• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Robin Williams Dead from Apparent Suicide

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I think the most tragic thing is that while he was making so many of us happy, he apparently wasn't happy himself. My heart goes out to his family.

DreadFish

Cosmic Vagabond
I think the most tragic thing is that while he was making so many of us happy, he apparently wasn't happy himself. My heart goes out to his family.

Yeah, it's ironic that a lot of very funny people are actually quite unhappy or struggle with mental illness or substance problems.

Maldini

It's so sad because he brought laughter to so may people, at least he did to me numerous times, but he himself was suffering from depression. Yet another proof that the world is not fair.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
If there is a Judgement before god, Robin Williams turn in line will be an absolute show-stopper.

Bet he does his golf sketch....

Last edited:

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
Things like this truly show the mindset of the world. With all of the terrible things happening in the world, this (possibly the least terrible in the scheme of things) the one thing the world pays attention to.

Over a thousand dead palestinians? Nothing.
Displaced iraqi's hunted and oppressed? Nope. Nothing.
Robin Williams' death? Now people take notice.

I think we live in a society of mean spirited, salacious, idol worshipping hypocrites. The pressure that people exert continually drives talented folk to their early graves. Why do people bother crying over the deaths of people like Michael Jackson, Heath Ledger, Robin Williams and so many others when it was society's prying interest in their personal lives that compounded their existing problems? Shouldn't they be happy that they finally reached the final conclusion that they steered them towards?

gotta agree with you there.

People are emotionally attached to the characters played by celebrities...but they have very little fellow feeling toward real people.

We live in a world were there is no natural affection for our neigbour.

And its because of this that we have situations like Isreal/Gaza and Iraq/IS and Urkrain for example.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member

People are emotionally attached to the characters played by celebrities...but they have very little fellow feeling toward real people.

And its because of this that we have situations like Israel/Gaza and Iraq/IS and Ukraine for example.

I personally have a lot of compassion for all those people being killed, I pray for them daily, wishing I could do more. I cry for them and mourn for them.

I don't see how my mourning someone famous can take away from that. It doesn't and it won't.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
I personally have a lot of compassion for all those people being killed, I pray for them daily, wishing I could do more. I cry for them and mourn for them.

I don't see how my mourning someone famous can take away from that. It doesn't and it won't.

most people are indifferent or apathetic though.

And we can even see that in the media response to the death of RW.

CynthiaCypher

And its because of this that we have situations like Isreal/Gaza and Iraq/IS and Urkrain for example.

It's idol worship.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
It's idol worship.

people certainly do devote themselves to many things...whether its sport, or celebrities or musicians... its in our nature to worship.

The irony is that if they were directing their devotion to the right place, they would actually love their neighbour and we wouldn't have all the problems we have.

Alt Thinker

Older than the hills
That's too bad. Saw him do stand-up live once, he was so funny and it felt like he made up the entire set right there. A lot of talent.

I saw him on live TV where he asked the audience to give him a topic for improv. After several shouts it ended up as Three Mile Island (the nuclear power plant leak) in Shakespearean style. After joking around about other things for maybe 15-20 seconds, he launched into a totally hilarious performance doing exactly what had been asked.

You are right that even his rehearsed material sounded spontaneous. A good example was his Live at the Met (Metropolitan Opera House in NYC). I recall part of his intro, "This is the people's opera house, a place where Sly Stallone could do Hamlet. [Rocky voice] To be....Or what?" That is when I knew he was on and it was going to be a good show.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber

There is indeed much celebrity worship in America. We also do largely ignore the hardships, misfortunes, and tragedies of "regular people." But, on the flip side, with Robin Williams, he gave the world, children and adults alike, countless hours of laughs and entertainment. Rather it was his shenanigans with Flubber, adventures in Jumanji, or his raunchy stand up, he gave the to the world a very precious gift that could be fully enjoyed and appreciated by both the young and old, which is something very few entertainers can boast.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery

The thing is that the people of Gaza are not our "neighbors". You are welcome to feel for them all you like. They are learning, hopefully, that actions have consequences. But I wouldn't bet on it.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
The thing is that the people of Gaza are not our "neighbors". You are welcome to feel for them all you like. They are learning, hopefully, that actions have consequences. But I wouldn't bet on it.

they are more then our neighbours, they are our flesh and blood.

We are all related... we've just forgotten that.