny. He can still be under medication and still make stupid comments. I actually work with patients with mental disorders for a living.

And I told you... If he apologizes later then I'll make no issue of this. For now, he's definitely wrong.

suncowiam

I get that @suncowiam but does he have any history of doing just that? I've never heard him, not that I follow him at all, walk back something he said begging forgiveness. Has he done so in the past?

He has a history of not taking his medication.

Like I mentioned earlier. If he apologizes then I'll make no issue of this... For now, he's wrong.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Next up...getting genocided is a choice....by some stupid celebrity.
Actually dear, sweet ol' Mahmoud Abbas did something like this just recently in a speech where he claimed that Jews were responsible for the Holocaust because they practiced usury and money lending. That was only one of the gems his laid out in his tirade against Jews. And that is coming from the highest ranking "Palestinian" on the planet.

Palestinian Leader Incites Uproar With Speech Condemned as Anti-Semitic

Last edited:

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
He has a history of not taking his medication.

Like I mentioned earlier. If he apologizes then I'll make no issue of this... For now, he's wrong.
Has he ever walked back a comment citing the reasons you have given?

Last edited:

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
That's fine.

I'm not a Kanye fan at all... Just harboring a perspective of mental illness.
I take it from your non-answer that he has, in fact, never walked back any previous comments citing his mental illness.

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
If you think it's 'stupidity', then provide a counterpoint. Stupidity to me would be, well, your post. An emotional kneejerk free of any semblance of intelligent rejoinder. 85% of Africa lives in abject poverty far worse than any American ghetto. No welfare or foodstamps to fall back on there...

If not for slavery, Africa is where most American blacks of today would be. You can feel how you want to feel about it, but it's still the truth.
None of what you said does anything to erase racism from anyone's thinking. So, just like Epic taking on Kanye I'm not going to let a divisive statement stand when fellow Americans are hurt by stupid thinking.

suncowiam

I take it from your non-answer that he has, in fact, never walked back any previous comments citing his mental illness.

No he has not at least to my knowledge. But what does that even implies? What does that suggest of mental illness?

If a kid that was mentally handicapped did some bad behavior, I think we could find some perspective to understand that the kids behavior wasn't that bad to begin with. We be a bit more compassionate to find ways to help or support that kid. Yeah, Kanye's an adult, but I'm leaving room hear to suggest that his mental illness contributes to some of his destructive behavior. Maybe I'm wrong... Maybe I'm right... I'm just waiting before I pass full judgement.

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
I'm saying there are a lot of people that I live with and have lived with throughout my life, who are benefiting from the fact that their ancestors were brought over here as slaves.

Thanks to their ancestors being brought over here as slaves, they live in America instead of Africa.

The people I'm referring to do not work. Yet they get free healthcare, free taxi rides to medical appointments, free bus tokens, free bus cards, free Walmart gift cards, free cell phone with internet access, lots of opportunities for grants and financial assistance with college if they choose that route, free meals at the Dorothy day, and food stamps, and Government money.

They absolutely are benefiting from their ancestors being brought over here as slaves. How can you say any differently? I'm not going to deny what's obvious!

Is slavery extremely evil? Of course it is! Many people of European descent laid down their lives and shed their blood to end slavery.

But I'm still not going to deny that there's a lot of people, whose ancestors were slaves, who are currently benefiting from the changes in geography that resulted from slavery. That's obvious!
And all of that does what to foster better race relations...like we need anything like race relations. How about treating fellow human beings with dignity? Call it better human relations.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
And all of that does what to foster better race relations...like we need anything like race relations. How about treating fellow human beings with dignity? Call it better human relations.
Human beings should be treated with dignity, and I have made many friends whose ancestors were brought over here as slaves.

It disgusts me to see how poorly the blacks have been treated by whites, and they have every reason to have some resentments about the way their ancestors were treated in the past.

However, I'm not going to deny an obvious fact, that many of these people are treated far better in America, then they would be treated in the average country in Africa.

They are benefiting very much from the fact that their ancestors were brought over here.

It's an obvious fact.

Look at how many people in Africa don't even have running water or safe Water:
Water scarcity in Africa - Wikipedia

Could you imagine not having a shower, not having a washing machine to clean your clothing, not having hygiene products, that feeling of always being filthy and having body odor? Pooping on the ground or in a hole without flushable toilets or plumbing?

I would rather be dead than live like that.

Not to mention they don't have access to basic medicine or surgery, and sometimes not know where their next meal comes from.

Here in America, they don't even have to work, and all those things are provided for them by the Government and Christian charities.

Hence, there are some people who are benefiting immensely, with a much higher quality of life, as a result of their ancestors being brought over here as slaves.

That is an obvious undeniable fact that you cannot refute!

Spiderman

Veteran Member
None of what you said does anything to erase racism from anyone's thinking. So, just like Epic taking on Kanye I'm not going to let a divisive statement stand when fellow Americans are hurt by stupid thinking.
If you aren't going to let such a statement stand, it would be very wise of you to start producing some facts that would prove otherwise, otherwise what you are showing is that you have no ability to refute the statement, therefore you are actually just reinforcing the statement. ;)

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
Human beings should be treated with dignity, and I have made many friends whose ancestors were brought over here as slaves.

It disgusts me to see how poorly the blacks have been treated by whites, and they have every reason to have some resentments about the way their ancestors were treated in the past.

However, I'm not going to deny an obvious fact, that many of these people are treated far better in America, then they would be treated in the average country in Africa.

They are benefiting very much from the fact that their ancestors were brought over here.

It's an obvious fact.

Look at how many people in Africa don't even have running water or safe Water:
Water scarcity in Africa - Wikipedia

Could you imagine not having a shower, not having a washing machine to clean your clothing, not having hygiene products, that feeling of always being filthy and having body odor? Pooping on the ground or in a hole without flushable toilets or plumbing?

I would rather be dead than live like that.

Not to mention they don't have access to basic medicine or surgery, and sometimes not know where their next meal comes from.

Here in America, they don't even have to work, and all those things are provided for them by the Government and Christian charities.

Hence, there are some people who are benefiting immensely, with a much higher quality of life, as a result of their ancestors being brought over here as slaves.

That is an obvious undeniable fact that you cannot refute!
So this is a straw man argument for racism?

Last edited:

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
If you aren't going to let such a statement stand, it would be very wise of you to start producing some facts that would prove otherwise, otherwise what you are showing is that you have no ability to refute the statement, therefore you are actually just reinforcing the statement. ;)
It's a straw man. How does telling oppressed individual to count his blessings because he's not free and poverty stricken back where his ancestors were stolen from help his dehumanization today?

Spiderman

Veteran Member
It's a straw man. How does telling oppressed individual to count his blessings because he's not free and poverty stricken back where his ancestors were stolen from help his dehumanization today?
I have met many black people who I admire very much, some of them who I interact with on a daily basis.

I have done volunteer work in the ghettos of Buffalo New York, have worked at soup kitchens in the ghettos of Chicago with missionaries of charity , and found myself in many living situations, where the majority of people were not white, and am actually very impressed with how well the government and the Christian Charities are reaching out to help these poor, disenfranchised, and sometimes homeless people.

I don't see the government instituting any laws that are dehumanizing them. I see the government caring for their needs.

I feel that pointing out such facts can better help foster good racial relations, by pointing out all the good that people of European descent have done for other ethnicities, rather than just focusing on the evils of slavery and discrimination.

Slavery, bigotry, and all sorts of other crimes against humanity are still practiced in our world, and the hot spots where such practices are most prevalent, are not found in America or Europe.

I'm more concerned about what's going on in the 21st century.

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
I have met many black people who I admire very much, some of them who I interact with on a daily basis.

I have done volunteer work in the ghettos of Buffalo New York, have worked at soup kitchens in the ghettos of Chicago with missionaries of charity , and found myself in many living situations, where the majority of people were not white, and am actually very impressed with how well the government and the Christian Charities are reaching out to help these poor, disenfranchised, and sometimes homeless people.

I don't see the government instituting any laws that are dehumanizing them. I see the government caring for their needs.

I feel that pointing out such facts can better help foster good racial relations, by pointing out all the good that people of European descent have done for other ethnicities, rather than just focusing on the evils of slavery and discrimination.

Slavery, bigotry, and all sorts of other crimes against humanity are still practiced in our world, and the hot spots where such practices are most prevalent, are not found in America or Europe.

I'm more concerned about what's going on in the 21st century.
Congratulations, you responded to a criticism of your straw man argument with a second straw man and another white man cliche..I have black friends. I just have friends.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
And for the record, I want nothing to do with hillbillies and white supremacists.

But I have developed a healthy distaste for political correctness, and am simply pointing out an irrefutable fact, that some people are benefitting from their ancestors being brought over here, and in the environment I live, I see it every day.

Spiderman

Veteran Member
Congratulations, you responded to a criticism of your straw man argument with a second straw man and another white man cliche..I have black friends. I just have friends.
That wasn't all I said. I pointed out to you many obvious facts that you refused to refute, so it is indeed you that have presented a straw man!

Have a nice day! :)