• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Relativism - A truly interesting discussion

Are you a relativist

• Yes

• No

• Something else

Results are only viewable after voting.

firedragon

Veteran Member
I said Hinduism and Buddhism in my post, thus not just Buddhism. "Maya" in Buddhist teachings is just another form of illusion:

In early Buddhism, maya referred to the deceptive nature of the ego and its perception of the world of appearances and forms, which an unenlightened individual accepts as the only reality. Additionally, maya was seen as a characteristic of samsara (the cycle of suffering and rebirth). In everyday human action, maya involves clinging to the notion of an independent self or soul, as well as the conviction that there exists an eternal absolute creator force in the universe called God.

As Buddhism evolved over the centuries its view of the samsaric world changed, and with it maya. The Mahayana Buddhist view of maya does not mark the world as an utterly meaningless realm of petty illusion. For example, the philosopher Nagarjuna differentiated between two levels of reality: first, paramarthika, the true and ultimate realm, and secondly vyavabarika, or the everyday world in which we persist and must find salvation. The Zen tradition also notes that it is not a form of self-deception to acknowledge the physical world as real; however, the deception occurs when one assumes the physical world to be the only permanent reality. In this tradition, nirvana and the world of maya are simply intellectual distinctions, and actually are one and the same entity. The realization of nirvana is based upon recognition of the impermanent nature of the form world. Through realization of the singular identity of maya and bodhi (or "enlightenment"), one can escape the bondage of the material world.
-- Maya - New World Encyclopedia

1. Tell me. What does "Amaaya", Mayavin, Mayakari mean?
2. Also, there are two words in your cut and paste. In that, What do "Artha" and "vyava" mean? Both from the two words Paramarthika and Vyavabarika.

Thanks.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
1. Tell me. What does "Amaaya", Mayavin, Mayakari mean?
2. Also, there are two words in your cut and paste. In that, What do "Artha" and "vyava" mean? Both from the two words Paramarthika and Vyavabarika.

Thanks.
I don't know why you're asking this, so what's your purpose with the above? I explained why I used "maya" in both Hindu and Buddhist contexts, so I'm getting the strong impression that all you want to do is to argue. Sorry, but I'm too old for head-butting.

firedragon

Veteran Member
I don't know why you're asking this,

So that you understand. If you dont like it its fine.
I explained why I used "maya" in both Hindu and Buddhist

Nah. Not at all. I have given you from the real sources, with sources, from both Mahayana Abhidhamma and pragna paramita with meaning, and definitions of both concepts, the idea of Maya in both, from raga, Moha, and how its conceptualised. Not some cut and paste from any website I can find just to argue.

I asked you "1. Tell me. What does "Amaaya", Mayavin, Mayakari mean?" so that you understand what Maya means but you dont know these terms which are all related to Maya, so you respond "why do you ask" which shows it is you who is just trying to argue for no reason. Rather than doing that you could have just said you dont know and had a nice dialog.

I asked that so that if you dont know what your own cut and paste means maybe we can converse and understand it better.

Ammaya is the opposite of Maaya which means "without deceit". You can address a person and say "she is without deception", which is Amaaya. Mayavin means "In deception or being hypocritical". Mayakari means a deceptive person in the feminine gender address. Its all deception. Artha means truth. Paramartha means the deeper truth or meta truth, vyava means practical or in usage, in our realm.

Anyway, have a great day.