• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sikhism: Ask your questions

Onkara

Does the concept of "brothers" and "sisters" exist in Sikhism and the Sikh community (similar to Islam for example)?

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
I always get confused with auntie and uncle, since there are so many different versions. I can't remember which is the more 'correct' one to use. Maybe Gursikh bhai or chinu bhai will be able to tell you that. :D

GURSIKH

chardi kla
Does the concept of "brothers" and "sisters" exist in Sikhism and the Sikh community (similar to Islam for example)?

hi Onkaara ji ;),

Concept of "brothers" and "sister " means brotherhood of all mankind /humanity .

ਨਾ ਕੋ ਮੇਰਾ ਦੁਸਮਨੁ ਰਹਿਆ ਨਾ ਹਮ ਕਿਸ ਕੇ ਬੈਰਾਈ ॥
No one is my enemy, and I am no one's enemy.

ਬ੍ਰਹਮੁ ਪਸਾਰੁ ਪਸਾਰਿਓ ਭੀਤਰਿ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਤੇ ਸੋਝੀ ਪਾਈ ॥੨॥
Brahm, who expanded His expanse, is within all; I learned this from the True Guru. ||2||

ਸਭੁ ਕੋ ਮੀਤੁ ਹਮ ਆਪਨ ਕੀਨਾ ਹਮ ਸਭਨਾ ਕੇ ਸਾਜਨ ॥
I am a friend to all; I am everyone's friend.

ਦੂਰਿ ਪਰਾਇਓ ਮਨ ਕਾ ਬਿਰਹਾ ਤਾ ਮੇਲੁ ਕੀਓ ਮੇਰੈ ਰਾਜਨ ॥੩॥
When the sense of separation was removed from my mind, then I was united with the Lord, my King. ||3||

ਬਿਨਸਿਓ ਢੀਠਾ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤੁ ਵੂਠਾ ਸਬਦੁ ਲਗੋ ਗੁਰ ਮੀਠਾ ॥
My stubbornness is gone, Ambrosial Nectar rains down, and the Word of the Guru's Shabad seems so sweet to me.

ਜਲਿ ਥਲਿ ਮਹੀਅਲਿ ਸਰਬ ਨਿਵਾਸੀ ਨਾਨਕ ਰਮਈਆ ਡੀਠਾ ॥੪॥੩॥
He is pervading everywhere, in the water, on the land and in the sky; Nanak beholds the all-pervading Lord. ||4||3||

Last edited:

chinu

chinu
hardest question ever:D
but for a few: Mom Brother: Mama G
Father's elder brother: Taya G
Fathers Younger Brother: Chaha G
Mothers Sis: Masi G
Fathers Sis: Bhua G
And.. Brother in law is: Sala mera :D
But please don't use this for anyone, even for real brother in law. ;)

_/\_
Chinu

illykitty

RF's pet cat
It might sound like a silly question but unshorn hair is not shaving as well? I would comply with not cutting my hair but not shaving? That would drive me nuts!

Also what about the undergarment? Are the 5 Ks exactly the same for men and women?

One last thing, I know the 5 Ks aren't all that Sikhism is about but surely you guys don't like a hairy woman... Or do you? :p (This is meant to be a funny question - And to some degree informative!)

Other than that, I don't have any questions for now... It's a really nice religion, with some really impressive temples (one close to me is in Leamington Spa, UK - check out the pics, they are impressive). I'm really interested in learning more about it, at least for the sake of curiousity.

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
It might sound like a silly question but unshorn hair is not shaving as well? I would comply with not cutting my hair but not shaving? That would drive me nuts!
For one who observes the five ks -- such as those who are baptised into the Khālsā (Baptised Sikhs), it's no cutting, shaving, plucking, lazoring, sugaring, anything like that. If one wants to remove their hair, then they do not have to take the ceremony of initiation into the Khālsā. For one who is, though, the use of the razor (modifying God's creation, which is perfect), is not permitted.

A sizeable chunk of unbaptized people who still who keep unshorn hair, but pluck or shave from other parts, such as eyebrows and legs.

Also what about the undergarment? Are the 5 Ks exactly the same for men and women?
Yup. Sikhism's wholly equal. Men and women are given the same treatment.

One last thing, I know the 5 Ks aren't all that Sikhism is about but surely you guys don't like a hairy woman... Or do you? :p (This is meant to be a funny question - And to some degree informative!)
Lol, you're right - Sikhism isn't only about the five ks - in fact, in reality they're a pretty small part of it, and not all Sikhs keep the five ks as they aren't spiritually ready to do that - and may never be.

As to liking a hairy woman.. I have no idea. :D

GURSIKH

chardi kla
.. with some really impressive temples (one close to me is in Leamington Spa, UK - check out the pics, they are impressive).

ya its beautiful , few pictures of Guru Nanak s birth celebration (NOVEMBER 2009) at Leamington

img_3344_20091026_1910217481.jpg

img_3416_20091026_1337067445.jpg

img_3449_20091026_1239706049.jpg

img_3470_20091026_2022563063.jpg

img_3478_20091026_1906919443.jpg

img_3498_20091026_1337181396.jpg

img_3499_20091026_1654056253.jpg

This year Guru Nanak birthday (Gurpurab) is on 10th November !

Renji

I'm not really familiar with Sikhism because there are no Sikh's here in my location (if there is, maybe just a few of them). What is it? What do you folks believe in?

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
I'm not really familiar with Sikhism because there are no Sikh's here in my location (if there is, maybe just a few of them). What is it? What do you folks believe in?
The Sikh philosophy is summed up in the Mool Mantar, or Mul Mantra.

"Ek Onkar Satnaam. kartaa purakh. Nirbhao, nirvair. Akaal murat, ajuni saibhang gur prasad."

In English, this is something like this:

Ek onkar = One God,
Sat naam = true-txistence is His name (or essence)
kartaa purakh = the personification of creativity
nirbhao, nirvair = no fear, no hatred
akaal murat = the Being beyond time
ajuni saibhang = unborn, self existent
gur prasad = the graceful Guru (or Enlightener).

Some people prefer different words, but the meaning is the same. The last part, gur prasad, is sometimes translated to "By the grace of the guru He is known". I'm not keen on this translation though as it makes it seem more prone to a misunderstanding.

Otherwise, Sikhism's philosophy can be summed up as:

• There is One God in all (panentheism)
  • Remember him always, and chant His name
  • Do good for goodness' sake, not for reward
  • Reincarnation until we join with God
  • Earn a livelihood by one's own, honest means (not begging, living off alms, theft, etc)
  • Give to charity and share what you can
  • Replace the five thieves (lust, rage, greed, worldly-attachment, and egotism) with the five virtues (truth, compassion, contentment, humility, and love).

Sikh philosophy in a nutshell. :)

Renji

I see. Speaking of guru(s), does Sikhism include the teachings/principles of Guru Nanak? Just curious because I've seen a temple near my place which is named "Guru nanak sar satsai baba temple".

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
I see. Speaking of guru(s), does Sikhism include the teachings/principles of Guru Nanak? Just curious because I've seen a temple near my place which is named "Guru nanak sar satsai baba temple".
Guru Nanak is the founder of Sikhism. :)

Renji

Guru Nanak is the founder of Sikhism. :)

Oh, ok. My bad!:D Anyway, I was wondering, I've seen long ago that the temple ,that I was talking about earlier, has a crucifix with Jesus Christ nailed on it, it was many years ago. I wonder why??

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Oh, ok. My bad!:D Anyway, I was wondering, I've seen long ago that the temple ,that I was talking about earlier, has a crucifix with Jesus Christ nailed on it, it was many years ago. I wonder why??
Odd.
I have absolutely no idea. :D

Renji

Odd.
I have absolutely no idea. :D

Okay, that thing actually tickled my mind.
biggrin.gif
I mean, why do they have a Christian symbol such as that (it is already removed many years ago by the way)? Thanks for answering anyway.

SageTree

Spiritual Friend
Premium Member
^ Could it be an attempt to be welcoming to Christians in the town/city where the Temple was located?