• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Russia has a vaccine

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
And what a great job these "health experts" have done so far with finding cures and vaccines for COVID...NOT.
And just how quickly might one expect a vaccine or cure to be found? And how would you compare your credibility in making such a determination as compared to, let us say, that of a pet rock?

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't expect magic. But sometimes amateurs make breakthroughs. Blind trust of the "experts" who have failed at nearly everything to do with this virus while discouraging curiosity and independent thought will lead nowhere.
Where have they "failed" exactly?

Or have they failed in the same sense that, say, aerospace engineers have "failed" to start a colony on Pluto.

From the begining experts have been warning us that a vaccine wouldn't be available any time soon.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Very true, I've noticed there are even people attempting to claim it is the Biblical " mark of the beast " ( Laughable for a number of reasons )

:p
A friend & his new gal pal say that Satan is behind it, punishing
mankind for creeping marxism & Islam. The only cure is for enuf
Christians to pray for God's forgiveness. Then he'll stop Satan.
Btw, neither is an epidemiologist.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
Wait...
I thought it was cause by astral sex with demons?
Isn't that the official Trump position?

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
One of my neighbors claims that Trump released Covid in order to distract the world from his impeachment.

Of course, he also says that medicine has it all wrong because our brains are really in our backsides which is why aliens perform anal probes when they kidnap people.

Onoma

...seems legit...

hoff.PNG

exchemist

Veteran Member
And what a great job these "health experts" have done so far with finding cures and vaccines for COVID...NOT.
Eh? The speed with which vaccines are being developed, for a disease which has only existed for about 9 months, is unparalleled in medical history. And a huge amount of progress has already been made in the management of this disease.

exchemist

Veteran Member
I don't expect magic. But sometimes amateurs make breakthroughs. Blind trust of the "experts" who have failed at nearly everything to do with this virus while discouraging curiosity and independent thought will lead nowhere.

Failed at nearly everything? They seem to me to have been pretty good at predicting its effects and at making recommendations that when followed have been remarkably successful. (Denmark, Germany, New Zealand, even Australia.) Blaming the experts in the USA for the catastrophic mismanagement by the Trump Administration seems to be a rather bizarre thing to do.

The experts working on vaccines are doing so in many countries of the world. It is not just a handful of high profile individuals in the USA who are getting death threats for their efforts. ALL of them are united in following correct procedures to make sure the vaccines really work and are really safe before they are released. This is for the obvious reason that an ineffective or unsafe vaccine would damage the trust of the public and set back the efforts to control the virus, probably by years.

Except the Russians. Well, we'll see how that turns out.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Failed at nearly everything? They seem to me to have been pretty good at predicting its effects and at making recommendations that when followed have been remarkably successful. (Denmark, Germany, New Zealand, even Australia.) Blaming the experts in the USA for the catastrophic mismanagement by the Trump Administration seems to be a rather bizarre thing to do.

The experts working on vaccines are doing so in many countries of the world. It is not just a handful of high profile individuals in the USA who are getting death threats for their efforts. ALL of them are united in following correct procedures to make sure the vaccines really work and are really safe before they are released. This is for the obvious reason that an ineffective or unsafe vaccine would damage the trust of the public and set back the efforts to control the virus, probably by years.

Don't know why you generally omit Canada, but we're doing so much better as well.

There's an old joke: "How do you get 50 Canadians out of the swiming pool?" Answer: say, "please get out of the pool." (It's funny only because it is generally true.) Canada, unlike the US, wasn't born in revolution, so we don't retain (as Americans seem to) a revolutionary attitude. When we understand the reason for something, we do not see it as a great infringement on our "rights" to be asked to do something that will benefit everybody, and so we just get on with it and do it.

As a consquence, as of this moment, Canada is pretty much open for business again, but people are mostly behaving responsibly (wearing masks, distancing, hand-washing), and we are dying at a rate of about one fifteenth (per capita) of the US.

But you are correct -- in general, the medical profession is getting it right. For sure we didn't understand this virus at well in the early days, and there's still much to be learned, but one thing that now appears to be pretty much certain: Social distancing, mask-wearing indoors and when distancing isn't possible, and strong hand-hygiene, will do just about as much good as a total shut down. And that's something that should be considered, because that means that you can mostly keep your economy going by doing some pretty simple stuff. AND, it will also make for a less severe flu season, as an added bonus!

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
They haven't failed. They're succeeding with more and more knowledge and more and more discoveries about how to treat the virus.

No one is discouraging curiosity except for Trump & Co. I'm spending a fair amount of time keeping up with the science and it's fascinating. The latest discoveries being about related corona virus infection causing partial T-cell immunity which appears to help reduce the severity of COVID-19.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I would say rather than God is behind it as part of the End Times destruction of old patterns of life so the new can be born. So his satan is my God.

Theology will do that to you sometimes :eek::rolleyes::confused:;)

Heyo

Veteran Member
Desperate times require desperate measures.
During a raging pandemic it may be the smart move to get a vaccine out fast, even when the protocol says otherwise.

exchemist

Veteran Member
Don't know why you generally omit Canada, but we're doing so much better as well.

There's an old joke: "How do you get 50 Canadians out of the swiming pool?" Answer: say, "please get out of the pool." (It's funny only because it is generally true.) Canada, unlike the US, wasn't born in revolution, so we don't retain (as Americans seem to) a revolutionary attitude. When we understand the reason for something, we do not see it as a great infringement on our "rights" to be asked to do something that will benefit everybody, and so we just get on with it and do it.

As a consquence, as of this moment, Canada is pretty much open for business again, but people are mostly behaving responsibly (wearing masks, distancing, hand-washing), and we are dying at a rate of about one fifteenth (per capita) of the US.

But you are correct -- in general, the medical profession is getting it right. For sure we didn't understand this virus at well in the early days, and there's still much to be learned, but one thing that now appears to be pretty much certain: Social distancing, mask-wearing indoors and when distancing isn't possible, and strong hand-hygiene, will do just about as much good as a total shut down. And that's something that should be considered, because that means that you can mostly keep your economy going by doing some pretty simple stuff. AND, it will also make for a less severe flu season, as an added bonus!
I'm more than happy to add Canada to the list, too. ;)

exchemist

Veteran Member
Desperate times require desperate measures.
During a raging pandemic it may be the smart move to get a vaccine out fast, even when the protocol says otherwise.
My concern is this has a strong smell of Putin playing politics with it. It is Putin, not the doctors, who says it can be used now. He has even named it "Sputnik", as a (clunkingly obvious:rolleyes: )reference to Russia's early lead in the space race.

Putin seems to have mishandled the epidemic at home, so, rather like Trump, he is now seizing on unproven miracle cures, in the hope they work and enable him to regain the initiative. He may be lucky but it is a huge gamble and potentially risky for his people.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
So what do you think, health experts say it came out too early.
I think it is fantastic, not because Russia become the first nation with a vaccine. But that now there is a vaccine people can get. It is a step in right direction for a cure.

It does not matter what country who was first. What matter is human life's.

exchemist

Veteran Member
I think it is fantastic, not because Russia become the first nation with a vaccine. But that now there is a vaccine people can get. It is a step in right direction for a cure.

It does not matter what country who was first. What matter is human life's.
Several other groups could release their candidate vaccines tomorrow on the same basis.

Ask yourself why they won't be doing that.