• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sikhism: Ask your questions

GURSIKH

chardi kla
The term "guru" is used in different ways (and slightly different words) in the Sri Guru Granth Sahib, perhaps you have got your head around it, as I find it a bit confusing?

For example, when is guru = God, or equal to the 10 Guru or equal to SGGS? Satguru is God I think. I mean in respect to the SGGS. I remember Gurskhiji's signature saying there is no different, but when we read the SGGS, isn't it refereing to different things? :)

ਗੁਰ ਗੋਵਿੰਦੁ ਗਵਿੰਦੁ ਗੁਰੂ ਹੈ ਨਾਨਕ ਭੇਦੁ ਨ ਭਾਈ ॥
The Guru is God, and God is the Guru, O Nanak; there is no difference between the two, O Siblings of Destiny:

The WORD /SHABAD is GURU .

SIDHH GOSHT by Guru Nanak is Questions by Sidh Yogis , and answers by Guru Nanak

Ŧerā kavaṇ gurū jis kā ṯū cẖelā.
who is your Guru ,whose disciple are you ?

Sabaḏ gurū suraṯ ḏẖun cẖelā.
The Shabad is the Guru, upon whom I lovingly focus my consciousness; I am the chaylaa, the disciple.

Onkara

Interesting article, Gursikhji :)
I like the first picture.... don't mess with a Sikh with combat trousers and an axe! :)

GURSIKH

chardi kla
. I remember Gurskhiji's signature saying there is no different, but when we read the SGGS, isn't it refereing to different things? :)

ਗੁਰ ਗੋਵਿੰਦੁ ਗਵਿੰਦੁ ਗੁਰੂ ਹੈ ਨਾਨਕ ਭੇਦੁ ਨ ਭਾਈ ॥
The Guru is God, and God is the Guru, O Nanak; there is no difference between the two, O Siblings of Destiny:

Hi Onkara ,

one has to "Churn the Ocean" :p before answering your question .

Marco19

Researcher
Hi Onkara ,

one has to "Churn the Ocean" :p before answering your question .

Gursikh my friend how are you ?

the phrase about water make me think about two questions:

Churning the Ocean is a Hindu belief, since you mention it, i wonder if it has any role in the Sikhism/ Sikh cosmology ... etc?

another qs about water/Baptism/Amrita: in some videos i've seen people using the water near the Golden Temple, so is there any doctrine about using that water(like immersion of the whole body, or some parts) except the idea of washing before entering the Temple?

- Amrita: is this term belongs to the Khalsa people only?
- Entering the Temple some use water for washing, is there any name for that?

Thank You
:sikh:

ScottySatan

I think it's really interesting that you call your book a Guru. Do you think that the book is aware, or in possession of a personality?

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
I think it's really interesting that you call your book a Guru. Do you think that the book is aware, or in possession of a personality?
Personally I do not, but it contains the wisdom and teachings of previous Sikh gurūs and bhagats (devotees to God). In that way, it is our teacher, our gurū, and we treat it highly because of respect for its message.

I have never heard of any Sikh considering the The Gurū Granth to be aware, but I have not spoken to many about such a thing.

Onkara

Gursikhji, touches on the explanation here:

The WORD /SHABAD is GURU .

SIDHH GOSHT by Guru Nanak is Questions by Sidh Yogis , and answers by Guru Nanak

Ŧerā kavaṇ gurū jis kā ṯū cẖelā.
who is your Guru ,whose disciple are you ?

Sabaḏ gurū suraṯ ḏẖun cẖelā.
The Shabad is the Guru, upon whom I lovingly focus my consciousness; I am the chaylaa, the disciple.

The reason is that the Sri Guru Granth Sahib contains the word and the word is Guru. The Shabad, the Guru and Truth is eternal; "living". That is to say that it is the words (Shabad) which lead us from the darkness (gu) to the light (ru). The Shabad still has the ability to enlighten us and release those who's destinty it is to be gurmukh, liberated:

Page 12, Line 2
ਜਨ ਨਾਨਕ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਪਰਗਟੁ ਹੋਇ ॥੪॥੨॥
जन नानक गुरमुखि परगटु होइ ॥४॥२॥
Jan Nānak gurmukẖ pargat ho▫e. ||4||2||
O servant Nanak, the Lord is revealed through the Gurmukh, the Living Expression of the Guru's Word. ||4||2||
Guru Ram Das

Page 19, Line 15
ਜਿਨਿ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਨ ਬੂਝਿਆ ਮਰਿ ਜਨਮੈ ਆਵੈ ਜਾਇ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥
जिनि गुरमुखि नामु न बूझिआ मरि जनमै आवै जाइ ॥१॥ रहाउ ॥
Jin gurmukẖ nām na būjẖi▫ā mar janmai āvai jā▫e. ||1|| rahā▫o.
Those who do not become Gurmukh do not understand the Naam; they die, and continue coming and going in reincarnation. ||1||Pause||
Guru Nanak Dev

Last edited:

GURSIKH

chardi kla
Gursikh my friend how are you ?

the phrase about water make me think about two questions:

Churning the Ocean is a Hindu belief, since you mention it, i wonder if it has any role in the Sikhism/ Sikh cosmology ... etc?

another qs about water/Baptism/Amrita: in some videos i've seen people using the water near the Golden Temple, so is there any doctrine about using that water(like immersion of the whole body, or some parts) except the idea of washing before entering the Temple?

- Amrita: is this term belongs to the Khalsa people only?
- Entering the Temple some use water for washing, is there any name for that?

Thank You
:sikh:

hi Marco , my friend ,m in Chardi Kala ,wishing good for you ;)!

yes "Churning the Ocean " can be associated to Hindu Mythology of " Samundr manthan " acc to which Devtas/Gods and Devils togather churned the Ocean by extra ordinary effort and Obtained Pearls and Amrit .

As per Gurbani ,the Ocean is within our body

ਸਰੀਰਿ ਸਰੋਵਰਿ ਗੁਣ ਪਰਗਟਿ ਕੀਏ ॥
Sarīr sarovar guṇ pargat kī▫e.
The ocean of the body yields pearls of virtue.

ਨਾਨਕ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਮਥਿ ਤਤੁ ਕਢੀਏ ॥੪॥੫॥੫੭॥
Nānak gurmukẖ math ṯaṯ kadẖī▫e. ||4||5||57||
O Nanak, the Gurmukh churns this ocean, and discovers this essence. ||4||5||57||

GURSIKH

chardi kla

hi Scott

its simple

Guru means teacher who teaches students/ sikhs . Guru Granth Sahib teaches very well .

as Onkara ji also said Teaching/Word/Shabad of Guru is more important than Physical body .

ਡਿਠੈ ਮੁਕਤਿ ਨ ਹੋਵਈ ਜਿਚਰੁ ਸਬਦਿ ਨ ਕਰੇ ਵੀਚਾਰੁ ॥
Diṯẖai mukaṯ na hova▫ī jicẖar sabaḏ na kare vīcẖār.
One is not liberated by merely seeing Him(Guru), unless one contemplates the Word of His Shabad.

chinu

chinu
hi Scott

its simple

Guru means teacher who teaches students/ sikhs . Guru Granth Sahib teaches very well .

as Onkara ji also said Teaching/Word/Shabad of Guru is more important than Physical body .

ਡਿਠੈ ਮੁਕਤਿ ਨ ਹੋਵਈ ਜਿਚਰੁ ਸਬਦਿ ਨ ਕਰੇ ਵੀਚਾਰੁ ॥
Diṯẖai mukaṯ na hova▫ī jicẖar sabaḏ na kare vīcẖār.
One is not liberated by merely seeing Him(Guru), unless one contemplates the Word of His Shabad.
:) Gursikh ji "Satshriakal"

As my name is CHINU --- so i have great intrest in learning CHINESE :D
Anyhow... my CHINESE teacher have great intreast in understanding "Respected Guru Granth Sahib JI", Means very respectfully he is ready to accept "GGS" as a teacher.

But as being a CHINESE there's a great problem in understanding "GGS" to him --- And I said to him --- "GGS" is the divine teacher only for Sikhs.

Further...He asked me the question ? Is "GGS" God ??? I said :yes:
Further he replied --- than why are you saying "Only for Sikhs" if really "GGS" is God or a divine teacher--- than why only for sikhs --- why not for all ?

Gursikh ji can you help CHINU here.

Thanks in advance.:)

_/\_
Chinu.

fenrisx

I'm currently reading a book on Sikhism, and it explains the bringing about of the 5 K's, but it doesnt address the sect that doesnt practice this, how did that development come about, and my apologies if it inappropriate to ask

SageTree

Spiritual Friend
Premium Member
-Are there any Dietary Laws/Restrictions or are 'other' Paths restrictions addressed as not necessary etc etc ?

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
-Are there any Dietary Laws/Restrictions or are 'other' Paths restrictions addressed as not necessary etc etc ?
No kuṭhā¹ meat. This is usually in reference to meat slaughtered under Islamic dhabihah ("halal") methods, and would also include Jewish shechita (kosher) methods. No meat slaughtered under this method is permitted to be eaten, especially for an Amritdharī (Baptised) Sikh. To do so is to become an apostate from the Gurū's path. To get back in is possible, but it is not immediate and involves doing selfless service before one can do so again. Kuṭhā is usually included to mean any meat sacrificed to God, or prepared in a ritualized manner.

I believe the reason for this is because it is seen as superstitious, insulting, and unnecessarily cruel - and if one is going to eat meat, then the animal should be put out of suffering as soon as possible.

Vegetarianism is preferable.

No restrictions on onions and garlic, unlike Vaiṣṇava Hindus, for example.

¹ Kuṭhā is etmylogically linked to the word kohṇā, meaning "to slay". This word, however, is not present within Śrī Gurū Granth Sāhib Ji - but kuṭhā is, used only with the terms of 'kill'. Traditionally, though, it is taken as meaning ritually slaughtered meat.

The Nihangs, an Order of Sikhs, serve what they term as mahāprasād (lit. "great generosity/blessing"), which is meat.

Also, the meat Sikhs eat is jhatkā or chatkā (Gurmukhī ਝਟਕਾ chatkā, Hindi झटका jhatkā), which means something along the lines of "killing". Jhatkā is performed by beheading.

j1.jpg

Hope this helps. :)

SageTree

Spiritual Friend
Premium Member
Yea man... that is good.

So no meat is 'forbidden or discouraged' , outside of the no kosher/hallal IE> Cow, pig, goat etc etc?

I was going to ask if being veg. was still preferable even if meat was ok and not eating it was not discouraged.

I don't eat any meat what so ever, but do eat eggs/dairy a few times a week, as you know I'm sure....
I can't imagine I'll ever go back after nearly 10 years of doing it now, it's just to natural at this point.

Also good addition on the onion/garlic tid bit, it's of interest to me.

**tangent alert**
Does that extend to all root veg. ,like Jainism, in the Hindu tradition you mentioned or is that JUST onion and garlic?
So while we're on it, tangent... what's behind the no onion-garlic biz?
I'm familiar with it to a degree, but would like to know if you know anything more about it as I haven't really went far and wide to read about it.

**off tangent**

It's not for me to question the 'rightness' about the meat sacrifice/eating thing, but I'm interested, do you suppose that comes from staying distinctive as a culture or is there a piece of scripture that talks about 'not sacrificing animals' explicitly?