• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Reincarnation

Spartan

Abomination is not sin. Is menstruation sin? No, just ritually unclean. You don't understand the context of the situation. Life is so easy for fundies, no thinking required.

Abomination is not sin? In Leviticus God says gay sex is detestable, an abomination. Not good, Thirza. Get a better argument.

What did you do for 20 years in the church? Apparently Bible study wasn't part of it.

Spartan

How long have you been a so-called Christian? No, I understood completely. You keep using your view as the norm, but it's not. There are many views. The black and white thinkers like yourself won't ever see the transformation in the religion. It keeps people stuck at the moral and spiritual level of adolescents.

You sound like one of those liberals who think the U.S. Constitution is a living document that can be interpreted to mean whatever they want it to mean. And that's apparently how you view Biblical morality.

Spartan

You seem to get your enjoyment by threatening people with your silly nonsense.
I am probably more at peace with myself than you are. I was relieved when I lost my faith, it had been a great burden during my childhood.

Yawn...

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
You sound like one of those liberals who think the U.S. Constitution is a living document that can be interpreted to mean whatever they want it to mean. And that's apparently how you view Biblical morality.
Biblical morality is pretty ambiguous, as evidenced by the myriad different interpretations of the numerous Christian and Jewish sects.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
Only in areas where we have changed so much that it needs to apply to current knowledge and standards. And yes, the Bible has to be held up to current knowledge. Why should we read something that hasn't been updated since the first century? We don't do that in any other area, do we ?

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
Abomination is not sin? In Leviticus God says gay sex is detestable, an abomination. Not good, Thirza. Get a better argument.

What did you do for 20 years in the church? Apparently Bible study wasn't part of it.

An abomination is only ritually unclean. Again, is menstruation detestable? Well, you may think so... I study it all the time but this time, I use my brain instead of just regurgitating what Preacher Buford said.

Spartan

Biblical morality is pretty ambiguous, as evidenced by the myriad different interpretations of the numerous Christian and Jewish sects.

Not really. It's pretty much cut and dried from what I can see, considering the Bible as the standard and not the thinking of different sects.

Spartan

And yes, the Bible has to be held up to current knowledge. Why should we read something that hasn't been updated since the first century? We don't do that in any other area, do we ?

So you want to redo history according to your own whims? Wow.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Not really. It's pretty much cut and dried from what I can see, considering the Bible as the standard and not the thinking of different sects.
But the Bible's full of contradictions, bizarre moral situations and injustice. plus the world view of the Old Testament couldn't be more different than that of the Gospels.
If it were cut and dry there'd be a unified church and universal accord.

Last edited:

Spartan

But the Bible's full of contradictions, bizarre moral situations and injustice. plus the world view of the Old Testament couldn't be more different than that of the Gospels.
If it were cut and dry there'd be a unified church and universal accord.

It's a New Covenant in the New Testament, so it's not supposed to be the same as the Old Testament.

As for alleged contradictions, there's a few (copyist errors, etc.), but if you have one (ONE - 1 - just your best ONE) specific one from the Gospels (Matthew, Mark, Luke and John) then cite it and the pertinent scripture(s) and make your case. Then we can see if you have anything worthwhile.

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
thanks for ruining our thread about reincarnation, you are so, so, so far off topic, it isn't funny

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
It's a New Covenant in the New Testament, so it's not supposed to be the same as the Old Testament.

As for alleged contradictions, there's a few (copyist errors, etc.), but if you have one (ONE - 1 - just your best ONE) specific one from the Gospels (Matthew, Mark, Luke and John) then cite it and the pertinent scripture(s) and make your case. Then we can see if you have anything worthwhile.
Why does the Bible still contain the Old Testament, then?

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
You just hate the Bible because it doesn't approve of immoral gay sex and that those who practice the sin will not enter into heaven but be cast into the Lake of Fire (1 Corinthians 6:9-10; Revelation 21:8)..

What is your fascination with gay sex!?

giphy.gif

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
There won't be any unrepentant Sodomites in heaven, JJ. The Bible is clear on that (Luke 13:3; 1 Corinthians 6:9-10; Revelation 21:8) so I'm not the least bit worried about St. Pete.

So... you're a repentant sodomite? :confused:

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
It shows the foundations and history from which Judaism and Christianity originated.
But if it's only a preface why do Christians so often cite its rules, regulations and moral precepts? Why is there such a brouhaha whenever someone posts the ten commandments in a public place?
Have you ever read the Bible?
Yes. The NT and OT are very different outlooks on life.