• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Satan in Christianity

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Are you sure he's not evil? I mean he did tempt Eve to commit evil and lied to her. He also destroyed Job and tried to destroy Job's love of God.
Eve was not tempted by satan; that was a serpent.

He only did that to Job with G-d's prmission and it was G-d himself who pointed satan towards Job; satan didn't just do that to Job out of nowhere.

Reggie Miller

Eve was not tempted by satan; that was a serpent.

He only did that to Job with G-d's prmission and it was G-d himself who pointed satan towards Job; satan didn't just do that to Job out of nowhere.

You really believe that? Why then does scripture refer to Satan as the serpent? Also, when God asked Satan from whence he had come, he said that he was going to and fro on the Earth. Other verses say Satan is the tempter, the destroyer. Surely you know this.

Satan means slanderer in Hebrew.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
You really believe that? Why then does scripture refer to Satan as the serpent? Also, when God asked Satan from whence he had come, he said that he was going to and fro on the Earth. Other verses say Satan is the tempter, the destroyer. Surely you know this.

Satan means slanderer in Hebrew.
Which verse says that the serpent was satan?

Yes, satan is the adversary; he acts like G-d's attorney.

Reggie Miller

Well you are, franky, wrong.

I totally disagree with you. You're wrong.

The fact that you don't believe that Jesus fulfilled OT prophecy concerning the Messiah is all I need to know to know that you fail to understand and accept the OT scriptures.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
I totally disagree with you. You're wrong.

The fact that you don't believe that Jesus fulfilled OT prophecy concerning the Messiah is all I need to know to know that you fail to understand and accept the OT scriptures.
This Messianic Age of Peace is really something eh? Nothing to kick start the Messianic Era like the Temple being destroyed...the exact opposite of what was, you know, supposed to happen.

Last edited:

Buddha Dharma

Dharma Practitioner
Why is the Christian Satan so different from the Jewish view? When and how did he become evil, the ruler of this fallen world etc? In my opinion, this view is at odds with what the Hebrew Bible claims.

As Thomas Paine pointed out in the Age of Reason: it also makes 'God' look like he got tricked or maneuvered into something by Satan. That Satan somehow compelled 'God' to hand over authority to rule creation- in spite of his being a rebel.

Buddha Dharma

Dharma Practitioner
@Rival If Lucifer and the demons were to possess people why would god allow it? He will just be letting them have power. Think about it.

Odd thing. According to 1 Samuel: God can send evil spirits on a person. No need to attribute that to Satan's agency either.

1 Samuel says 'God' caused an evil spirit to descend on Saul.