• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Religion Has Nothing to Do With Science

Religion has nothing to do with science.

• True

Votes: 19 43.2%
  • Untrue

Votes: 25 56.8%

• Total voters

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
I 95% agree. For most practical situations I agree that the two are independent.

My point, I suppose, is I don't see where religion "advocates" scientific methodology. I could be wrong, I'm not that familiar with the Koran, so something might come up.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
I would agree with that.

Simply looking at the definition of science:

- the intellectual and practical activity encompassing the systematic study of the structure and behaviour of the physical and natural world through observation and experiment.

Religion doesn't do any of that. Furthermore how often have you heard or read any scientific study stating that they are going to use the "Religious method" to examine the natural world? :)

This is no critic of religion, but these are just not the same things, working in the same field.

Funny, the idea of science using the religious method. :)

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Christianity damaged the word 'religion'. :confused:

Not attacking a particular religion. Just wondering if there is some formal process of validation to verify what is claimed. An encouragement of cross examination of what is being claimed by a religion.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Science is only about the physical world whereas religion teaches higher truth about what life really is.
Science can not even understand that what human eyes are seeing is a false truth about this reality. So in my understanding science only can be applied to the physical realm, not other nonphysical realms, because the physical law in this universe does not work in other universe or dimensions
Higher truth, now what is that?
Science understands that very well, that is why macro and micro (check Youtube etc. for videos)
What is physical and what is non-physical? Where is this non-physical realm? Heaven? Hell?
Where is the proof of other universes or dimensions? :)
it does if you believe science is infallible and absolute, or use science based on majority of percentages.
Science is not infalliable. But it improves itself. Gets better and better.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
I disagree.
There are many aspects of life. All are interconnected, that doesn't mean they have to interfere with one another unnecessarily. Right, please?

Regards

Just looking for where religion has encourage scientific methodology.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
There are many hospitals affiliated with religious organizations. There are schools owned by religious organizations which include science as part of their curriculum. I daresay that most religious bodies are not quite so anti-science as the ones we usually hear about.

People, religious people recognize the importance of science. Just looking for where this is advocated by religious scripture.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Religion doesn’t have anything specifically to do with science but all human concepts will be inexorably linked with each other. Religion has something to do with science but only as much/little as they both do with vegetarianism, interpretative dance or cowboy hats. :cool:

I'm not saying religion is not important to society, may feel that way, but I'm not saying it. :D

Just where religion encourage a formal validation of it's claims. IOW were it says not to take its claims on faith.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
The choices in your poll do not reflect my views.

In short, it depends on the religion. Some ignore science, some embrace science, and a few incorporate it into their philosophies.

That what I'm looking for. If you know of a religion that does incorporate science.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Religion doesn't do any of that. Furthermore how often have you heard or read any scientific study stating that they are going to use the "Religious method" to examine the natural world? :)
I wish that all religions did that, mine does. That is why religion spews out stories of creation in six days, flood, walking on water, raising the dead, visiting heaven on a white beast and meeting the Maid of Heaven.
My point, I suppose, is I don't see where religion "advocates" scientific methodology. I could be wrong, I'm not that familiar with the Koran, so something might come up.
You are also not familiar with 'Advaita' Hinduism.

halbhh

The wonder and awe of "all things".
I'm going to take the position that religion has nothing to do with science.

Do you disagree?
Why?
That's generally true, in the same way that my left arm is fully separate and complete apart from and also independent of my right arm.

Perhaps another good analogy is that my air supply is separate and essentially independent of my food supply. Of course, it's very good to have both.

It's good to have both a right arm and a left arm.

If someone wanted me to choose between having both, I'd politely indicate I like to have both in use, even if good religion is far more invaluable at crucial moments in life.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Depends how you define Religion I guess

I belong to a religious group of Scientists
I believe something when it's proven

By what process does your religion tell you to validate it's claims? You wanting scientific validation for clams, great. What does your religion say about it?

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
That's generally true, in the same way that my left arm is fully separate and complete apart from and also independent of my right arm.

Perhaps another good analogy is that my air supply is separate and essentially independent of my food supply. Of course, it's very good to have both.

It's good to have both a right arm and a left arm.

If someone wanted me to choose between having both, I'd politely indicate I like to have both in use, even if good religion is far more invaluable at crucial moments in life.

That's fine. I've no issue with a person who wants both. Just looking for where the right arm encourages you to make full use of the left.