• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Religion Has Nothing to Do With Science

Religion has nothing to do with science.

• True

Votes: 19 43.2%
  • Untrue

Votes: 25 56.8%

• Total voters

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
In my understanding the 10 commandments are advanced mathematical quantum physics of Jacobs Ladder (Genesis 28:12-13).

The forms of Yoga and Chakra system are biological metaphysical anatomy.

Moses created a statutory Law system, and others adapted it to create better systems of society.

Everyone is slowly trying to understand reality; where science and religion are two branches of the same study.

In my opinion. :innocent:

One takes a religion and makes it their own IMO. What you make out of religion, where you personally take it is up to you. I'm just looking for where religious scripture or formal doctrine promote something like scientific methodology to validate its own claims. IOW, not advocate a reliance on faith.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Actually, this is not true. The scientist must first enter into the world of imagination, prior to evidences supporting that vision, in order to device tests and experiments to see if his guesses, dreams and faith can be supported scientifically. It all begins with a vision or dream.

The natural world is not imagination.i

A scientist will build a hypothesis based on observation, they may use imagination (based on education and specific experience) to devise experiment to test the hypothesis.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
By what process does your religion tell you to validate it's claims? You wanting scientific validation for clams, great. What does your religion say about it?
By the scientific process.

I think you missed an 'i' in clams (underlined). However, if you really meant clams, then my religion says:
Clams: Kingdom - Animalia, Superphylum - Lophotrochozoa, Phylum - Mollusca.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
Religion, most of the time, goes into the world of fantasy.
Good religion tells us of truths not detectable through the five senses and how to live our lives in harmony and happiness with the greater reality.

I owe a large part of my happiness to the religious masters I have come to respect. Like Einstein's Theory of Relativity in science, there are religious/spiritual truths I would not have figured out on my own.

ChristineM

Premium Member
We ought to discuss these matters at some length sometime, Christine.

For now, let's just say that I think that I see where you come from, but I respectfully think also that you underestimate the true diversity of creeds out there.

I say this with the utmost respect. You know that I value your perspective.

Now, discussion at length is scary, can you make it discussion but shorter?

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Now, discussion at length is scary, can you make it discussion but shorter?

Ow. You are a hard sell. Me like! :)

The TLDR of it is that many of the best examples of religions are not particularly interested in proselitism, nor in arrogantly claiming to know better than both science and other religions, and not necessarily even in having any truths that transcend the specific environments of the practice.

I have a lot of respect for those, and I find them to be of a very different nature indeed from what, perhaps understandably, often comes to mind when my fellow atheists talk about "religion".

The word has many different meanings, and deserves qualification or elaboration in almost every use.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
By the scientific process.

I think you missed an 'i' in clams (underlined). However, if you really meant clams, then my religion says:
Clams: Kingdom - Animalia, Superphylum - Lophotrochozoa, Phylum - Mollusca.

One ought to validate their clams before they eat them. Just my opinion. :facepalm:

halbhh

The wonder and awe of "all things".
That's fine. I've no issue with a person who wants both. Just looking for where the right arm encourages you to make full use of the left.

You mean a religion that respects science? I agree, since science is only and simply the work to try to understand how nature works, and that's just a good thing, so a good religion would respect that.

Even if it was such a populous religion, with such a diverse following, that it had highly diverse attitudes under its big tent.

Even if it had individuals that had come up with a strange new anti-science creed...you'd ideally step back to look past them to the wider history and ways of the religion itself, look to see what the mainstream attitude of most of its followers around the world was historically, and is today globally, and not necessarily weigh too much an ideological anti-science subgroup that seemed a more lately thing. It's sorta like....how one would not gauge America by the recent antics of one political party (especially not if that party itself isn't unified about the lately antics). You'd want instead a bigger view.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
That what I'm looking for. If you know of a religion that does incorporate science.

That's pretty routine in both Unitarian Universalism and contemporary Paganism. Plus there are all the historical examples of how world religions inspired scientific investigations to some degree or another. I mean, sciences are fundamentally a religious impetus out of the gate so that's really no surprise. The core function of religion is to provide narratives that orient people's lives. That fundamental need to know and understand the world around us so we can live our lives is what drives both sciences and religions.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Higher truth, now what is that?
Science understands that very well, that is why macro and micro (check Youtube etc. for videos)
What is physical and what is non-physical? Where is this non-physical realm? Heaven? Hell?
Where is the proof of other universes or dimensions? :)Science is not infalliable. But it improves itself. Gets better and better.
I am sure you know what religions say about different realm of existence, it is this realm I am talking about, I know you not beliving in them but they are still there.
Just because science can not measure them does not mean they do not exist :)

Non-physical means realm where living beings do not have or need a physical body like we humans need.

ChristineM

Premium Member
Ow. You are a hard sell. Me like! :)

The TLDR of it is that many of the best examples of religions are not particularly interested in proselitism, nor in arrogantly claiming to know better than both science and other religions, and not necessarily even in having any truths that transcend the specific environments of the practice.

I have a lot of respect for those, and I find them to be of a very different nature indeed from what, perhaps understandably, often comes to mind when my fellow atheists talk about "religion".

The word has many different meanings, and deserves qualification or elaboration in almost every use.

I agree that there are some good examples of religion but very few compared to what i consider to be bad religion.
And among the bad religions (very many) there are some few good religious people.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
I don't agree that religion and science are opposed. Take an obvious example, the Dalai Lama who said very clearly that if science disproves a Buddhist idea, he'll drop the idea in favor of what science discovers.

There are also many scientific believers. They have no trouble reconciling both. I count myself amongst their number.

So, you agree that you and carrots share a common ancestor?

Ciao

- viole

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I agree that there are some good examples of religion but very few compared to what i consider to be bad religion.
And among the bad religions (very many) there are some few good religious people.
There are indeed.

As for the quantities, I don't think there is much of a point to discussing them without first deciding on some form of method and metrics. But that is probably not crucial right now.

syo

Not attacking a particular religion. Just wondering if there is some formal process of validation to verify what is claimed. An encouragement of cross examination of what is being claimed by a religion.
Christianity talks about irrational things (the dead will arise) and since it's the dominant religion, it destroyed the term 'religion'.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
Use religious means to gain a better understanding of religion and scientific means to gain a better understanding of science.
Well, that is obvious. But shows no connection between the two,

My impression is that religious people are more anxious to be scientifically fit.

Yet, the problem is that science does not return the courtesy. For, who cares what religious people believe when we make research?

And it is exactly this asymmetry, religious people anxious to be compatible with science, scientists not giving a rip, that shows who owns the intellectual supremacy on the civilized part of this planet.

Ciao

- viole

Last edited:

robocop (actually)

Premium Member
Well, that is obvious. But shows no connection between the two,

My impression is that religious people are more anxious to be scientifically fit.

Yet, the problem is that science does not return the courtesy. For, who cares what religious people believe when we make research?

And it is exactly this asymmetry, religious people anxious to be compatible with science, scientists not giving a rip, that shows who owns the intellectual supremacy on the civilized part of this planet.

Ciao

- viole
Have we talked yet about whether they agree? Try asking me a contradiction and I will see if I can bridge the two.