• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Religion as a system of values

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Defining religion is quite a challenge, one that academics and laypersons alike wrestle with. In a recent essay exploring the art of creating religion, Aidan Kelly makes the following observation:

"In 1963, thinking about how to define religion, I realized that the one characteristic all religions have in common is that they provide a system of values, which we humans must have in order to make important decisions, importance itself being a value. That fact implies that whatever system of values a person may have, it provides the functional equivalent of a religion—whether the person chooses to label it a religion or not."
*source*

What do you think about characterizing religions as systems of value?

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Defining religion is quite a challenge, one that academics and laypersons alike wrestle with. In a recent essay exploring the art of creating religion, Aidan Kelly makes the following observation:

"In 1963, thinking about how to define religion, I realized that the one characteristic all religions have in common is that they provide a system of values, which we humans must have in order to make important decisions, importance itself being a value. That fact implies that whatever system of values a person may have, it provides the functional equivalent of a religion—whether the person chooses to label it a religion or not."
*source*

It is correct imo.

Jabar

“Strive always to excel in virtue and truth.”

*source*

In terms of Islam, it is a way of life. Religion is just a term used as identification. However, Islam is a complete way of life.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
In terms of Islam, it is a way of life. Religion is just a term used as identification. However, Islam is a complete way of life.

Could you unpack what "way of life" means to you? Does it include things like values? What else does it include beyond that?

Pretty much so, but I'd say ideology is a better term. I define ideology as how you explain to yourself the way the world works (or at least certain aspects of the world). Religions usually reenforce aspects of the ideology through the practice of rituals, which differentiates them in some ways from other ideologies which don't necessarily contain this aspect.

That fact implies that whatever system of values a person may have, it provides the functional equivalent of a religion—whether the person chooses to label it a religion or not."

This is pretty accurate. People who reject religions don't always realise that they simply replace religion with a different, but equally subjective, ideology. When people criticise religion in general simply because it is not 'true' (rather than for other reasons), they ignore that they are usually doing pretty much the same thing themselves.

Jabar

Could you unpack what "way of life" means to you? Does it include things like values? What else does it include beyond that?
Sure thing. Yes values are included however overall, Islam is a way of life. A way of life is simply how you lead your life. For example, what is good for you, what is bad for you, what is harmful, what you should eat, what you should not. There are a few does and don'ts. Few things that are compulsory in life, few things that are prohibited and the remaining which are optional. And the Qur'an is the guide, the instruction manual for mankind to show how a life should be led.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member

1)System of values is a little to vague. First and foremost, religion is an organization. The religious organization does provide a system of values for followers. That is not the only thing religion does.

2)Just because I have a system of values, clubs or governments have a system of values we are not religions.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member

*source*

Per this understanding atheistic-humanism is a religion. I don't particularly like the definition myself.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
While values are always part of a religion, I don't see them as being the essential solely determining factor. Indigenous cultures (and I think many non-western cultures) fully integrate practices, organization, values, etc., unlike the west where we have in a sense tried to separate different aspects into different parts of our culture: politics (the culture's decisionmaking) is separated to some degree from other aspects, such as religion and family; implementation of law is separate from judging and punishing wrongdoers, and so on.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon

*source*

I know that, for me personally, the values my religion has instilled in me is a very significant part of the reason it's such a meaningful part of my life.

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
To me this sounds like the colloquial treating something 'like a religion.' Where something someone has a passion for beyond all else is equated to religious fervor. When used unironically, it's going to make the irreligious upset because it sounds like you're deciding for them that they have a religion no mater what they think about it. And if I were to say 'dungeons and dragons is my religion' because my weekly DnD sessions are super important to me, some religious folk will get offended because it sounds like I'm cheapening what religion means to them.

I say the best way to know if someone is in a religion is to ask them. Because even some people with labels generally recognized as religions may not feel that way (e.g., 'It's a relationship' 'it's a lifestyle' 'it's a philosophy.')

arthra

Baha'i
I was interested in finding some broad definition of religion and you are probably aware of the etymology of the word "religion" itself:

"The word religion comes from the word "religare" -- to bind fast, to connect."

Also from the Baha'i Writings religion is further depicted as follows:

"The primary foundation of the faith of God and the religion of God is this, that they should not make diverse sects and various paths the cause and reason of hatred. These principles and laws and firm sure roads appear from one dawning-place and shine from one dayspring, and these diversities were out of regard for the requirements of the time, season, ages, and epochs."

(Abdu'l-Baha, A Traveller's Narrative, p. 42)

also:

"The faith of God and religion of God hath been revealed and manifested from the heaven of the Will of the King of Preexistence only for the union and concord of the dwellers upon earth: make it not a cause of discord and dissension. The principal means and chief instrument for [bringing about] the appearance and irradiance of the luminary of concord is the religion of God and the Law of the Lord; while the growth of the world, the education of the nations, and the peace and comfort of those in all lands are through the divine ordinances and decrees."

(Abdu'l-Baha, A Traveller's Narrative, p. 84)

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member

*source*

Renders the word "religion" so inclusive as to be worthless.

idav

Being
Premium Member
Renders the word "religion" so inclusive as to be worthless.
I think it possibly could be on the mark, the only thing missing is religion most often has an appeal to some sort of authority, whether its a book, a person or institution. While generally a system of values can essentially avoid that fallacy.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
I'd post a drawing if I knew how, but I'll have to explain it this way: Imagine drawing of a bunch of circles (say from 6 to 12 of them), each of representing a major component of a person's life. Each one is labeled. They say things like "career," "education," "religion," "family relationships," "friends," "community service," "hobbies," and "time spent on RF." :D Well, for me, the one labeled "religion" would be missing. Instead, there would be one more, even larger, circle that encompassed the others. And that one would be labeled "religion." To some people, that would probably sound as if my religion controls me. It doesn't, but it influences how I approach every other part of my life. My beliefs and values are always there; to one extent or another, they are reflected in the way I approach life. I can separate "career" from "hobbies," but I can't separate "religion" from any of them. Maybe "religion" isn't the right word to use as, for a lot of people, it refers only to formal worship. To me, it refers to that, but also to standards and values, to who I am, and I like to think I'm essentially the same person whether I'm having lunch with friends or going to church on Sunday.

Jabar

I'd post a drawing if I knew how, but I'll have to explain it this way: Imagine drawing of a bunch of circles (say from 6 to 12 of them), each of representing a major component of a person's life. Each one is labeled. They say things like "career," "education," "religion," "family relationships," "friends," "community service," "hobbies," and "time spent on RF." :D Well, for me, the one labeled "religion" would be missing. Instead, there would be one more, even larger, circle that encompassed the others. And that one would be labeled "religion." To some people, that would probably sound as if my religion controls me. It doesn't, but it influences how I approach every other part of my life. My beliefs and values are always there; to one extent or another, they are reflected in the way I approach life. I can separate "career" from "hobbies," but I can't separate "religion" from any of them. Maybe "religion" isn't the right word to use as, for a lot of people, it refers only to formal worship. To me, it refers to that, but also to standards and values, to who I am, and I like to think I'm essentially the same person whether I'm having lunch with friends or going to church on Sunday.
I know which is why i said religion is just used as identification, it is not the true meaning of what is it actually is. In terms of Islam, it is a complete way of life.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
I am quite fond of the Book of James. Here is the last part of James Chapter 1:

19 My dearly loved brothers, understand this: Everyone must be quick to hear, slow to speak, and slow to anger, 20 for man’s anger does not accomplish God’s righteousness. 21 Therefore, ridding yourselves of all moral filth and evil, humbly receive the implanted word, which is able to save you.

22 But be doers of the word and not hearers only, deceiving yourselves. 23 Because if anyone is a hearer of the word and not a doer, he is like a man looking at his own face in a mirror. 24 For he looks at himself, goes away, and immediately forgets what kind of man he was. 25 But the one who looks intently into the perfect law of freedom and perseveres in it, and is not a forgetful hearer but one who does good works—this person will be blessed in what he does.

26 If anyone thinks he is religious without controlling his tongue, then his religion is useless and he deceives himself. 27 Pure and undefiled religion before our God and Father is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself unstained by the world.

The first part speaks of a personal transformation, where you purify your mind, and keep observing your mind to make sure you are actually transforming, instead of building a false mask or facade. The second part I highlighted in green speaks for itself--skillful compassion is realized once you purify your mind of the poisons that can make us all crazy.

Compare the part in green above with this verse Jesus said in Matt 25:34-40

34 Then the King will say to those on His right, ‘Come, you who are blessed by My Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world.

35 For I was hungry
and you gave Me something to eat;
I was thirsty
and you gave Me something to drink;
I was a stranger and you took Me in;
36 I was naked and you clothed Me;
I was sick and you took care of Me;
I was in prison and you visited Me.’

37 “Then the righteous will answer Him, ‘Lord, when did we see You hungry and feed You, or thirsty and give You something to drink? 38 When did we see You a stranger and take You in, or without clothes and clothe You? 39 When did we see You sick, or in prison, and visit You?’

40 “And the King will answer them, ‘I assure you: Whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of Mine, you did for Me.’​