• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Satanists denied opening prayer for the third time in Boston.

Wrangler

Ask And You Will Receive
Actualy every single western democracy is founded on the principle of seperation of powers and individual rights.

Actually, you are confusing a nations current form of government with it's founding principles. Democracy is antithetical to individual rights. More than that, you do not even address American exceptionalism. It is not separation of unlimited powers but the notion of limited government that separates America from the rest of the world.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I take it all back. You're right. THEY are truly horrible beyond words.
The ones like Pence, yes. Not beyond words, but he's a great example of Christians enforcing their own morality and religious beliefs upon others, and to discriminatory and damaging ends.
The Christians who derided Pence as weak for backing out of his RFRA (the state would have taken a massive economic blow over it), yes, they are actually at minimum morally questionable and impaired demanding special rights and privileges to discriminate against those their religion tells them to hate.
And they were much worse in the past.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
More than that, you do not even address American exceptionalism.
Since when has this been mandatory?
And exceptional? I had to move to another state because America is not up to par with the rest of the West. My most immediate ancestors, predominantly those who came from Ireland, didn't have it easy here. Neither have black people and women. America about on par with much if the world in regards to treatment towards the natives and aboriginals. But thats nothing to be proud of. And we've fallen behind the rest of the world in many areas, increasingly bogged down and burdened by something that worked great then and did make America exceptional for that time, but it's not 1776 or the 18th century anymore.
But we are denied the most brilliant and exceptional part by those desperately clinging to tradition, and that is the ability to update,, change, and address so the Constitution can be refreshed for new ages that come and ago, freeing us from being governed by the dead. But many are adamant we be governed by the dead.

epronovost

Democracy is antithetical to individual rights.

You cannot have a democracy without individual rights nor individual rights outside of it. One of the fundamental individual right is the right to political representation which can only express itself in a democracy.

More than that, you do not even address American exceptionalism. It is not separation of unlimited powers but the notion of limited government that separates America from the rest of the world.

The idea of limited government is of a government with limited power achieved through separation of powers between different branches of the government and civil society. The US government never was more limited, as in had fewer roles and oversight, than any other government of the time. At best it could be said that the federal ggovernment of the US is weaker than the federal government of other States, but it's not exceptionnaly weaker than others. Your understanding of the term "limited government" is faulty as is your reading of US history.

American exceptionalism, as the idea that the US stands appart and is a shinning beacon for the rest of the world isn't even a concept carried by the early US society, but born out of the mid 19th century as the US imperial ambitions started to grow after its conquest of the western part of N-A which it seized from Mexico and Natives and culminated in the early 20th century with the construction of the Panama Channel, the war against Spain for Cuba and the war in the Philippine. It also draw its exception that, at the time, only it and to a lesser degree England were democracies in Europe as France was often embroiled in revolutions and the other States monarchy and Canada was still a colony under british authority. By the turn of WW2 though, that exceptionalism changed nature as the US were now affirming its exceptionalism by placing itself as "the arsenal of democracy" in its fight against communism.

Last edited:

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
America is supposed to be a shining beacon to the rest of the world?

Oh I hate to be the bearer of bad news guys.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Satanic Temple Sues Boston Over Opening Prayer Policy

I'd rather see no prayer in government institutions, but am not against traditional practices.

I do side with the Satanists that it is religious discrimination solely on the basis they are not aligned with Abrahamic doctrines.

Otherwise I think the policy should end.

Should they be allowed opening prayer?

I think so.
its a gray area but no. Not in my opinion. They just seem like they want to turn this prayer spot into a farce as part of a protest against religion in government. Separation of church and state is the issue. They don't like that there is prayer instituted over the meeting. That's what its about. They want to protest, sue to stop the prayers I'd support it. Satanists praying just to make fun of prayer? Not. Don't care. May as well have a comedian come in and do a fake prayer in protest to the religious prayers Same thing to me.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
The ones like Pence, yes. Not beyond words, but he's a great example of Christians enforcing their own morality and religious beliefs upon others, and to discriminatory and damaging ends.
Yes, he is. At issue is whether or not he's a great example of Christians, particularly those seeking to implement the guidelines of the Council. Perhaps he is, but I've seen no evidence that this is true. I'm open to being persuaded.

kiwimac

Brother Napalm of God's Love
Satanic Temple Sues Boston Over Opening Prayer Policy

I'd rather see no prayer in government institutions, but am not against traditional practices.

I do side with the Satanists that it is religious discrimination solely on the basis they are not aligned with Abrahamic doctrines.

Otherwise I think the policy should end.

Should they be allowed opening prayer?

I think so.

In a secular democracy, either all or none.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Yes, he is. At issue is whether or not he's a great example of Christians, particularly those seeking to implement the guidelines of the Council. Perhaps he is, but I've seen no evidence that this is true. I'm open to being persuaded.
Here's a group who had to be ordered out of the room because they were that explicitly opposed to Constitutional rights being extended to others.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
Actually, you are confusing a nations current form of government with it's founding principles. Democracy is antithetical to individual rights. More than that, you do not even address American exceptionalism. It is not separation of unlimited powers but the notion of limited government that separates America from the rest of the world.
That is why we are a secular democratic republic. A country with a guarantee of personal rights, even if you do disagree with some of them. America was not based upon Christianity.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
If they really wanted to be something positive in the world then their message wouldn't play off of negative imagery from Christian perspective. They're anti-Christian political entity backed by donations from people who have whatever reason to hate Christianity. All that nonsense about benevolence is spin.

They're a hate group. They chose to embrace that image and so can't complain for being in that category.
I am sorry but you just don't get it. If anything the "hate group" would be the Christians. They are trying to hold illegal prayers. That they know prayers are not part pf the process is shown by the trying to ban others from leading prayers. The negative imagery is coming from the Christians.

74x12

I am sorry but you just don't get it. If anything the "hate group" would be the Christians. They are trying to hold illegal prayers. That they know prayers are not part pf the process is shown by the trying to ban others from leading prayers. The negative imagery is coming from the Christians.
They claim they don't even believe in Satan. So their prayer is a farce. If they can't take it serious they shouldn't be involved. And even if they do believe in satan; then that's even more disturbing ... so I guess we can be thankful for that at least.

Legitimate religions wanting to pray is one thing but it's just that people are disturbed by satanists and their farcical prayer services to the devil. There is no reason for anyone to stand for it.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
They claim they don't even believe in Satan. So their prayer is a farce. If they can't take it serious they shouldn't be involved. And even if they do believe in satan; then that's even more disturbing ... so I guess we can be thankful for that at least.

Legitimate religions wanting to pray is one thing but it's just that people are disturbed by satanists and their farcical prayer services to the devil. There is no reason for anyone to stand for it.
Why does not make their prayer a farce. You really have no clue what Satanism is. You have a wrong impression of it. They do not have prayer services to the devil.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
They claim they don't even believe in Satan.
A lot of us don't. We're often atheist or agnostic. Sometimes theist, but not often. And the Satanic Temple does lean towards atheism and agnosticism.
So their prayer is a farce.
Ya know, I'm pretty sure most of this post violates RF rules. I didn't report, because I want this to be emphasized and focused. All this coming a "love your neighbor as thyself" Christian.
If they can't take it serious they shouldn't be involved.
Who says they aren't taking it seriously? What makes you say this?
And even if they do believe in satan; then that's even more disturbing
Why?
Legitimate religions wanting to pray is one thing but it's just that people are disturbed by satanists and their farcical prayer services to the devil.
Legitimate religions?
Farcical Prayer?
Disturbed?

There is no reason for anyone to stand for it.
You stand confident in your response, but all you've done is show a flash of brilliance in ignorance. Throwing out wild accusations, and nothing of substance to support these claims.
You've not even quoted any Satanic or LHP literature.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
A lot of us don't. We're often atheist or agnostic. Sometimes theist, but not often. And the Satanic Temple does lean towards atheism and agnosticism.

Ya know, I'm pretty sure most of this post violates RF rules. I didn't report, because I want this to be emphasized and focused. All this coming a "love your neighbor as thyself" Christian.

Who says they aren't taking it seriously? What makes you say this?

Why?

Legitimate religions?
Farcical Prayer?
Disturbed?

You stand confident in your response, but all you've done is show a flash of brilliance in ignorance. Throwing out wild accusations, and nothing of substance to support these claims.
You've not even quoted any Satanic or LHP literature.
The lady doth protest too much. Perhaps he sees how week the prayers that Christians try to foist off on others is. This sort of display only underscores that fact. The Satanists are ruining their cherished fantasy.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Perhaps he sees how week the prayers that Christians try to foist off on others is.
I doubt it.
One can find numerous publications with studies suggesting prayer--even specifically to the Christian god--does work. There are, of course, many issues with these studies, but it is irrelevant to them. They truly believe that prayer does work. And if it doesn't then that is simply god's will and that's that.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
The Satanists are ruining their cherished fantasy.
Fundamentalists and Evangelicals are often frightened of Satanists (and atheists). In one Pensacola video, we can hear a man protesting the Satanist, claiming the Satanist will throw out curses. They literally believe he will summon demons, and bring forth a demonic presence with his invocation.
And we can certainly see this fear reaction happening here.