• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sex outside of marriage

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
Isn't this pretty much a settled topic by now? I mean, only a handful of couples -- about 10% -- do not have sex before marriage these days. Forty years ago, this was an issue. Today? Not so much.

You are saying that 90% of the 4 billion (Christians+Muslims) have sex before marriage these days? Seems Christians/Muslims approve of fornication

Interesting number. I do remember a few RF threads that Christians were against fornication. Now I understand they meant "I can do, others can't".

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Many Muslim countries permit alcohol, fornication is illegal in most countries.

As far as i am aware only 9 countries legislate against fornication.

Update, just checked, make that 8, India repealed their fornication laws in September.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
IPA is still very popular in south east UK.

And in me:

beer_173579

Technically I guess you could call that a "Budweiser".

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
not that particular variation. The monster breweries have bought out many of the micro breweries. Elysian is now owned by Anhuser Busch.

Not being a beer drinker I will bow your expertise.

You must be the fount of all knowledge beer.

Having said that, tonight i had a glass of Ficher. A light french beer flavoured with tequila.

Bottle_of_Fischer_beer.jpg

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I had a Muslim tell me that if everyone obeyed Sharia law, there would be no STD epidemic, no drug or alcohol-related deaths, no drunk drivers or thieves Etc.

As much as i despise Sharia, I can't help but see some truth to that.
Sharia law wouldn't prevent STIs because not all of them are necessarily spread through sexual contact. Such a statement reveals nothing but an ignorance for how STIs work.

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
I had a Muslim tell me that if everyone obeyed Sharia law, there would be no STD epidemic, no drug or alcohol-related deaths, no drunk drivers or thieves Etc.

As much as i despise Sharia, I can't help but see some truth to that.
If everyone obeyed Jehovah God by genuinely adhering to the Greek Scriptures, there would be none of this, either. No willful activities, anyways.

Dan From Smithville

What we've got here is failure to communicate.
Staff member
Premium Member
Ok.

I just question how many STDs and unwanted pregnancies there would be.

I'm trying to see the pros and cons. It was scary when I was diagnosed with a sexually transmitted disease.

I can only imagine the pain and fear people go through when they are diagnosed with something that's not even curable, or the potential agony , desperation, and fear a person feels when they have an unwanted pregnancy.

Perhaps I watch too much EWTN where women are in tears, traumatized, and haunted many years after the event.
It may be that sexually transmitted diseases might drop off, but marriage doesn't necessarily eliminate unwanted pregnancy, but rather how those pregnancies are received or accepted. At least, that is my take.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
I wonder how many STDs and unwanted pregnancies we would have if sex was kept inside of marriage?

It is a fact that STD's would not exist if sex was kept to just one marriage mate. Pregnancy is the obvious result of sexual intercourse, which, if it occurs in marriage can be a blessing or a problem depending upon the personal circumstances of the couple. But at least there is a mother and father to welcome a new member of a family. Being born and welcomed into a family is a child's right IMO.

That said, for the sake of being Devil's Advocate, sometimes sex before marriage could help people better discern whether or not they want to spend the rest of their lives together.

Basing one's relationship on how good the sex is, is a huge mistake. The most important aspects of marriage are love and respect and mutual interests and compatibility....sex really doesn't matter if you have those more important aspects to a relationship. Sex never made a marriage last....but those other factors feed and nourish a lasting relationship.

What are your thoughts on the topic?

Where I live, in the office, condoms are available to everybody free.
If condoms were handed out freely to everybody, do you think most people would use them?

Immorality is as old as sin itself. The first humans realized this as soon as they ate the fruit. Their nakedness conjured up all manner of immoral thoughts....something that felt wrong to them. They even covered their reproductive parts in response.....and our natural feeling of shame over our nakedness is still hard to overcome for many. It was used to humiliate people held captive and probably still is.

Sex is a powerful drive in all creatures because the survival of their species depends on it. Humans were the only ones who had laws governing their sexual activity. Only humans could break a law by having sex. The unwanted consequences are often seen as annoying, rather than the natural consequence of doing what God forbids. We reap what we sow after all.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
You are saying that 90% of the 4 billion (Christians+Muslims) have sex before marriage these days? Seems Christians/Muslims approve of fornication

Interesting number. I do remember a few RF threads that Christians were against fornication. Now I understand they meant "I can do, others can't".

The studies I've seen are all American couples. I don't know about worldwide figures.