• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Religious Truth And The Jehovah's Witnesses

Earthling

David Henson
Having convinced yourself and not your audience that your take on Christianity is the best religion there is, you have your sights set on a demonination of Christianity that views itself as the greatest.

All the best with that.

Personal responsibility. I'm not here to convince the audience of anything, that's up to them. At this point I've concluded from my own examination that half of the religions have nothing to say about creation or a creator. Does that make them "better?" That depends upon the person. The other half all come from one source, three of them are not in harmony with the first and one of them is in harmony with the first. The first one went off track. Lost it's way and was replaced by the second which was a continuation of the first.

I don't know what demonination means, I've never heard that term.

Phantasman

The best OP I have read since becoming a RF member.

I have traveled that same path. Seeking and finding. I also studied with JWs, having the NWT, the older and newer "Aid to Bible Understanding" and other Watchtower publications. I also went and stayed in Provo, Utah for 6 months, going to Latter Day Saints meetings, reading the Book of Mormon, Doctrine and Covenance, Pearl of Great Price, and the study of Joseph Smith to Brigham Young, etc. I studied the early Christian scriptures, those accepted by the orthodox catholics and those not. Read many early church fathers such as Tetullian, Ignatius, Josephus, Valentinus, Clement, Barnabus, Ireaneus, Origen, etc, etc.

My own conclusion is that all religions started with a man or group of men that felt that they found the truth, the only truth, and taught others as to follow them. This is what a religion is. So why so many? For centuries, the orthodox catholics, since it's creation as Romes church in 325AD, went to great lengths to teach their ideology as the true religion. Even through the murdering, or exile from the Empire, of those who may question such ideology. They became the celestial authority, and chose their Canon as the only truth.

For 1000 years, the Canon (Bible) was only written in Latin, to be orated by those given celestial authority, namely the Catholic Priests. During this same time that the Bible Canon was held hostage, man went through the Dark Ages. It wasn't until the 1300s that the Bible was given to man through translations from Latin to English by William Tyndale, then John Wycliffe. The latter quickly using the new Guttenburg Press to recreated 50 English and German Bibles before he was hunted down and killed at the order of the Pope.

Once the Bible became readable by common men, the religions started by men like Martin Luther and John Wesley. The many religions of today started at the end of the 19th century.

Personally, I have found most religions as a take off of catholic orthodoxy and their Canon books. But after my own study of the early Christian scriptures and history, the actual split in Christian ideology occurred in 40AD. The orthodox ideology and the gnostic ideology. This seed began when Paul challenged Peter at the "Incident at Antioch". The circumcised (Jews/Pharisee's) had lost their celestial authority when the veil was torn from bottom to top. Peter was influenced by the Jews to demand the Gentiles follow the laws of Noah for circumcision and diets, etc. Paul argued the point that the ways of flesh were ended with the arrival of Spirit (capital S). James and even Pauls longtime friend Barnabas sided with Peter.

From reading the early Christian scriptures, I have found that I believe Pauls testimony over Peters. Through study, John agreed with Paul, as well as Philip and others. This split is important in whether the OT has any place in the Gospel of not. Marcion didn't believe so. And neither did Paul, writing the whole to the Galatians of the "false gospel" (Galatians 1), Pauls account disputing Peter (Galatians 2) and explaining no need for fleshly (circumcision/diets) acts, but to be of the Spirit instead.

I have accepted the many verses that now jump out at me that Jesus didn't want us to allow the OT to mislead us as it did the Jews. Once I saw this early split for what it was, and combined the books written by those who claimed Spiritual knowledge (over the Jews that never had the Spirit), the Gospel message became an amazing reflection of the truth of what "Christ" is, and means.

Just my thoughts. After all the orthodoxy of over twenty years, I could never go back to the confusion of what religion is the correct one. None of them are, IMO. That doesn't mean people will "go to hell" or not achieve a sense of Christianity. But the clarity I have discovered, backed by Canon and non Canon Gospel messages, the path of the Spirit (that led Jesus as Christ) becomes a personal path, rather than trusting other men who create paths for others.

danieldemol

Premium Member
here is a post I made earlier about Scientists, all who are Jehovah's Witnesses, and don't believe in Evolution. See here
Sadly they may be saying they don’t believe in evolution just to avoid being disfellowshipped, without that compulsion being removed we will never know.

Although you did not provide links to their denials of evolution, and it may be just an assumption that because they attend a JW church they don’t privately hold conflicting beliefs.

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
Personal responsibility. I'm not here to convince the audience of anything, that's up to them. At this point I've concluded from my own examination that half of the religions have nothing to say about creation or a creator. Does that make them "better?" That depends upon the person. The other half all come from one source, three of them are not in harmony with the first and one of them is in harmony with the first. The first one went off track. Lost it's way and was replaced by the second which was a continuation of the first.

I don't know what demonination means, I've never heard that term.

I would regard the Jehovah Witnesses as a denomination of Christianity as the are an autonomous branch of the Christian Church.

I'm aware that their leadership made a series of predictions that failed.

Criticism of Jehovah's Witnesses - Wikipedia

What does denomination mean?

denomination

a recognized autonomous branch of the Christian Church.
"the Presbyterian community is the second largest denomination in the country"
synonyms: religious group, sect, Church, cult, movement, faith community, body, persuasion, religious persuasion, communion, order, fraternity, brotherhood, sisterhood, school;
faith, creed, belief, religious belief, religion;

denomination meaning - Google Search

Earthling

David Henson
Sadly they may be saying they don’t believe in evolution just to avoid being disfellowshipped, without that compulsion being removed we will never know.

Although you did not provide links to their denials of evolution, and it may be just an assumption that because they attend a JW church they don’t privately hold conflicting beliefs.

You just absolutely refuse that it is even possible for someone in the field of science to to disagree with evolution. It's never occurred to you that in order for science to correct itself would require that the entire system collapse due to the dogmatic position they hold on evolution. Science has been wrong time and time again on everything it holds true, yet you believe the current science must be infallible. While at the same time insisting it be fallible.

It doesn't make any sense to me. It's dogmatic willful ignorance. Have you seen the documentary

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Mormons believe that the Bible is incomplete.
,We absolutely do, and there is plenty of evidence that this is the case.

That the heavens and earth were created by Jesus Christ under the direction of God the Father.
And that's exactly what the Bible teaches.

The writings of Joseph Smith often contradict the Bible, though, and there is no evidence of his alleged historical references.
They only contradict the Bible as you understand them. If push comes to shove, the Bible contradicts the Bible.

David1967

Premium Member
Do Buddhist not love one another? Who would have the most convincing history of brotherly love, among themselves or those outside of their beliefs, Buddhists or Christians? Not that Buddhists haven't had bloody disputes among themselves, mind you, but compared to Christianity? No contest.

This is too much of a blanket statement. This assumes that everyone who says they are a follower of Christ is a Christian. Were the people who raped and murdered and pillaged in the name of Christ during the crusades and the Spanish inquisition really doing the will of and following the teachings of Jesus? Of course not. What they did was simply pure evil, and in complete contrast to what Jesus taught. There are and have been however followers of Christ who did not approve or take part in such things or align themselves with this sort of thing. Even today there are Christian groups that refuse to take part in war such as The 'Amish' or as @Deeje and @Hockeycowboy are a part of, 'Jehovah Witnesses.' There are more but those two come to mind.

Earthling

David Henson
But on your own? Not baptized or part of Jehovah's modern day people?

What choice do I have? Would I want to be baptized or associate myself with 99% of Christians who teach false doctrine? Myth and fables? Would I be baptized by someone who I think are false prophets?

So can I ask what you study intensely?

The Bible, with the help of the Watchtower Library. I explained that I thought that the JWs were the closest to the truth, but that they were false prophets. Someone made the remark that I was talking out of both sides of my mouth. Here is the reality as a whole. The Watchtower is run by a group of old men in New York called the Governing Body. Their primary concern is not Jehovah's will, it's keeping numbers up. Quite often throughout their history they have made decisions that greatly impact peoples lives. People have spent years in prison, died in need of organ transplants. lost everything they own, including their families and friends, only to have the Governing Body change it's position and then blame the ones who were foolish enough to listen to them.

But, there is also a team of writers and researchers who have a sincere interest, if only somewhat misguided due to a loyalty to a organization of men, who have accumulated over the years a great deal of accurate information on the Bible. As long as the stuff the writing team is dealing with doesn't involve the organization it's good. When they start reading themselves into prophecy it's like they go nuts. That's where the research stops and the influence of the Governing Body starts.

I notice that you have used our old NWT....did you know its been updated? The new revised edition has made some important changes. :)

Interesting! What passages did I use which indicated to you that I used an old NWT?

If Paul said that we must "all speak in agreement", (1 Corinthians 1:10) who is it that you are in agreement with? If you study on your own and make up your own mind about what to believe, then how are you part of the Master's household? He said he would appoint a 'faithful and discreet slave' to feed all of his fellow slaves their "food at the proper time" (Matthew 24:45).....can I ask who is feeding you?
party0017.gif
I don't think God recommends self service.

Paul was addressing the Corinthians. Congregations met in households. They didn't have a corporation headquarters. What you are really telling me, and the world, is that "Yeah, Jesus is the only way to Jehovah, true, BUT, we are the only way to Jesus." And that's presumptuous at the least, and out right lie at the worst. Your job, like Paul's and like mine, is to plant the seed. That's all.

Is being isolated how Jesus taught us to be a disciple? Paul's words, alluded to by Hockeycowboy meant that we are supposed to associate regularly with our spiritual brothers and sisters, (Romans 1:12; Hebrews 10:24-25)......so who are your 'brothers and sisters', if I may ask?

Apparently supporting a human organization of false prophets. Where were Enoch's, John's, Melchizedek's brothers and sisters?

Hang on...I have been a Witness for 45 years and I have no memory of being told not to read the Proclaimers Book.
confused0006.gif
Must have missed the memo....

The society were admonishing the JWs for NOT reading the Proclaimers book. There wasn't an interest in it. They weren't getting it, and when they did get it they weren't reading it. The Proclaimers Book, by the way, readers, is a 600 + page history of the Watchtower.

Hmmmm....the opinions of humans really don't count you know.

Most definitely. I was merely pointing out that I took my spiritual responsibility, a personal responsibility, very serious. It was very important to me.

Was Jehovah seeing you as a brother? That is the more important question.

Jehovah doesn't think of any one as his brother. I've never heard such a thing. Friend, yes. Children, yes. Brother? No.

You see, its not about head knowledge or how good a 'student' you are....satan had more head knowledge than any human, and yet he thought more of himself than Jehovah did.....its about what is in our hearts, not about how much knowledge is in our head. (1 Corinthians 8:1) And it matters how we represent our Master. Anyone can put on a front.....and I am starting to get the impression that you were good at it....am I mistaken?

I consider that extremely insulting. I put on no front. Ever. For anyone. It would be foolish of me to think I could do so with Jehovah, and pointless to do it with anyone else.
sign0153.gif
Here is an example....you're telling us that the hypocrites stumbled you and yet here you are telling us that you lied to the brother studying with you and everyone else? And because he admitted to doing the same, that somehow made it OK? Weren't you also lying to Jehovah? Wasn't he? :shrug:

There's more to it than that. Hypocrites didn't stumble me, they revealed to me the reality. I lied to the PO because I was unsure of the organization's claims. I didn't want to let them decide for me what was right and what was wrong. I doubted their claims of Jehovah's direct participation in their affairs. So I said to myself, I want to go from door to door more than anything, let's go out with them, as the PO suggested, and see what it's like. I told you what it was like.

The PO had a different scenario. He had smoked for years, before the surgeon general's warning the society allowed smoking, but publishers were not allowed to smoke. I came along much later when the policy was no smoking even for unbaptized publishers. Neither one of us were of the opinion that what we did was OK, we made mistakes. You know how the writers of the Bible were very honest and forthcoming about their mistakes. Not so much the society. Unless it becomes a legal issue or their numbers start to fall. Why is this? Because it would look like their organization isn't Jehovah's. It isn't. It doesn't work that way.

I'm sorry but I am getting a bit confused about the accounts you are giving here.....to tell you the truth, I am sick of hearing one sided stories about my brothers for the simple reason we can't hear the other side of these stories. No judgment is possible unless both sides are presented. It doesn't stop people from doing it though.

You encourage other people to investigate their denomination's shortcomings while yours forbids you to do so. Doesn't that bother you?

I guess the Jews heard some awful stories about those terrible Christians too. It was enough to make them want to kill him, even though none of them were true! Does history repeat?

You ain't them.

I will wait to hear about your issues with our beliefs......from what you have said so far, it might be interesting....

That's pretty much it. Organ transplants, vaccinations, higher education, the Standfasters (neutrality) are pretty much brief asides, covering up child molestation and false prophecy is the primary concern, other than the obvious fact that when anyone says they have the only way to God or truth even, they are lying.

Last edited by a moderator:

Earthling

David Henson
This is too much of a blanket statement. This assumes that everyone who says they are a follower of Christ is a Christian. Were the people who raped and murdered and pillaged in the name of Christ during the crusades and the Spanish inquisition really doing the will of and following the teachings of Jesus? Of course not. What they did was simply pure evil, and in complete contrast to what Jesus taught. There are and have been however followers of Christ who did not approve or take part in such things or align themselves with this sort of thing. Even today there are Christian groups that refuse to take part in war such as The 'Amish' or as @Deeje and @Hockeycowboy are a part of, 'Jehovah Witnesses.' There are more but those two come to mind.

War isn't the only issue. The question becomes, not so much who are the true Christians but rather what does it mean to be a true Christian. Because it isn't a matter of who sins less, but do we not all sin? If we were not sinners we wouldn't need Christ.

Earthling

David Henson
Where are the original stone tablets inscribed with the Ten Commandments? Where is Noah's ark? Where is the evidence of a mass exodus of the Jews from Egypt? They aren't there.

First of all, you are talking about a small percentage that took place a great deal earlier. As I said, there is a great deal of corroborating evidence for the Bible, not for the book of Mormon. That doesn't imply all of the evidence has been gathered or that all of it gathered has been interpreted correctly, but the latter pales in comparison to the former. The Bible has a great deal, the other doesn't.

danieldemol

Premium Member
You just absolutely refuse that it is even possible for someone in the field of science to to disagree with evolution.
No I don’t
Science has been wrong time and time again on everything it holds true, yet you believe the current science must be infallible. While at the same time insisting it be fallible.
No I did not insist it was infallible.

I know that a small minority of scientists disagree with evolution, however it was not unreasonable to ask for verification since it is such a small minority who disagree.

Also they would be disfellowshipped if they accepted evolution do you deny this?

Although it is sad the people in the video lost their jobs, there was a lot of propaganda in that video showing pictures of people getting shoved around and a guillotine being brought out which simply isn’t happening in the western world and such propoganda incites the simple minded.

I wasn’t able to watch the video the whole way through due to a technical error, will try again later.

Earthling

David Henson
Also they would be disfellowshipped if they accepted evolution do you deny this?

Exactly. Big red flag.

Although it is sad the people in the video lost their jobs, there was a lot of propaganda in that video showing pictures of people getting shoved around and a guillotine being brought out which simply isn’t happening in the western world and such propoganda incites the simple minded.

I wasn’t able to watch the video the whole way through due to a technical error, will try again later.

I don't think it's the simple minded that are affected by the propaganda. Nor the designers of it.

nPeace

Veteran Member
You just absolutely refuse that it is even possible for someone in the field of science to to disagree with evolution. It's never occurred to you that in order for science to correct itself would require that the entire system collapse due to the dogmatic position they hold on evolution. Science has been wrong time and time again on everything it holds true, yet you believe the current science must be infallible. While at the same time insisting it be fallible.

It doesn't make any sense to me. It's dogmatic willful ignorance. Have you seen the documentary

Great video!
The best part of it imo was.
1:30:40

So how did life start? We don't know.
It could be that... [life] evolved by Darwinian means, then seeded life which then evolved by Darwinian means.
So how did that life start? We don't know.
It could be that... [life] evolved...

Circular reasoning...
Then to hear him claim to have evidence, was just so, how should I put it...
Let me just say... he put the seal on it.
Isaiah 44:25
I am frustrating the signs of the empty talkers, And I am the One who makes diviners act like fools; The One confounding the wise men And turning their knowledge into foolishness. . .
1 Corinthians 1:19, 20

Truth.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
There are a few scientists (though even more rarely, biologists) who deny evolution. There are also a few scientists who believe in flat earth or who don't believe in the heliocentric model of the solar system. I'm curious as to why it's always so important that there's scientists who don't agree with ToE but it's never brought up in any other discipline. No one argues against Newton's Laws of Physics just because he made errors or had outdated information. Why? That's what I constantly see being done in the argumentation of ToE.
And science is never infallible, it never claims to be infallible. That's always been a religious thing, as I recall. More often found within the Abrahamic camps, though there are certainly fundamentalist camps outside of them who claim such a thing about their books, leaders, what have you.

Also I was kind of disappointed with Expelled. I mean really, Ben Stein as your host? At least get someone like Ray "banana Ray" Comfort. Say what you like about him, but the man can hold an audience. Course I don't have a horse in this race, I'm just saying from an outsider's perspective.

Oh yeah, and there's some quibbles about his intellectual honesty or whatever. Apparently these nerds have issues with the movie or whatever.
https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/six-things-ben-stein-doesnt-want-you-to-know/
Expelled A Parade of Logical Fallacy | Whittier College
I mean yeah you guys have Crocoduck, but the Atheists have the Bible Reloaded. I mean you see my dilemma, right.
Although I guess I can't really talk. My paltry knowledge would get me expelled. Perhaps @sayak83 could help me out here. They seem rather science-y.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
"Mormons believe that the Bible is incomplete."
We absolutely do, and there is plenty of evidence that this is the case.
That's true. The Bible is not the complete Word of God.
There is absolutely no reason to believe that the Bible is the last and only Word of God for all of eternity. :rolleyes:

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
But on your own? Not baptized or part of Jehovah's modern day people? So can I ask what you study intensely?
I notice that you have used our old NWT....did you know its been updated? The new revised edition has made some important changes. :)

If Paul said that we must "all speak in agreement", (1 Corinthians 1:10) who is it that you are in agreement with?
If you study on your own and make up your own mind about what to believe, then how are you part of the Master's household? He said he would appoint a 'faithful and discreet slave' to feed all of his fellow slaves their "food at the proper time" (Matthew 24:45).....can I ask who is feeding you?
party0017.gif
I don't think God recommends self service.

Is being isolated how Jesus taught us to be a disciple? Paul's words, alluded to by Hockeycowboy meant that we are supposed to associate regularly with our spiritual brothers and sisters, (Romans 1:12; Hebrews 10:24-25)......so who are your 'brothers and sisters', if I may ask?

Hang on...I have been a Witness for 45 years and I have no memory of being told not to read the Proclaimers Book.
confused0006.gif
Must have missed the memo....

Hmmmm....the opinions of humans really don't count you know. Was Jehovah seeing you as a brother? That is the more important question. You see, its not about head knowledge or how good a 'student' you are....satan had more head knowledge than any human, and yet he thought more of himself than Jehovah did.....its about what is in our hearts, not about how much knowledge is in our head. (1 Corinthians 8:1) And it matters how we represent our Master. Anyone can put on a front.....and I am starting to get the impression that you were good at it....am I mistaken?

sign0153.gif
Here is an example....you're telling us that the hypocrites stumbled you and yet here you are telling us that you lied to the brother studying with you and everyone else? And because he admitted to doing the same, that somehow made it OK? Weren't you also lying to Jehovah? Wasn't he? :shrug:

I'm sorry but I am getting a bit confused about the accounts you are giving here.....to tell you the truth, I am sick of hearing one sided stories about my brothers for the simple reason we can't hear the other side of these stories. No judgment is possible unless both sides are presented. It doesn't stop people from doing it though.
I guess the Jews heard some awful stories about those terrible Christians too. It was enough to make them want to kill their leader, even though none of them were true! Does history repeat?

I will wait to hear about your issues with our beliefs......from what you have said so far, it might be interesting....
I'd just like to say that growing older has been a great consideration for me -- I can look back and see (1) how imperfect I am, and (2) how imperfect others are.

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
Because it would look like their organization isn't Jehovah's. It isn't. It doesn't work that way.
How does it work?

Was Israel, Jehovah’s people? What about when Manasseh was ruling, and sacrificing his children to Molech? And many others of the Israelites?

What would you have done? Left? Go where?

Reminds one of what Jesus said to his Apostles in John 6, when he spoke to his followers to test them. They failed the test, and left. Peter had the right attitude...’where else is there to go? You have the truth.’

When one is looking for fault, they can always find it. And if they don’t want to overlook it, it’s usually because of a personal agenda.

Take care.