• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Robin Williams Dead from Apparent Suicide

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I first saw Robin Williams on The New Laugh In, a 1970s ensemble comedy TV show. His improv performances frequently cracked up the other performers.

He will be missed.
You know. I think I'll dredge up some old reruns of his. When I first came across Williams, my sides ached so bad from laughing. He was class all the way.

Twilight Hue

:no:
It seems funny to feel genuinely sad about someone's death when you never actually knew them. Nevertheless, im sad :(

Robin Williams, I think, was a big part of my childhood with all the movies I saw.

True. But can't deny the indirect relationship between Williams and his public. :0)

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I don't feel sad about his death.
It just makes me think about how wonderful his work was.
Tis commemoration rather than mourning.

Note: In that social test thingie, I scored low on "tenderness".

Twilight Hue

Im kinda depressed. I just realised that most of my favorite actors and actresses that I grew up with are largely deceased now. :sad4:

DreadFish

Cosmic Vagabond
I don't feel sad about his death.
It just makes me think about how wonderful his work was.
Tis commemoration rather than mourning.

Note: In that social test thingie, I scored low on "tenderness".

You're such a man of contradictions. How revolting!

Yeah, I like your sentiment. I am sad, but I do think it's best to celebrate his life rather than mourn so much. If we can make something sad into something happy, I think we should.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
You're such a man of contradictions. How revolting!

Yeah, I like your sentiment. I am sad, but I do think it's best to celebrate his life rather than mourn so much. If we can make something sad into something happy, I think we should.
One does what calls to one.

Mister_T

Forum Relic
Premium Member
Totally crushed hearing the news today. When I was a kid and my parents divorced, his movies that were popular during that time were very therapeutic for a then 8 year old boy trying to deal with everything. It was always one of those "safe places" whenever one was put on for me, where you'd just forget about everything and laugh. Big part of my childhood is gone, perhaps unnecessarily.

methylatedghosts

Can't brain. Has dumb.
Patch Adams had a big influence on me when I saw it for the first time. It remains one of my favourite films. It's sad to know there won't be any more films with him. RIP

MD

qualiaphile
I generally don't get upset by celebrity deaths, but I really loved his movies. Patch Adams, Jumanji, Good Will Hunting...so many more. I loved him in Awakenings.

When we first came to Canada, we didn't have a TV, but as a kid my sister and I would go to the Zellers electronics section and watch Jumanji over and over again and we loved him.

Even now I love watching Hook!

He brought so much joy to the world.

Last edited:

freethinker44

That's too bad. Saw him do stand-up live once, he was so funny and it felt like he made up the entire set right there. A lot of talent.

Makes his performance in What Dreams May Come kind of ironic now though.

Thana

Lady
Aww man.. Mrs Doubtfire, Jumanji, Aladdin, Even Flubber.
He really brightened a lot of people's lives, So sad that he went this way, That he went at all really.

Reactions: MD

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I admit that I was startled by this news... but strangely I'm not shocked ... hard to describe.

Robin Williams helped me feel normal. When I saw him, I knew I wasn't the only one like this.

Depression is such a terrible mistress....

Last edited:

Mycroft

Ministry of Serendipity
Things like this truly show the mindset of the world. With all of the terrible things happening in the world, this (possibly the least terrible in the scheme of things) the one thing the world pays attention to.

Over a thousand dead palestinians? Nothing.
Displaced iraqi's hunted and oppressed? Nope. Nothing.
Robin Williams' death? Now people take notice.

I think we live in a society of mean spirited, salacious, idol worshipping hypocrites. The pressure that people exert continually drives talented folk to their early graves. Why do people bother crying over the deaths of people like Michael Jackson, Heath Ledger, Robin Williams and so many others when it was society's prying interest in their personal lives that compounded their existing problems? Shouldn't they be happy that they finally reached the final conclusion that they steered them towards?

Mycroft

Ministry of Serendipity
Robin Williams helped me feel normal. When I saw him, I knew I wasn't the only one like this.

Quick question. Robin Williams' job is to act like someone else. How do you know that he was like you? How do you know what he was really like at all?

BSM1

What? Me worry?
We never know what's in the mind of others. Even those that seem to have the world maybe truly be alone. RIP, Robin. We loved you for how you made us feel.

Wirey

Fartist
Things like this truly show the mindset of the world. With all of the terrible things happening in the world, this (possibly the least terrible in the scheme of things) the one thing the world pays attention to.

Over a thousand dead palestinians? Nothing.
Displaced iraqi's hunted and oppressed? Nope. Nothing.
Robin Williams' death? Now people take notice.

I think we live in a society of mean spirited, salacious, idol worshipping hypocrites. The pressure that people exert continually drives talented folk to their early graves. Why do people bother crying over the deaths of people like Michael Jackson, Heath Ledger, Robin Williams and so many others when it was society's prying interest in their personal lives that compounded their existing problems? Shouldn't they be happy that they finally reached the final conclusion that they steered them towards?

A thousand Palestinians and Iraqis are just numbers to me. I saw Robin Williams, and he made me smile. He became a part of my life in a small way, and I'm sad to see him go. Glad you're taking it so well, though.