• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Share random interesting facts.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Taking inventory at a Bath and Body Works is not good when you have bad allergies and forget to take an allergy pill.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
A single mutation in the FOXP2 gene results in people who cannot create grammatically correct sentences.

Cynic

Anthropological studies of the Mentawai off the coast of Indonesian Sumatra suggest that teeth filing may enhance a couple’s love lives. Having serrated teeth appears to be conducive to rough, feisty love-making. As Dr. Strangelove says, “It gives new meaning to the phrase, ‘Don't worry, I won’t bite.’”

taboo_beauty_teeth_461.jpg

methylatedghosts

Can't brain. Has dumb.
The saying "tugging on my heart strings" actually refers to the Chordae Tendinae in the heart, which are strings that prevent heart valves inverting and sending blood in the wrong direction!

23_013.jpg

Azakel

Liebe ist für alle da
Cats wag their tails when it is in a stage of conflict. The cat wants to do two things at once, but each impulse blocks the other. For example: If your cat is in the doorway wanting to go outside, and you open the door to find it raining, the cat's tail will wag because of internal conflict. The cat wants to go outside, but doesn't want to go into the rain. Once the cat makes a decision and either returns to the house or leaves into the rain, the tail will immediately stop wagging.

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
Alaska is the northern most, the western most, and the eastern most state of the United States. And it would have been the southern most state as well if its original plan to achieve statehood combined with Hawaii had gone through.

PureX

Veteran Member
Alaska is the northern most, the western most, and the eastern most state of the United States. And it would have been the southern most state as well if its original plan to achieve statehood combined with Hawaii had gone through.
How is it eastern most?

PureX

Veteran Member
Anthropological studies of the Mentawai off the coast of Indonesian Sumatra suggest that teeth filing may enhance a couple’s love lives. Having serrated teeth appears to be conducive to rough, feisty love-making. As Dr. Strangelove says, “It gives new meaning to the phrase, ‘Don't worry, I won’t bite.’”

taboo_beauty_teeth_461.jpg
But why is "rough, feisty love-making" considered an enhancement?

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Can it be a random, boring fact? When sunlight reflects off the cars in the parking lot it creates a mosaic effect on the south wall of my apartment suite.

Cynic

Despite what you have been told in high school, we have more than five senses. Proprioception and kinesthesis is a "hidden" sense that we take for granted. It is the sense of body position and movement, which emerges from the somatosensory cortex of the parietal lobes. Vision and the vestibular system contribute to a sense of body as well.

In Oliver Sach's book "The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat," (1985) he describes one of his patients who suffered from an infection in her spinal fluid. The result was a loss of proprioception, which created a dreadful sense of disembodiment.

Now consider vision and the representation of the visual field in the brain. Your entire field of vision is mapped out in the lateral geniculate nucleus of the thalamus and the visual cortex. We have a "theater" in the mind. The neurons in these cortical and subcortical regions fire to represent everything we see.

Analogically, the somatosensory cortex maps out the entire body, creating a body-image. These neurons fire to represent every part of your body, and is responsible for not only skin sensation, but proprioception and kinesthesis as well. So, if the rest of your body is somehow disconnected from these neurons (via spinal cord), it would be in a sense similar to ablating the optic nerve that travels to the visual cortex --resulting in blindness. However in this case, there is no active neural representation of the body. This is hard to imagine, as in the case of the "disembodied woman." It is better explained in her own words: "This 'proprioception' is like the eyes of the body, the way the body sees itself. And if it goes, as it's gone with me, it's like the body's blind."

I should note the phenomenon of Phantom Limb Syndrome. Phantom limb occurs in many amputees. Although the physical limb is no longer there, the sense of proprioception and kinesthesis remain intact. Even people who are born without arms can sense the pointing of a phantom finger.

Finally, another point of interest: transsexualism. It appears that while gender is determined by DNA, specifically the Y chromosome in male sperm, the sex of the brain appears to be determined by hormones that the embryo is exposed to in the womb. A man can have a female brain, and a women can have a male brain. A man with a female brain will feel disconnected to his penis, as if it should not be there. One can assume that male genitalia is not represented in his somatosensory cortex. Also, a women with a male brain will have a phantom penis along with phantom erections. Suddenly the words, "a man in a women's body" or "a woman in a man's body" is not so far-fetched.

Stellify

StarChild
Last I heard, these laws were still in effect:
Whales are illegal in Nebraska.
In Texas you can technically still face an execution by hanging....
....for stealing another man's horse :D
Gotta love Texas....:eek: