• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Relativism - A truly interesting discussion

Are you a relativist

• Yes

• No

• Something else

Results are only viewable after voting.

Heyo

Veteran Member
Okay. So how would you prove "scientific realism" through the scientific method?
I wouldn't. 1. The scientific method is explicitly not capable of proving a theory. 2. Realism is an axiom of science. You can't prove axioms in any system.

What the scientific method can do, is disproving a theory. And in any system an axiom can be found to not be compatible with other axioms, making the system inconsistent.
So far, the axioms of science have survived most experiments and proven useful. There are, however, fields of science where the consistency of the axioms is questioned. It may well be that they don't hold for some special cases. (And if that should be the case, it will be found using the scientific method.)

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
I wouldn't. 1. The scientific method is explicitly not capable of proving a theory. 2. Realism is an axiom of science. You can't prove axioms in any system.

What the scientific method can do, is disproving a theory. And in any system an axiom can be found to not be compatible with other axioms, making the system inconsistent.
So far, the axioms of science have survived most experiments and proven useful. There are, however, fields of science where the consistency of the axioms is questioned. It may well be that they don't hold for some special cases. (And if that should be the case, it will be found using the scientific method.)

Well, yes and no! https://undsci.berkeley.edu/article/0_0_0/whatisscience_12

firedragon

Veteran Member

So what is your source of knowledge for this if not "the scientific method"? It was your claim of epistemology.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Its universal. All cases.

Well, no! Not all cases as reduced to the same sense. For a local time, space and sense, yes!

For e.g. the context of 2 humans there is not always the same one context and thus that is the practical limited.

We are playing same, similar and/or different. :)

firedragon

Veteran Member
Well, no! Not all cases as reduced to the same sense. For a local time, space and sense, yes!

For e.g. the context of 2 humans there is not always the same one context and thus that is the practical limited.

We are playing same, similar and/or different. :)

Can there be 2 humans who together are 1?

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
So what is your source of knowledge for this if not "the scientific method"? It was your claim of epistemology.

Do you get that there is no one correct set of axioms for all of the everyday world?

That is to me the problem of a set of meta set of axioms to decide between 2 different set of axioms. The meta set is also axiomatic. And that leads to an infinite regress of meta-meta and so on. And back to Agrippa's trilemma we are, it would seem.

PureX

Veteran Member
I'm a scientist* and hold to the first axiom of science: the universe is real. (I.e. things in reality exist objectively.)
But once we leave reality pretty much everything else is at best intersubjective and relative (except, maybe, Platonic ideals).

(* not as a profession, but in so far as I hold to the axioms of science and as I think that the scientific method is the best epistemology we have.)
Relativism is the result of our limited perspective within reality, not a lack of objective reality.

exchemist

Veteran Member
Am I a relativist?
Compared to what?!
V+BACKED+BY+A+MILLION+SOLDIERS,+SINGAPORE,+C.+1+DECEMBER+1941.jpg

:D

Heyo

Veteran Member
It is the scientific method. All scientific knowledge about the real world is effectively negative knowledge, i.e. we know what can't be. We don't know if the scientific method is the only one or even the best one, we only know that all other methods that have been proposed are worse.
Note also that science and the scientific method are only valid in the realm of the real. The scientific method itself is not a real thing, it belongs to the philosophy of science so it is not subject to itself.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
It is the scientific method. All scientific knowledge about the real world is effectively negative knowledge, i.e. we know what can't be. We don't know if the scientific method is the only one or even the best one, we only know that all other methods that have been proposed are worse.
Note also that science and the scientific method are only valid in the realm of the real. The scientific method itself is not a real thing, it belongs to the philosophy of science so it is not subject to itself.

That is relative to what we are doing.

PureX

Veteran Member
Do you get that there is no one correct set of axioms for all of the everyday world?

That is to me the problem of a set of meta set of axioms to decide between 2 different set of axioms. The meta set is also axiomatic. And that leads to an infinite regress of meta-meta and so on. And back to Agrippa's trilemma we are, it would seem.
It is what it is.

firedragon

Veteran Member

That was a question of epistemology. Maybe you didnt understand the question.