• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sikhism: Ask your questions

chinu

chinu
well, i have a qs about the difference between the Adhi Granth & SGGS
Not sure just applying a simple mathimatics ... I think, Adhi Granth means Half Granth
In punjabi the word "Adh" means "Half".

As there are ten gurus... but "Adhi-Granth" contains the bani till fifth guru, means bani of just five gurus from ten gurus, means the bani of... half of the ten gurus.

Moreover the name "Adhi Granth" was given by tenth guru "Gobind Singh... i think ... when "He" compleated the full granth means "Guru Granth Sahib"

_/\_
Chinu

ConfusedKuri

Well I meant if it was something allowed by Sikhism? Because I heard it was rather discouraged to do it...if a woman took Amrit for instance she would not be allowed to remove hair hena?

chinu

chinu
Well I meant if it was something allowed by Sikhism? Because I heard it was rather discouraged to do it...if a woman took Amrit for instance she would not be allowed to remove hair hena?

Confused-Girl... let me clear your confusion --- :( May be if i can... and if really you are ready to hear something.

You said --- if a women took AMRIT for instance.:)
And... I say --- truely the person, who has took true AMRIT, doesn't care for any hairs on body --- that they are growing or not, infact such kind of person has no any far relation with physical body.

Now... How this works ?
Firstly there is need to understand the word "AMRIT"
"Amrit" is the combination of two words A+Mrit,
"Mrit" means Death, A means Away.
If we combine both the word in english language, the sentence become "Away from deaths"

Truely the person who is away from deaths and births --- is known as "AMRIT-DHARI" Sikh or Student.

AMRIT is not ment by this outer amrit which is just made of Suger+Water with some traditional methods --- this all is just a child play.;)

True "Amrit" is falling inside every human, but its hard to get, its like a divine wartefall inside..., its like a divine sound wave inside..., which is falling on the centre of our four head like o^o between our physical eyes.

Not only sikhs... the ways to get connection with this divine sound or amrit is within everybody.

By drinking this real "Amrit" one gets "Salvation" or "Moksha" or "Compleate libration"

Truely this is "Amrit", and truely the one who is internally connected with this real "Amrit-Dhara" is known as true "Amritdhari-Sikh".

I hope this can help you... :D

_/\_
Chinu

GURSIKH

chardi kla
Chinu /Kuri agre with you both ,

there is a Shabad related to Amrit in Guru Granth Sahib that always touch me deeply .

Mėhlā 3.
Third Mehl:

Gẖar hī mėh amriṯ bẖarpūr hai manmukẖā sāḏ na pā▫i▫ā.
The home within is filled with Ambrosial Nectar, but the self-willed manmukh does not get to taste it.

Ji▫o kasṯūrī mirag na jāṇai bẖarmaḏā bẖaram bẖulā▫i▫ā.
He is like the deer, who does not recognize its own musk-scent; it wanders around, deluded by doubt.

Amriṯ ṯaj bikẖ sangrahai karṯai āp kẖu▫ā▫i▫ā.
The manmukh forsakes the Ambrosial Nectar, and instead gathers poison; the Creator Himself has fooled him.

Gurmukẖ virle sojẖī pa▫ī ṯinā anḏar barahm ḏikẖā▫i▫ā.
How rare are the Gurmukhs, who obtain this understanding; they behold the Lord God within themselves.

Ŧan man sīṯal ho▫i▫ā rasnā har sāḏ ā▫i▫ā.
Their minds and bodies are cooled and soothed, and their tongues enjoy the sublime taste of the Lord.

Sabḏe hī nā▫o ūpjai sabḏe mel milā▫i▫ā.
Through the Word of the Shabad, the Name wells up; through the Shabad, we are united in the Lord's Union.

Bin sabḏai sabẖ jag ba▫urānā birthā janam gavā▫i▫ā.
Without the Shabad, the whole world is insane, and it loses its life in vain.

Amriṯ eko sabaḏ hai Nānak gurmukẖ pā▫i▫ā. ||2||
The Shabad alone is Ambrosial Nectar; O Nanak, the Gurmukhs obtain it. ||2||

Marco19

Researcher
Dear Sikh friends, i wonder how do you understand the following text:

The sun and the moon are lamps
The sun and the moon are the two lamps which shine
and made the lamps of the sun and the moon.

So, how the moon is lamp as the sun?

GURSIKH

chardi kla

hi Dear , Marco ,

Sun and moon are equated to lamps because of their Shining ,luminicence property . their source of light is not argued or claimed anywhere .

while traveling ,when GURU NANAK DEV ji reached a famous Hindu temple at JAGGANATH PURI ( ORRISA) ,

GURU watched the ceremony of AARTEE there

in this ceremony , priests lit small lamps ,pearls ,incense sticks ,flowers etc in a plate (thaal ) and whrilled in front of idol of GOD with beating of drums .

there GURU NANAK said the following words ," Priest , Great Aartee of LORD is taking place in very BIG PLATE "

ਰਾਗੁ ਧਨਾਸਰੀ ਮਹਲਾ ੧ ॥
Raag Dhanaasree, First Mehl:

ਗਗਨ ਮੈ ਥਾਲੁ ਰਵਿ ਚੰਦੁ ਦੀਪਕ ਬਨੇ ਤਾਰਿਕਾ ਮੰਡਲ ਜਨਕ ਮੋਤੀ ॥
Upon that cosmic plate of the sky, the sun and the moon are the lamps. The stars and their orbs are the studded pearls.

ਧੂਪੁ ਮਲਆਨਲੋ ਪਵਣੁ ਚਵਰੋ ਕਰੇ ਸਗਲ ਬਨਰਾਇ ਫੂਲੰਤ ਜੋਤੀ ॥੧॥
The fragrance of air is the temple incense, and the wind is the fan. All the plants of the world are the altar flowers in offering to You, O Luminous Lord. ||1||

ਕੈਸੀ ਆਰਤੀ ਹੋਇ ॥
What a beautiful Aartee, lamp-lit worship service this is!

ਭਵ ਖੰਡਨਾ ਤੇਰੀ ਆਰਤੀ ॥
O Destroyer of Fear, this is Your Ceremony of Light.

ਅਨਹਤਾ ਸਬਦ ਵਾਜੰਤ ਭੇਰੀ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥
The Unstruck Sound-current of the Shabad is the vibration of the temple drums. ||1||Pause||

ਸਹਸ ਤਵ ਨੈਨ ਨਨ ਨੈਨ ਹਹਿ ਤੋਹਿ ਕਉ ਸਹਸ ਮੂਰਤਿ ਨਨਾ ਏਕ ਤਹੀ ॥
You have thousands of eyes, and yet You have no eyes. You have thousands of forms, and yet You do not have even one.

ਸਹਸ ਪਦ ਬਿਮਲ ਨਨ ਏਕ ਪਦ ਗੰਧ ਬਿਨੁ ਸਹਸ ਤਵ ਗੰਧ ਇਵ ਚਲਤ ਮੋਹੀ ॥੨॥
You have thousands of Lotus Feet, and yet You do not have even one foot. You have no nose, but you have thousands of noses. This Play of Yours entrances me. ||2||

ਸਭ ਮਹਿ ਜੋਤਿ ਜੋਤਿ ਹੈ ਸੋਇ ॥
Amongst all is the Light-You are that Light.

ਤਿਸ ਦੈ ਚਾਨਣਿ ਸਭ ਮਹਿ ਚਾਨਣੁ ਹੋਇ ॥
By this Illumination, that Light is radiant within all.

ਗੁਰ ਸਾਖੀ ਜੋਤਿ ਪਰਗਟੁ ਹੋਇ ॥
Through the Guru's Teachings, the Light shines forth.

ਜੋ ਤਿਸੁ ਭਾਵੈ ਸੁ ਆਰਤੀ ਹੋਇ ॥੩॥
That which is pleasing to Him is the lamp-lit worship service ,Aartee. ||3||

ਹਰਿ ਚਰਣ ਕਵਲ ਮਕਰੰਦ ਲੋਭਿਤ ਮਨੋ ਅਨਦਿਨ ਮੋਹਿ ਆਹੀ ਪਿਆਸਾ ॥
My mind is enticed by the honey-sweet Lotus Feet of the Lord. Day and night, I thirst for them.

ਕ੍ਰਿਪਾ ਜਲੁ ਦੇਹਿ ਨਾਨਕ ਸਾਰਿੰਗ ਕਉ ਹੋਇ ਜਾ ਤੇ ਤੇਰੈ ਨਾਇ ਵਾਸਾ ॥੪॥੩॥
Bestow the Water of Your Mercy upon Nanak, the thirsty song-bird, so that he may come to dwell in Your Name. ||4||3||

Last edited:

chinu

chinu

:) As everything is fair in "Love" & "War", So guru nanak did this...
I think Chinu is very small to understand this.:(

_/\_
Chinu

Breathe

Hostis humani generis

Both appear as lights, or lamps, in the sky. The sun makes day, and the moon lights up the night sky. This doesn't mean that Gurū Nānak believed that the moon was a lamp or gave off its own source of light. Even if it did, though, it's poetry and not attempting to be a source of science. It's the meaning behind the words that is most important.

The reference to them being lamps is usually as in devotional lamps; i.e., all that exists are your offerings, etc. One needs to know a little bit of how a Hindu pūja works in order to understand the nuances of it.

My $0.02. :)

Gurdip

I heard a very beautiful shabd kirtan and I would like to know what the source of this is. It goes like this:
"saadi preet parteet banai rakhi
Lad apna sadha hee laee rakhi"
Is this from the Sri Granth, if so what page is it on?
I would like to get a copy of the complete poem if possible.
your help is appreciated.
Thanks

muslim-

How accurate is the statement that Sikhism is a mixture of ٍ Sufism, Hinduism, and Christianity?

What is the main and most important messege of Sikhism? What makes a Sikh, a Sikh? You described in an earlier post God being self existant etc, but what are the main beliefs distinguish Sikhs from others?

chinu

chinu
How accurate is the statement that Sikhism is a mixture of ٍ Sufism, Hinduism, and Christianity?
Firstly tell me.. Who was the first sufi, the first hindu and the first christian, and to which perfect ism or religion, do they belong to ?
What is the main and most important messege of Sikhism?
Message is: Throughout the life always think that you are a Student/Sikh not a Teacher/Guru.
What makes a Sikh, a Sikh?
A expression that he/she always want to learn/know something more and more, even if the person is on the top stage of spirituality -- this expression makes sikh/student a sikh/student
You described in an earlier post God being self existant etc,
Chinu is a sikh, but he doesn't belong to any ISM, even sikhism.
Religion is not the name of any community, religion means to be one with god, or to be one with everything,
So where there is "Two" there is "World", and where there is "One" there is "Word" or "Shabad".
but what are the main beliefs distinguish Sikhs from others?
To distinguish himself/herself from others -- is not the work of a perfect Sikh.:)
If we are distinguishing ourself from others it means: We are something special from others, and if we are special -- than there is ego, and where there is ego -- there is not a learner/sikh.

"Allahafis."
_/\_
Chinu

Last edited:

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
It's about as accurate as the statement that some people make that Islam is a mixture of Christianity, Judaism and Arabian paganism -- it's not accurate. Though both religions share some similarities through influence, language, culture and so on, they are not a 'mixture' of these religions.

What is the main and most important messege of Sikhism?
Fight injustice, defend the innocent. Serve God by serving His creation.

What makes a Sikh, a Sikh?
One who learns.

You described in an earlier post God being self existant etc, but what are the main beliefs distinguish Sikhs from others?

One God
No caste
God does not incarnate
Reincarnation until we join with God
Everyone is equal: male or female, Black, White, Indian, Chinese, everyone is equal.
Everyone is welcome
Many ways to the same Goal (i.e., God)
No eternal Hell
Share one's fruits (wealth) with others
Do things for the sake of goodness
Always remember God

A Baptised Sikh keeps the five articles of faith: (kesh) unshorn hair, a small wooden comb (kanga), a steel bracelet (kara), long and modest underwear (kachhera), and a short sword (kirpaan).

WiseMan

What is the main and most important messege of Sikhism? What makes a Sikh, a Sikh? You described in an earlier post God being self existant etc, but what are the main beliefs distinguish Sikhs from others?

A lot of websites to answer your questions....but above answers r also grt