• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Questions for Atheists and Agnostics

Audie

Veteran Member
That's not an issue, though. Belief trumps unbelief. Affirming the world trumps denying the world. Someone who believes in a god, any god, is primarily a theist because the world is positive.

Uh, how does a superstition or superstitious approach
to interpreting the world "trump" anything?

"Denying the world" is a religious thing, btw.

Audie

Veteran Member
I'm atheist to the Abrahamic God.

The only reason such a God would want everyone to believe in him would be a giant ego, the search for fame. Attention seeking to the extreme would help in that goal, as would getting others to promote you incessantly. Such a God, (and remember I don't believe in such a God) reminds me of some fame seeker. I suppose people could believe whatever they wanted to, but this version is all delusion. Little kids believe in Superman, in Santa Claus, etc.

Believe? That aint enuf! Praise, "glorify"!

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Only if you aren't concerned about clarity, or accuracy. As there are lots of theists that do not accept the Abrahamic God-concept. By your logic they would be both atheists and theists, which pretty much renders both designations pointless.

Atheists : a person who disbelieves or lacks belief in the existence of God or gods

It is not specific as to which god or gods. Going by the definition christians lack belief in odin hence the are both theist and atheist

Audie

Veteran Member
It is not necessary to define belief in terms of superstition.

Oh? What detail is different?

"Deny the world" is a religious thing,
and it suuure is superstitious to think
that will get ya into paradise.

It is stone age cargo cult superstition.

Last edited:

PureX

Veteran Member
That's not an issue, though. Belief trumps unbelief. Affirming the world trumps denying the world. Someone who believes in a god, any god, is primarily a theist because the world is positive.
None of the is about "belief", it's about accepting a theological proposition, or rejecting one. What one chooses to "believe" at any given moment is theologically tangential. As after all, this is about theology: a branch of philosophy, not religious "belief".

Audie

Veteran Member
None of the is about "belief", it's about accepting a theological proposition, or rejecting one. What one chooses to "believe" at any given moment is theologically tangential. As after all, this is about theology: a branch of philosophy, not religious "belief".
What is the "this" that this is about?

PureX

Veteran Member
Atheists : a person who disbelieves or lacks belief in the existence of God or gods
Atheist: a person that rejects the theological proposition that God/gods exist in a way that effects our experience and understanding of reality. (What one believes or does not believe is not the relevant designating factor.)

PureX

Veteran Member
What is the "this" that this is about?
THEOLOGY. The subject here is the theological proposition that God/gods exist in a way that effects how we humans experience and understand reality. You want to fight about religious belief and "unbelief", but the term THEISM, and the term ATHEISM are not about religious belief or disbelief. They are about accepting or rejecting the theological proposition that effective God/gods exist.

Therefor, to reject one specific religious God-concept does not make one an "atheist". Because one specific God-concept is not the entirety of the theist proposition. It's not even the majority of it. It's only a very small sub-set within the whole of theology. So that rejecting religious belief "X" does not logically equate to (nor justify) rejecting theology as a whole.

Audie

Veteran Member
Atheist: a person that rejects the theological proposition that God/gods exist in a way that effects our experience and understanding of reality. (What one believes or does not believe is not the relevant designating factor.)

Would you need such a fancy definition for an "arhodesianstickballist",
a person who does not believe there is such a game as Rhodesian stickball?

Theism is an unfortunate condition of the mind.

There are normal people, and theists. Look around
the forum. The theists do not seem exactly normal.

Its like you have to have a name for people who
dont have Down's syndromr. "Adownists." "Abipolarists".

"Atoothacheists"

Audie

Veteran Member
THEOLOGY. The subject here is the theological proposition that God/gods exist in a way that effects how we humans experience and understand reality. You want to fight about religious belief and "unbelief", but the term THEISM, and the term ATHEISM are not bout religious belief or disbelief. They are about accepting or rejecting the theological proposition that effective God/gods exist.

Who but you knew the subject?

Well that is like just your opinion, as usual, incl.
your as usual your notions about me that you make up.

That tendency does put you squarely in the theist /
superstition camp, as noted earlier.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Is there any reason to think that God, if God exists, would want 100% of people in the world to believe in Him?

If God wanted everyone to believe in Him, what do you think God would do in order to accomplish that?

Do you think that God can show up on earth? If so, how would God do that?

I don't think a "loving " God would want everyone to believe in them.
If folks wanted to believe, that's fine. If folks didn't want to believe that's fine too.

I don't think a "loving" God would want to be worshiped as a God. I doubt they would want to be worshipped at all.

A loving God would just love with no requirements placed upon those they loved. No worship required, no belief required.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
I don't see any reason, even if a deity exists, that any of these would necessarily be true.

However, if a *good* deity exists, and if the alternative is eternal torture, then the deity would make its existence quite clear to everyone.

Exactly, A God who required belief and or worship would have to enforce it by necessity. Not a very loving attitude.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
It's not about belief, but about a positive world. ("It" being which descriptive word is more appropriate.)

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Is there any reason to think that God, if God exists, would want 100% of people in the world to believe in Him?

If God wanted everyone to believe in Him, what do you think God would do in order to accomplish that?

Belief is a condition of the mind. There are those that understand that the concept of God is beyond the mind's comprehension; that understand such a concept can only be realized through experience and cannot be reconciled in the human mind, but by the (higher) Self or by one's true nature.

Why would an atheist or agnostic think this?

Koldo

Outstanding Member

Are we talking about an omnipotent God here ?
If so, no.

Writing messages in the sky in a language that everyone would be able to understand, for example.

Once again, are we talking about an omnipotent being ?
If so, then anything goes. Do you want a suggestion ? How about a rainbow-colored walking and talking flame ?

David T

Premium Member
I wonder why a god would want anyone -- let alone, everyone -- to believe in it.
To discover that belief, non belief, or agnosticism has, anything to do with it, or nature, or cosmos. Pick a sound cuz they are the same as one..i think they call it evolution.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

I provided the universally accepted definition, yours personal definition is irrelevant.

Shad

Veteran Member

Only if said God express concern, is interventionist, judges and provide guidance for all of humanity.

Actually communicate with individuals rather than representatives centuries removed the present or Billy Graham

Do you think that God can show up on earth?

No as "show up" require characteristics which would make God not God as God would be something detectable.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

That's a reason why I don't think there's even a God to begin with. The very fact that people go out of their way to try to convince other people is very telling.

You don't have the same thing going on for proving the existence of the Sun or the Moon, or a breeze blowing on your skin or the falling rain.

It's noteworthy that a God or Gods, almost always touted as being omnipotent, almighty, magnificent in power and prose, or whatever descriptive term comes to mind, cannot hold up to those simple truths.