• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Questions for Atheists and Agnostics

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Is there any reason to think that God, if God exists, would want 100% of people in the world to believe in Him?

If God wanted everyone to believe in Him, what do you think God would do in order to accomplish that?

Do you think that God can show up on earth? If so, how would God do that?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Hmm.
Is there any reason to think that God, if God exists, would want 100% of people in the world to believe in Him?

Yes. There are many reasons. Each person is different in their need for god. Mainly for reverence, understand life, ones place in the world, ones relationship with it, and/or et cetera.

If God wanted everyone to believe in Him, what do you think God would do in order to accomplish that?

It honestly depends. No believer in an abrahamic god has explained the nature of god to where I would know what/who he is in order to believe in him. But I dont know how god wants everyone to believe in him.

Maybe first defining himself so that we know he is the one and only god humans are "asked" to believe in. Anyone can name characteristics to a mystery.

God doesnt need to be objective or scientific. I do find it useful that humans have, at the core, the same type of experiences. For example, when neurons go crazy, we have seizures. While each person has different types of seizures and illnesses that mirror seizures, we all can pin point the cause which are the nerves and neurons.

If you cant explain god, we see the "symptoms" and interpretations of those symptomns but we dont see the cause or nature of origin. That means the symptoms can be from anything.

God is to vague.

In order for us to believe, he has to be at least understood to have some sense of belief. It has to go beyond feeling. It needs to be distinct if you want humanity to believe. Fortuntately, life doesnt work that way. Each person has their own definition of god.

So it makes it hard to understand who we (everyone) are to believe if we dont know anything about it.

Last edited:

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member

If God exists and created us to know God, it would be reasonable to beleive that we all have within us the capacity to know God.

Peace be with you and all.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
If God exists and created us to know God, it would be reasonable to beleive that we all have within us the capacity to know God.

Peace be with you and all.
I agree that all humans have the capacity to know God, because that is part of my Baha’i beliefs:

“Suffer not yourselves to be wrapt in the dense veils of your selfish desires, inasmuch as I have perfected in every one of you My creation, so that the excellence of My handiwork may be fully revealed unto men. It follows, therefore, that every man hath been, and will continue to be, able of himself to appreciate the Beauty of God, the Glorified. Had he not been endowed with such a capacity, how could he be called to account for his failure?”
Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, p. 143

My question was whether God would want 100% of people to believe in Him, and if so, how would God accomplish that?

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
My question was whether God would want 100% of people to believe in Him, and if so, how would God accomplish that?

My guess would be God does not need us at all, but an all embracing Love would indicate to us, that all are invited to partake.

Thus Love will conquer all and one must seek the given sources of Love. This is Gods way.

As to what Faith each of has chosen, I say let deeds preceed our words.

Peace be with you always.

PureX

Veteran Member

Why are these questions being addressed to atheists and agnostics? Atheists don't believe that any gods exist, and agnostics have decided that they simply lack the necessary information to make such a determination. So by definition, they would both be excluded from being able to answer your questions.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I wonder why a god would want anyone -- let alone, everyone -- to believe in it.
Leaving the temptation to toss out a bunch of jokes based on anthropomorphisms, on a serious note I would say Love desires for all to experience absolute Freedom. Compassion is inherent in the nature of Unconditional Love. Suffering is to deny oneself that. Love would want everyone to be Free from that for their own sakes.

That's not quite the same as wanting others to believe in you out of some misguided drive for self-validation through others. To attribute such to God means this is a projection of human egoic deficiencies as an attribute of God. But, that is how most tend to see God anyway, so why not? That and petty jealousy over dating other gods, and such.

Last edited:

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member

I'm atheist to the Abrahamic God.

The only reason such a God would want everyone to believe in him would be a giant ego, the search for fame. Attention seeking to the extreme would help in that goal, as would getting others to promote you incessantly. Such a God, (and remember I don't believe in such a God) reminds me of some fame seeker. I suppose people could believe whatever they wanted to, but this version is all delusion. Little kids believe in Superman, in Santa Claus, etc.

Last edited:

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

Does an engineer expect any of his work to believe in him? However, the bible seems to indicate god wants many believers or else!!!
How many believers make a god? Terry Pratchett explored this idea often in his Diskworld series of books, the book Small Gods is based on the idea of a gods strength is relative to the number of believers they have.
I am a firm believer (sarcasm) that the goddess Anoya (goddess of things that get stuck in drawers) and the god Bilious (the Oh god of hangovers) should have a far bigger following than is apparent.

Provide incontrovertible evidence for his existence and for the mythology surrounding him. Of course there would be some who argue with evidence but...

God magic?

P.S. if a god ever showed up and proved him/her/it self then faith would end. You don't need faith to believe in fact

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
You are suggesting that God want that there be no atheists and agnostics. I can think of no reason why "God" should deny, or want to deny, any part of itself. It's not rational to deny part of yourself (especially if you are all-knowing, and doubly so if you are all-present).

If God is, then God is believed in. For atheists and agnostics, it is not the case that "God" is.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member

I don't see any reason, even if a deity exists, that any of these would necessarily be true.

However, if a *good* deity exists, and if the alternative is eternal torture, then the deity would make its existence quite clear to everyone.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Theism is not defined by the Abrahamic God-concept, so rejecting the Abrahamic God-concept does not define you as an 'atheist'. I guess it just defines you as a non-believer in the Abrahamic God-concept.
I never said I was an atheist, just to that version. So yes, perhaps you put it better.

PureX

Veteran Member
It doesn't define one as such, but it does exemplify one as such. The definition of "atheist" refers to gods, so the rejection of any god qualifies one as an atheist.
Only if you aren't concerned about clarity, or accuracy. As there are lots of theists that do not accept the Abrahamic God-concept. By your logic they would be both atheists and theists, which pretty much renders both designations pointless.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Only if you aren't concerned about clarity, or accuracy. As there are lots of theists that do not accept the Abrahamic God-concept. By your logic they would be both atheists and theists, which pretty much renders both designations pointless.
That's not an issue, though. Belief trumps unbelief. Affirming the world trumps denying the world. Someone who believes in a god, any god, is primarily a theist because the world is positive.

Audie

Veteran Member
Why are these questions being addressed to atheists and agnostics? Atheists don't believe that any gods exist, and agnostics have decided that they simply lack the necessary information to make such a determination. So by definition, they would both be excluded from being able to answer your questions.

So too should all creationists be excluded from any discussion of
deep time or evolution. They certainly lack the information.

For that matter, the religionists just decide they have
enough "information" to discuss "god" in some meaningful
way.

In that, they are identical in their approach to religion and
science.

They dont actually know anything, so they make things up
to fill the void. Who knows why the compulsion to pretend
to be wise.

Those of us not taken by the cults observe, and wonder.