1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Featured Reincarnation

Discussion in 'General Religious Debates' started by Spartan, Jun 2, 2019.

1. Jainarayan

Jainarayan ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +7,347
    Religion:
    Hinduism, Vaishnava
    Yes, they can.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Salvador

Salvador RF's Swedenborgian

Ratings:
    +1,152
    Religion:
    Swedenborgianism

If life from non-life could have come into being from whom everybody naturally descended with neither divine intervention nor eternity, then there'd be no need to add anything else more complex such as an eternal being into the equation of how life came into being.

#22 Salvador, Jun 2, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2019
  3. Kapalika

Kapalika EDM dancing gaygirl mystic
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1,384
    Religion:
    Shaivism & LHP
    This is still based on the same kind of misunderstanding. Reincarnation isn't constant. There are periods where all entities are outside of Samsara when the Universe reverts to a non physical form. When it recreates the physical realm, then beings start to (re)incarnate into physical life forms.

Also, don't just consider life to be DNA/RNA based, we don't know what bizzare life may of lived anywhere in the Universe, given it's billions of years old.

• Like Like x 1
  4. SalixIncendium

SalixIncendium सच्चितानन्द

Ratings:
    +6,919
    Religion:
    Advaitist Hindu
    Your analysis from a Biblical standpoint means nothing to this Hindu, as the Bible is not a recognized canon in my worldview.

I'm not sure what you're considering to be "credible evidence," but given your narrow perspective based on Biblical views, I can understand why any experiential evidence may not be credible to you.

You're welcome to your own personal views, but rest assured, they are not mine, and any analysis based on the Bible will fall on deaf ears. Bring me an analysis based in science and then we can talk.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Salvador

Ratings:
    +1,152
    Religion:
    Swedenborgianism
    If life from non-life could have come into being from whom everybody naturally descended with neither divine intervention nor eternity, then there'd be no need to add anything else more complex such as an eternal being into the equation of how life came into being.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Jainarayan

Jainarayan ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय

Ratings:
    +7,347
    Religion:
    Hinduism, Vaishnava
    Did you not read this: There is no limit to this number, because Brahman is limitless. Brahman is all there is: sarvam khalvidam brahma, "all this [what we see and experience] is Brahman" (Chāndogyopaniṣad 3.14.1).

Brahman has nothing to do with the argument over abiogenesis. Brahman manifests as it will. The laws of the universe are a manifestation. What the laws do after that is subject to human debate.

• Like Like x 1
  7. SalixIncendium

Ratings:
    +6,919
    Religion:
    Advaitist Hindu
    I've often wondered this, but have yet to find scientific evidence. Are there really more living beings on earth now? Or just more humans? Over 5 billion species have gone extinct. Is it not plausible that there may be a static number of 'souls' that just live as different species experiencing different things?

#27 SalixIncendium, Jun 2, 2019
  8. Lyndon

Lyndon "Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +2,950
    Religion:
    Theism+Jesus(pbuh) influenced by....... Taoism and Buddhism
    Hinduism is no more based on science than Abrahamic faiths

9. SalixIncendium

Ratings:
    +6,919
    Religion:
    Advaitist Hindu
    You're not familiar with my flavor of Hinduism, then. :cool:

10. Salvador

Ratings:
    +1,152
    Religion:
    Swedenborgianism
    The point is that if all life could possibly have descended naturally from an earliest common universal ancestor which came into being from non-life having been within the limits of the physical realm of possibilities , , then nothing limitless ( i.e.-Brahman reincanation) is needed to explain how life comes into being.

11. SalixIncendium

Ratings:
    +6,919
    Religion:
    Advaitist Hindu
    Is Brahman really a 'soul' though? The term 'soul' never really sat well with me, and for some reason, referring to Brahman as a 'soul' sorta makes me cringe.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Kapalika

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1,384
    Religion:
    Shaivism & LHP
    Reading this was kind of confusing until I realized you are conflating the jiva with atma but I'll get to that in a moment.

First of all, the simplest answer isn't always the correct one.

Second, reincarnation IS NOT a theory or explanation of how life came to be. Reincarnation deals with the atma not the bodies or jivas.

Why do you think that all life has one common ancestor? There is no reason to think this because if life can come from nonlife once, it likely has done this many seperate times throughout the current Universe.

Also again reincarnation doesn't attempt to, or need to, or even have anything to do with how life arises. It deals with the conciousness that is in that life, not how the living part of it came to be.

13. Salvador

Ratings:
    +1,152
    Religion:
    Swedenborgianism
    Most scientists believe in abiogenesis. Abiogenesis - Wikipedia

14. SalixIncendium

Ratings:
    +6,919
    Religion:
    Advaitist Hindu
    As do I, but I'm not sure how this addresses my point.

15. Spartan

Spartan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +164
    Religion:
    Christian
    Show me ONE (1 - Just ONE) person, place, or event in the Gospels that has been shown to be false. Cite the pertinent scripture(s) and present your argument.

16. Kapalika

Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1,384
    Religion:
    Shaivism & LHP
    I know some Hindus believe in it, but it's not a topic I've really discussed and perhaps I don't know as much about it but I would ask then what scriptural justification there is for it. I would be more correct in saying that it's uncommon, rather than never happens, I suppose.

17. SalixIncendium

Ratings:
    +6,919
    Religion:
    Advaitist Hindu
    Conversely, show me one that has objective evidence to be true. Show me scientific evidence and present your argument.

18. Spartan

Spartan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +164
    Religion:
    Christian
    Most scientists believe the universe had a beginning. An eternal universe would violate the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics. There is entropy going on. If the universe were infinitely old, total entropy would have already occurred by now. Energy conversions would have already ceased and the mean temperature of the universe would be approaching absolute zero (i.e. a dead universe).

#38 Spartan, Jun 2, 2019
  19. Salvador

Ratings:
    +1,152
    Religion:
    Swedenborgianism
    The point being if life came into being from non-life, there would have been only one individual organism initially from which all forms of life naturally descended at some point in our universe. Right?

20. SalixIncendium

Ratings:
    +6,919
    Religion:
    Advaitist Hindu
    Correct, and I see the direction you're taking here, but is there evidence that the number of beings on the planet from all taxonimical kingdoms hasn't plateaued at some point.