• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Religious typology quiz

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Solidly secular.
I'm not sure how it knew I've put on a little weight lately, but that was impressive.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
You are not playing the game. First you take the (flawed) test. Then you report the result. Then you complain about the (flawed) test.
Is not what I posted equivalent to "solidly secular"?
The truly unlightened poster should know.

GoodbyeDave

It put me down as a "religious resister". In other words, some-one who opposes the Christian churches and rejects the Bible. It's entirely designed from a Christian viewpoint. I can see why Pew are taken seriously in the USA but not outside it.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
Most Relaxed Religious Americans say they believe in the God of the Bible, {nope}
"Most" isn't "all."
Zero percent of those categorized as Relaxed Religious answered the question in the way I did.

and four-in-ten pray daily. {nope}
So then you're in line with most of your group. ;)
Five percent of those categorized as Relaxed Religious answered the question in the way I did.
Zero-five.png

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
In case folks are interested, I got shunted into the Religious Resisters category. Which, insofar as contemporary Paganism is a countercultural religious movement on the whole, makes at least a small sliver of sense. But the paragraph doesn't describe me well at all:
  • "Religion Resisters largely do believe in some higher power or spiritual force (but not the God of the Bible)" - this is essentially right albeit imprecise
  • "...and many have some New Age beliefs and consider themselves spiritual but not religious." - traditional/indigenous Pagan practices are not "New Age" and I hate the word "spiritual"
  • "At the same time, members of this group express strongly negative views of organized religion..." - I don't have negative views of organized religions, much less "strongly negative" ones
  • "...saying that churches have too much influence in politics and that, overall, religion does more harm than good." - I literally selected the opposite of "religion does more harm than good" in the survey and don't hold simple views on the intersect of religions and politics
  • "Religion Resisters are generally liberal and Democratic in their political views." - this is essentially right
It's supposed to sort me into a like-minded, cohesive group. It failed. :sweat:

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
It's supposed to sort me into a like-minded, cohesive group. It failed. :sweat:
That's because, I would suggest, the design of the study started with the assumption that there are 8 or 9 "like-minded, cohesive" groups that people can be sorted into, based on the questions asked and the choices provided. I rather suspect that they didn't do the necessary statistical tests (factor analysis) to see whether their model holds up in the face of actual data--a typical problem in the social sciences and survey research.

Like you, I found those same questions relatively meaningless, as we're not allowed "does not apply" or "unsure" or "something else" as an option.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
Just redid the survey, tried to answer the way I thought I did before...

I'm now spiritually awake, rather than a religious resistor...

tayla

My dog's name is Tayla
I'm "spiritually awake". What are you?

Quiz: What is your religious typology?
I am "Relaxed Religious", along with 17% of the public. But I think many of the questions assumed words mean things that I don't think they mean, so this designation is useless. That's the problem with multiple choice and polls: garbage in (the questions), garbage out (the interpretation of the answers).