• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Religion as a system of values

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
So, if this ustated set of values exists, whatever it is, am I now religious? Or do I become magically religious if I state them?

How would you answer that question? As I said, it's up to you to answer it for yourself.

That said, I think I would be careful about how this question is being framed. We are not talking about "religiousness" here our what it means to be "religious," we are talking about "religion." These are not quite the same thing, yes? With respect to how the question is framed now, I would have to answer "not enough information to determine" because I do not know if you hold those values with great dedication and zeal (which would mean one is "religious" about them).

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
What functions do you see religions serving?

As for religions not being organizations, it's rather common... but I also think "organization" is not quite the right word to use as to me, that means something super-duper formal that's got tax-exempt status and legal forms behind it.

Organization is not formal for me and has nothing to do with tax-exemption or even legal forms. It is as the definition says in my previous post.

Religion
1) Set Values
2) Required actions
3) Social organization

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
How would you answer that question? As I said, it's up to you to answer it for yourself.

That said, I think I would be careful about how this question is being framed. We are not talking about "religiousness" here our what it means to be "religious," we are talking about "religion." These are not quite the same thing, yes? With respect to how the question is framed now, I would have to answer "not enough information to determine" because I do not know if you hold those values with great dedication and zeal (which would mean one is "religious" about them).

Well. We use to say that someone is following her set of values or objectives with religious zeal. We all know what it means.

But this is not a definition of religion, unless we accept circular definitions. It is just an observation that the zeal used to pursue ones ideals or goals, is comparable with the zeal used to appease the gods.

When I have a mathematical puzzle, i know it is solvable, I am completely devoted to try to solve it. I will have no peace until I solved it. I will systematically pursue any venue that will lead me to a solution, until I solve it. I don't care if it takes a few minutes or years. I have the explicit and personal goal to solve it. No matter what.

Now, if I go to a cocktail party and claim that I am in fact following a religion by trying to solve that problem, what would be the reaction of the other guests?

Do you think that believers in imaginary entities will welcome me in their club?

Ciao

- viole