• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Robin Williams Dead from Apparent Suicide

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Um, no, they are not, Pegg. Certainly they are human beings, but human beings who have made unimaginably poor choices. Apparently those choices are not working out too well for them. Pity, eh?

I'm more concerned about people stranded on a mountaintop, fleeing from certain death, than I am about those suffering in the hellhole known as Gaza.

That was a messed up thing to say. Both deserve our concern. Palestinians did not put themselves into that situation. Most of them are refugees and are living in abject poverty under a military occupation where they get bombs raining down on them on and off.

Last edited:

illykitty

RF's pet cat
Well it is sad that depression got the better of him and I enjoyed the movies he played in that I saw. It sure is sad for his family... I almost lost my mom to suicide, so I can empathise.

I hope that some awareness of depression is raised and/or cause some people to pay more attention to their loved ones. It's hard at times because depending on your personality, depression isn't always so apparent and some people think that if you're not depressed 100% of the time, then you're fine... Or any other misconception variants. Not everyone finds it easy to talk about it either, so suffer in silence, feeling completely alone.

With all that said though, although I'm sure his acting will be missed, I wish even just half of people's attention to this would apply to other tragedies in the world... What a powerful force that would be!

DreadFish

Cosmic Vagabond
As was mentioned, he was only 63 and Parkinson's is livable. Addiction and depression are both treatable, too. He shouldn't have killed himself and should've had much more support.

Interesting how you appear to know enough about his life to be able to say he shouldn't have killed himself and should have had much more support.

Im really not trying to be inflammatory but that's a pretty sure statement about someone you know almost nothing personal about.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Interesting how you appear to know enough about his life to be able to say he shouldn't have killed himself and should have had much more support.

Im really not trying to be inflammatory but that's a pretty sure statement about someone you know almost nothing personal about.

No one should kill themselves. I can't believe people would think that's an option for someone who was not on their deathbed and had livable and treatable illnesses. I have severe depression and have struggled with it for most of my life, on top of having gender dysphoria, being poor, mostly being a shut in and having gone through abuse throughout much of my life. Should I off myself too because life is very hard for me? Going by some of the responses here, I apparently should at least consider it since it's so understandable that he would kill himself.

No, I didn't know him, but it seems like a good possibility that he didn't have a good support system. Maybe he should've hung out with Michael J. Fox, who is triumphing over Parkinson's.

xkatz

No one should kill themselves.
^As someone who suffered from severe depression (and still somewhat) and has serious anxiety, THIS.

I was seriously to the point of considering offing myself (or at least wishing to somehow die ASAP) this past spring. It's rough. But it's not impossible to get through. While my life is probably no more perfect than it was several months back, a few things changed in what I did and my outlook and I have begun to mentally rebound. It feels great being feeling somewhat lighthearted, again.

Last edited:

DreadFish

Cosmic Vagabond
No one should kill themselves. I can't believe people would think that's an option for someone who was not on their deathbed and had livable and treatable illnesses. I have severe depression and have struggled with it for most of my life, on top of having gender dysphoria, being poor, mostly being a shut in and having gone through abuse throughout much of my life. Should I off myself too because life is very hard for me? Going by some of the responses here, I apparently should at least consider it since it's so understandable that he would kill himself.

No to the underlined because that would imply that people are actually recommending it, which they are not. As someone with severe depression, you are aware of the way it distorts your thinking. You are also surely aware of how suddenly things can go bad and how unaware others can be of your condition if you don't share anything about it with them. Of course, I don't know how much he shared with his family. Sometimes support is not enough, either. It's all conjecture here.

Going by some of the responses here, I apparently should at least consider it since it's so understandable that he would kill himself.
I wouldn't equate "understandable" with "the best choice", "the right choice" etc....

Im not recommending anyone take their own life but, if there's anything a person has a right to do, it's to decide when they are finished living. Given some of the apparent difficulties he was facing, it is understandable that he chose that route. Anyway, I think people too often overlook how much our thinking can be distorted when severely depressed and i'd wager it's pretty likely that that was the case here. But I dont know.

No, I didn't know him, but it seems like a good possibility that he didn't have a good support system. Maybe he should've hung out with Michael J. Fox, who is triumphing over Parkinson's.
Yes, it's possible. Of course, I dont know about Michael J. Fox's history with mood disorders and substance addiction. Robin Williams' situation =/= Michael J. Fox's situation.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
^As someone who suffered from severe depression (and still somewhat) and has serious anxiety, this.

I was seriously to the point of considering offing myself (or at least wishing to somehow die ASAP) this past spring. It's rough. But it's not impossible to get through. While my life is probably no more perfect than it was several months back, a few things changed in what I did and my outlook and I have begun to mentally rebound. It feels great being feeling somewhat lighthearted, again.

I have anxiety and panic attacks, myself. I was severely suicidal for years and wanted to die. I spent a few days in the ER under observation for wanting to kill myself in 2012. I'm glad I'm still here, though. I don't want to die. Much of that is because I finally have access to the mental health care and medical care that I was locked out of for years due to being uninsured and not having any money. So I'm getting the help I need and am on medication that helps me manage it.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
No to the underlined because that would imply that people are actually recommending it, which they are not. As someone with severe depression, you are aware of the way it distorts your thinking. You are also surely aware of how suddenly things can go bad and how unaware others can be of your condition if you don't share anything about it with them. Of course, I don't know how much he shared with his family. Sometimes support is not enough, either. It's all conjecture here.

I wouldn't equate "understandable" with "the best choice", "the right choice" etc....

Im not recommending anyone take their own life but, if there's anything a person has a right to do, it's to decide when they are finished living. Given some of the apparent difficulties he was facing, it is understandable that he chose that route. Anyway, I think people too often overlook how much our thinking can be distorted when severely depressed and i'd wager it's pretty likely that that was the case here. But I dont know.

Yes, it's possible. Of course, I dont know about Michael J. Fox's history with mood disorders and substance addiction. Robin Williams' situation =/= Michael J. Fox's situation.

I was replying to one of the posts of this poster who said this:
Well the reason for the suicide is more obvious now. He probably didn't want to be alive for the late stages of the Parkinson.

I'm not trying to advocate suicide for people who are diagnosed with such diseases but I think if you're 63 and you don't want it then there's nothing wrong with quitting.
The underlined part certainly sounds like they think he made a good choice.

We can argue all day over whether people have the "right" to kill themselves (doesn't matter because if a person is really set on it, they'll try it/do it regardless of what anyone thinks) but the point I'm making is that it's a bad choice, especially since I've been there personally and have known many family members and friends who have also been there. Suicidal ideation and suicide attempts have been a part of my life in one form or another for many years.

xkatz

I have anxiety and panic attacks, myself. I was severely suicidal for years and wanted to die. I spent a few days in the ER under observation for wanting to kill myself in 2012. I'm glad I'm still here, though. I don't want to die. Much of that is because I finally have access to the mental health care and medical care that I was locked out of for years due to being uninsured and not having any money. So I'm getting the help I need and am on medication that helps me manage it.
Having either access to medical or professional help is key. For me it was latter. Albeit I don't want to say I'm "out of the woods" quite yet, but it is definitely nice to feel happy and relaxed other than just in a psychotherapist's office. I think a large chunk of the problem in case's like RW, it's still somewhat taboo to talk about mental illness. I haven't even talked to most of my friends at college about it b/c I am worried that they'll look down on me for it :/

DreadFish

Cosmic Vagabond
I was replying to one of the posts of this poster who said this:

The underlined part certainly sounds like they think he made a good choice.

We can argue all day over whether people have the "right" to kill themselves (doesn't matter because if a person is really set on it, they'll try it/do it regardless of what anyone thinks) but the point I'm making is that it's a bad choice, especially since I've been there personally and have known many family members and friends who have also been there. Suicidal ideation and suicide attempts have been a part of my life in one form or another for many years.

Yeah, im aware of the post you were replying to. It doesn't imply right choice to me, more like non-judgement toward the choice.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Having either access to medical or professional help is key. For me it was latter. Albeit I don't want to say I'm "out of the woods" quite yet, but it is definitely nice to feel happy and relaxed other than just in a psychotherapist's office. I think a large chunk of the problem in case's like RW, it's still somewhat taboo to talk about mental illness. I haven't even talked to most of my friends at college about it b/c I am worried that they'll look down on me for it :/

I'm just starting on the road to recovery. I have years of work ahead of me. The biggest improvement so far is that I don't want to die anymore.

Yes, there's definitely still a stigma. There's age-related stigmas, too. I think depression is probably at epidemic levels among older people, but people of certain generations aren't likely to talk about it or seek help. I know that my grandfather, who passed away in his 80s, was severely depressed for the last few decades or so of his life but he would never have admitted it. After he died, we found out that he was on Zoloft. It's seen as a weakness.

Although older people experience that stigma in stronger way, it certainly does effect people regardless of age, such as with your example. There's still so much misunderstanding about it. My mom used to get mad at me because I am not able to work and it's very hard to get me to do much of anything. But she finally realized that I'm ill and that I can't help it so she doesn't really get mad at me about it anymore. (She also suffers from depression; it runs in my family.) I have a habit of hating myself for feeling useless due to this.

Kerr

So... apparently someone thought it was a good idea to send a picture to Robin Williams daughter of what was claimed to be Robins dead body over twitter. As it turned out, the picture was fake. Someone had literally photoshoped it just to send it to his daughter. Wtf? Why would you do that to anyone? What is wrong with some people?

EDIT:

Sorry if that was random, I just get a little upset when I hear things like that. Its pointless and mean and one of those things you just dont to do anyone. It could have been the daughter/son of a serial killer and it would still be a stupid thing to do.

Last edited:

ametist

So... apparently someone thought it was a good idea to send a picture to Robin Williams daughter of what was claimed to be Robins dead body over twitter. As it turned out, the picture was fake. Someone had literally photoshoped it just to send it to his daughter. Wtf? Why would you do that to anyone? What is wrong with some people?

EDIT:

Sorry if that was random, I just get a little upset when I hear things like that. Its pointless and mean and one of those things you just dont to do anyone. It could have been the daughter/son of a serial killer and it would still be a stupid thing to do.

It is wrong and sad, you are right. Some people are just wrong because of the education they received that makes them pick harmful choices or simply because they have mental hardship. There needs to be a court to decide which so proper solutions can be offered to these people or at least they should be warned indicating freedoms they have shouldnt be used that way. Perhaps its just a drug using teenager whose parents are unaware and if there is a court their parents can choose to care more about the situation. It should be brought to attention.so I hope they take the case to the court.

Maldini

63 is not that old but you're thinking about being 70-80 years old and not being able to be active, many people wouldn't want that.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Watching Robin Williams Weapons of Self Destruction, it really brings to home that he was the only comedian that entertained me as a child and an adult. Truly the world is a dimer place with losing him. From the Genie in Aladdin and the bat in Ferngully, to his adult and raunchy adult comedy and movies you can't understand until you've lived long enough, I'm sure his comedy will be with me until the end of my own life. Indeed the world lost a shining light were darkness is what we have to look forward to.