• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

reflection in a mirror

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
But reality can only be experienced from without. To me, it is incredibly egotistic to think we can determine ultimate understanding by only looking at ourselves. We are only one small part of the larger whole.
We are all interconnected when we see it on a deeper level :) To understand what is "outside" of us we must first understand the inside :) In my understanding

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Funny, I just see my reflected face, my reflected hair, etc. I don't identify the image in the mirror as anything other than a reflected image.

If I want to think about who I am, I don't have to look in the mirror; I can just look within.
When he asked the question "who" do you see in the mirror, that of course to ask the question who do you imagine you are. "The man in the mirror" is a metaphor to represent the "self". Images of the self that we hold in mind, who we "think" we are, who we tell ourselves we are, are created images of the mind. And looking at an image in a mirror represents that self-image created by the mind. "That's me", reasons the mind. But what "me" is, is created by the mind.

Last edited:

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
When he asked the question "who" do you see in the mirror, that of course to ask the question who do you imagine you are. Images of the self that we hold in mind, who we "think" we are, who we tell ourselves we are, are created images of the mind. And looking at an image in a mirror represents that self-image created by the mind. "That's me", goes the mind. But what "me" is, is created by the mind.

I guess you see a lot more in a mirror than I do. I'm not sure I have an 'image of self'. Who I am is determined by what I do and how I feel.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I guess you see a lot more in a mirror than I do. I'm not sure I have an 'image of self'. Who I am is determined by what I do and how I feel.
I don't believe you are being serious here. Everyone has a self-image, and when we look in a mirror, while we clearly know it's not a physical body, we do identify that image as our "self", or who we identify ourselves as. Same as looking at a photo of ourselves. Sure, it's emulsion on paper, but we always recognize it as "me". Do you seriously deny this?

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't believe you are being serious here. Everyone has a self-image, and when we look in a mirror, while we clearly know it's not a physical body, we do identify that image as our "self", or who we identify ourselves as. Same as looking at a photo of ourselves. Sure, it's emulsion on paper, but we always recognize it as "me". Do you seriously deny this?

What I see is a representation of my body. That image has no mind. It has no feelings. It has no thoughts. It is an image of my body that can help me in getting ready for work or to show what I looked like when a picture was taken.

I identify my self by my thoughts, feelings, and passions, not by my outward appearance.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
No, I see some guy about 15 years older than I am. :D
I'm soooooo glad you posted that......

it brought to mind a dream I had decades ago....

I was hanging out in my old neighborhood
the housing projects of a midsized city
late at night

a nearby apartment had the lights out so the glass window worked like a mirror
I saw myself in reflection

I was .....acient

a convertible with the top down passed by slowly.....speed bumps keep it that way
so I jumped unto the trunk lid to hitch a ride

no one noticed
apparently I could not be seen

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
When you look in to a mirror, is it your self you see? or who is the person in the mirror?
Question is related to the post about ego.

I see an image of myself. With left and right inverted.

Puzzle: why not up and down inverted, too?

Ciao

- viole

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
You usually don't stand on your mirrors.

Oh no. That might break it. And since some think that a shared belief has evidence, solely by being shared by many, i play it safe and avoid to break mirrors. Lol.

Ciao

- viole

atanu

Premium Member
As i said i do not know if it can be done, but i am willing to try

That never happens. When one meditates or when one dreams or when one is in dreamless sleep or when one is in waking state, the body remains, if seen by a third person. That is a view of a third person waking state.

But first person view/ experience of these changing states are different. In these states, the form of subject and the environment differ. But again, the awareness that runs through these states is immutable.

Meditation is means to get in touch with that deepest seer consciousness.

Last edited: