• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Requirements for a Religion

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Let's say for argument's sake that I wanted to start my own religion after realizing that while I agree with some tenets of an existing religion, but disagree with others.

I begin by laying out a few moral principles. Though I don't agree with some tenets and don't buy into some scripture of the aforementioned existing religion, I do revere the God of that religion.

So I have some moral principles and a God. What else do I need?

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
All you need is a belief or set of beliefs that manifests an ethic in its adherents.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
You need to throw in some crazy things like strange, unexplainable laws like, don't eat duck or carrots, and some dress basics, like always wear long sleeves or tie a string around your left arm. People appreciate this sort of thing.

Also preferably add some festivals in there too, with dress-up and scripture readings.

And ideally make the scripture be in a foreign/archaic language to many converts.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

I'd ask what are your core values, beliefs, vision and mission statements are.

Then ask yourself if the god you believe in defines these things above and how.

I'd write all the things you dont care for in your former religion and write contrast values you have so to shed any definitions of your former religion that doesnt apply to you.

Also, I define god, its role, is he (or she? Or it?) involved in your life or seperate from it? What role does god play in your life?

These are reflection questions. Religion means a Practice of ones faith. You have your own (maybe societal? Family?) Your own traditions but you can make your own by how you preserve your belief system. As a practice, one thing I learned from being at a temple was the teacher said instead of studying (the Dharma) first and then find connections throughout the day of what you study, go throughout the day and take note of different things you notice about what you do. When you come home, reflect and see if your habits align (with The Dharma).

If your habits dont align with your beliefs and values, you may continur to have trouble putting together a belief system. Reflect on your already set values, find where god has its place, and go from there.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Let's say for argument's sake that I wanted to start my own religion after realizing that while I agree with some tenets of an existing religion, but disagree with others.

I begin by laying out a few moral principles. Though I don't agree with some tenets and don't buy into some scripture of the aforementioned existing religion, I do revere the God of that religion.

You don't need religion, so you don't need anything else.

But if you're asking what you'd need for it to be a religion... one big thing: other people.

A religion is a community of shared belief and practice. One person does not make a community. You can have a one-person belief system, but not a one-person religion.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
They are philosophical beliefs rather than religions aren't they? A bit like atheism.

Some Deists/Pantheists may construct a broader philosophical/religious outlook based on these though.
Deism and pantheism are umbrella terms that apply to beliefs both within various religions and outside of religion.

"Pantheism" isn't a religion the same way "Trinitarianism" isn't a religion... but both terms describe beliefs that are tenets of religions.

syo

love.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
They are philosophical beliefs rather than religions aren't they? A bit like atheism.

Some Deists/Pantheists may construct a broader philosophical/religious outlook based on these though.

Deism and pantheism are umbrella terms that apply to beliefs both within various religions and outside of religion.

"Pantheism" isn't a religion the same way "Trinitarianism" isn't a religion... but both terms describe beliefs that are tenets of religions.

Would it be accurate to say Deism and Pantheism are not religions, but rather philosophical beliefs?

'Umbrella term' is a bit problematic for me in this context, as Paganism is considered an umbrella term for religions such as Druidry, Wicca, Asatru, etc., and Christianity is an umbrella term for religions such as Lutheran, Pentecostal, Baptist, etc., yet Paganism and Christianity are also considered religions in and of themselves.

Woberts

The Perfumed Seneschal
Legally, at least in the US, you need:
  • Distinct religious history
  • Membership not associated with any other church or denomination
  • Established places of worship
And probably;y some more. Keep in mind, this is just what I remember off the top of my head when I tried to form my own religion a few years ago.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Would it be accurate to say Deism and Pantheism are not religions, but rather philosophical beliefs?
They can be tenets of religions and belief systems. A religion can, say, have a pantheistic idea of their god, but pantheism by itself isn't the be-all and end-all of the religion.

'Umbrella term' is a bit problematic for me in this context, as Paganism is considered an umbrella term for religions such as Druidry, Wicca, Asatru, etc., and Christianity is an umbrella term for religions such as Lutheran, Pentecostal, Baptist, etc., yet Paganism and Christianity are also considered religions in and of themselves.
Typically, I'll consider Christianity the religion and Lutheran/Pentecostal/etc. denominations of the religion.

I don't consider Paganism as a whole to be a religion; I'm not sure I'd even consider it a family of religions. I mean, I can't think of any common thread between, say, Asatru and Kemetic Paganism - they're the product of very different cultures in completely separate parts of the world. It seems to me that the only common factor among Pagan religions is that they aren't Abrahamic.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
In my other occupation, as faith-heeler(sic), you have to promise to give up your religion in order to be a member of my new religion - where you will obtain eternal freedom - or as long as you live - whichever comes first. No requirements to do anything, no costs, and full guarantee of money back if dissatisfied. :oops: Will even pay for transport costs to the afterlife - if one can be located.

Last edited:

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member

You don't need any God. But you do need the ability to discuss your values, as well as how, why, and where they apply and fail to apply.

Yes, I am aware that this is not a very popular perception. But it is mine.

Liu

Legally, at least in the US, you need:
  • Distinct religious history
  • Membership not associated with any other church or denomination
  • Established places of worship
And probably;y some more. Keep in mind, this is just what I remember off the top of my head when I tried to form my own religion a few years ago.
From what I heard in the context of the legal battles that The Satanic Temple is fighting, you just need "deeply held beliefs" in the US.
What you describe rather sounds like the situation here in Germany (albeit the rules are not properly laid out here from what I know).

In reply to the OP: Depends on what you wanna do with it. Is it for your own use, or do you want others to join, or do you want it to be recognized by your state? I'd say what you have is enough already for personal use, at least for getting started.

Making up your own religions in that fashion is more or less obligatory for us LHPers.

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
You will definetly need answers to every why question about ultimate reality.

In this day and age i am sure people can come up with more sophisticated and believable religions than these old battle axes humanity lugs around with them.

Last edited: