• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Question about Noah

Just_me_Mike

If we are told, that everyone on earth was destroyed, that would include all the diversity in races.
Noah his wife, and children and their wives, we are in a situation that each of those spouses perhaps made up the ethnic diversity needed for the diversity we have today.

For example, if Noah only went onto the ark with white people, there is no way black people would have been possible.

This scenario of a world wide flood as opposed to a local flood would therefor have to be a miracle.

I thought of this diversity issue last night and thought you all might think it is interesting.

(Yes I already know all the problems with storing bacteria, and all the animals, but thought this was a more simple way to examine the issue of a world wide flood.

ayani

itwillend ~

well Biblically,it's not known what "ethnic" makeup Noah and his wife had, but in order for their three sons and their wives to eventually give rise to the multitudes of races and colors we have now, there would have had to be a good mix of genetic diversity on that ark.

i'd guess (and this is just a guess) that Noah and most people at that time were light-to-medium brown, with some people being lighter, others darker.

it's also possible that the different people groups that branched off from Ham, Shem, and Yafet became more distinct from one another ethically as the generations went on, and as different peoples settles in and migrated to different parts of the world. the geneologies gives for Noah's sons suggests that their descendents became their own distinct people groups living in their own regions. all descended from one another but with their own customs, skills, and eventually languages.

Man of Faith

There were a lot of miracles in the beginning. However we have a wide diversity of animals that came from one pair of animals so I don't see how it could happen with humans also. Look at the many variety of dogs that supposedly came from a wolf kind.

GiantHouseKey

Greetings

So... let me get this right... You either have to not believe in the flood, or believe in evolution?

Which are you?

GhK.

gnostic

The Lost One
Perhaps, the change in skin colours happened during the change in languages, at the Tower of Babel (post-Flood).

Not that I take either scenario to be the case, seriously.

gnostic

The Lost One
DadBurnett said:
As long as we are discussing the imponderables ... in order for Bigfoot to exist, there had to be a pair on the Ark?

No, not 2 arks. Just a single ark....with twin turbo jet engines.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
You have several choices: One is that the story was a literal account. Two is that the story is a symbolic story. Three is that it isn't true at all in any way. Four is that it is true but not totally literal but only partially- making it a legend of some sort.

note- How many people actually believe in Bigfoot, the Loch Ness Monster, Ogopogo, etc?

Autodidact

Intentionally Blank
What? There's no Ogopogo?:sad4:

ogopogo.jpg

Perfect Circle

Just Browsing
If we are told, that everyone on earth was destroyed, that would include all the diversity in races.
Noah his wife, and children and their wives, we are in a situation that each of those spouses perhaps made up the ethnic diversity needed for the diversity we have today.

For example, if Noah only went onto the ark with white people, there is no way black people would have been possible.

This scenario of a world wide flood as opposed to a local flood would therefor have to be a miracle.

I thought of this diversity issue last night and thought you all might think it is interesting.

(Yes I already know all the problems with storing bacteria, and all the animals, but thought this was a more simple way to examine the issue of a world wide flood.

If your worried about a simple way to discuss the issue of the Noah's Ark story, then why not start with the fact that almost every single aspect of it is impossible, hasn't been corroborated by any form of historical evidence, and is obviously an offshoot of an older Mesopotamian legend?

To me, the ethnicity question is akin to asking why horses no longer have a single horn like their unicorn ancestors. It's moot, because there were obviously never unicorns...

RomCat

Here is how God could have caused the flood using
a natural cause:
An ice comet passed thru the earth's outer atmosphere
causing the comet to melt and totally saturating the air
with vaporized water. Ultimately, that fell to earth as
rain.

Perfect Circle

Just Browsing
a natural cause:
rain.

What on earth are you talking about... That doesn't address the first thing in the OP, and actually makes less sense than most half baked explanations of the global flood.

Zephyr

Moved on
a natural cause:
rain.

Where's this water now? I mean, if it was enough to cover the world, it's obviously not going to all fit in the oceans.

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
The majority consensus is that the first 12 chapters of the Bible, which include the story of Noah, are not actually factual and do not actually offer a historic record. Truly, that is pretty much the only rational explanation.

The evidence for a world-wide flood simply are not there. Also, it is known that our flood story was written after the Hebrews were under Babylonian captivity, where there is a very likely chance that they would have been exposed to the Epic of Gilgamesh, and then just copied their flood story.

gnostic

The Lost One
I personally think that the Hebrew/Israelites stole the myth about the Flood from the Babylonians (from the Old Babylonian Atrahasis (18th-17th century) and from hundreds of years evolution of the epic of Gilgamesh), and adapted it to their own myth-making.

The Babylonians obviously got it from the Sumerians originally. The Sumerian version was generally known by modern scholars of today as the Eridu Genesis. And the Eridu Genesis came from centuries of oral tradition dating back to 25 century BCE. And Gilgamesh was a historical king of Uruk of the 28th or 27th century BCE, and became a cult hero around the time of oral tradition of Gilgamesh began to take shape.

The Flood hero was known as Ziusudra in Sumerian, Atrahasis in Old and Middle Babylonian, and Utnapishtim in Middle and New Babylonian.

The Gilgamesh myth is found in fragments as far west as

• a Hittite capital, Hattusa (now Bogazkoy in Turkey),
  • in Ugarit (now Ras Shamara) and Emar (Tell Meskene), both ancient cities in what is now Syria,
  • in Megiddo (Tel Megiddo or Tell al-Mutasallum) in Israel,
  • and tablet fragments were even found as far south-west as Egypt.
That's was how popular the myth of Gilgamesh was. The best version of Gilgamesh (generally known today as the Standard Version) was written in the Neo-Assyrian period, and kept in the royal library of Nineveh, which was the greatest library of that time.

When was Genesis written? Possibly and originally in 13th century BCE, but more likely the story originated in the 10th century BCE.

If we are to believe the Genesis myth that Abraham came out of Mesopotamia and spent a short time in Egypt, then the story of Flood would have been known to him. And Moses who supposedly written the Genesis would have known about the Flood story and Gilgamesh because of the popularity of both myths can be found as far away as Egypt.

Why? Because there are trade links between Mesopotamia and Egypt for centuries. And the trade routes had to cross Canaan, so even the Canaanites and the Ugrartic people had heard of him.

Last edited:

Kimberlee

midians mommy!
well isn't it true and scientific that the continents were all together at one point then broke up? well according to the bible the water did go down some and the ark ended up on a peice of land so maybe that was the start to the first continent that later split into several over time. just a thought oh and it was 2 of every unclean animal and 7 of every clean cause the clean animals were for food also.

darkendless

Guardian of Asgaard
well isn't it true and scientific that the continents were all together at one point then broke up? well according to the bible the water did go down some and the ark ended up on a peice of land so maybe that was the start to the first continent that later split into several over time. just a thought oh and it was 2 of every unclean animal and 7 of every clean cause the clean animals were for food also.

LOL.... the earth broke up about 400,000,000 years ago.

Why do people think continets float around like ice in water? It takes millions of years for a continent to move substantially.

Problem with what you say of the bible: Where did the water go? Evaporation is cyclic, it would have rained a tonne again because water soaked up would form rain clouds and would end up back on the earth.

Did God make it magically disappear?

Kimberlee

midians mommy!
LOL.... the earth broke up about 400,000,000 years ago.

Why do people think continets float around like ice in water? It takes millions of years for a continent to move substantially.

Problem with what you say of the bible: Where did the water go? Evaporation is cyclic, it would have rained a tonne again because water soaked up would form rain clouds and would end up back on the earth.

Did God make it magically disappear?

yeah and you don't know how long ago that was.... ummmm yeah no human is smart enough or can make a machine that's smart enough to know everything.... if science knows when the earth was created and how and how humans come from monkeys and how this earth has been around for millions and billions of years and oh wait we still don't have a cure for cancer.... yeah right! plus i believe we do have the cure for cancer we will just loose a lot of money if it came out and if they will lie about that they will lie about how old the earth is and all that. you think it's crazy to believe in God but look at the crazy ***** humans and science have come up with. i don't know where all the water went. who does. only God would know that. he put it there in the first place he can take it away.

Kimberlee

midians mommy!

yeah i accually dated a guy that believed the white race was the "pure race" because of noah... he used the verse about noah being from a pure line. he thought that africans came from monkeys which is stupid so i ended that real quick. i think that humans just adapted to their enviroment over time and became that way. kinda like someone said before like the animals and how there are many dif types of cats, dogs, and birds now. when back then there might have been just one type from each group. just my thoughts on it.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
yeah and you don't know how long ago that was.... ummmm yeah no human is smart enough or can make a machine that's smart enough to know everything.... if science knows when the earth was created and how and how humans come from monkeys and how this earth has been around for millions and billions of years and oh wait we still don't have a cure for cancer.... yeah right! plus i believe we do have the cure for cancer we will just loose a lot of money if it came out and if they will lie about that they will lie about how old the earth is and all that. you think it's crazy to believe in God but look at the crazy ***** humans and science have come up with. i don't know where all the water went. who does. only God would know that. he put it there in the first place he can take it away.
:facepalm: