• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Psychoanalyzing nonbelievers

retrorich

SUPER NOT-A-MOD
Ceridwen018 said:
I guess we would need to specify what a 'true' atheist is. I don't mean to exlude anyone, but I don't think people who reject belief in a higher power out of spite and anger can be called 'true' atheists. Why not? Well, you can't be angry at something and disbelieve it at the same time. Anger could lead to investigation, which could lead to astheism, but without the investigation step your rejection of god is childish at best.
Just as the ACCEPTANCE of God can be childish. PEACE :)

Master Vigil

"Stones believe in nothing."

Indeed, how wonderous your knowledge is if you know what a stone thinks. A stone cannot be used as a metaphor in this sense. Atheism is still a belief. A belief that there is no god. Lack of belief in god, and belief in no god are logically equivalent statements. They believe that all theistic proofs are false. They believe in science over myth. They do believe, much unlike a stone don't you think?

Jensa said:
95% of the world believes in God?
No, 5% of Americans describe themselves as atheist (I think). Worldwide, I think atheism/agnosticism is somewhere just under 20%, which makes it the third largest group next to Christians and Muslims.

Lightkeeper

I don't think there is one simple answer to this. One thing I have noticed is the mindset of many atheists. Some of them don't want to explore their inner world and are also afraid of seeking counseling. Some of them don't really think for themselves, they have to be a follower, and they have chosen science over religion. Some of them had no religion in their background. Some of them don't look beyond the scriptures. Some of them just want the freedom to believe whatever they want to believe. The bottom line is I don't think they are that much different from a believer. Some of us seek and question more than others, whether we are a believer or nonbeliever. I personally have felt no pressure to believe or not to believe. We don't live in a world of believers and nonbelievers, there are many different levels and variations of belief.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
everyone is unique and to say that any one reason will explain something as complex as belief or disbelief in god is folly. I'm shure Athiest have just as complex reasons for not believing as thiests do for believing. Unless somehow humans became much more predictable than I thought.

wa:do

retrorich

SUPER NOT-A-MOD
retrorich: "Just as the ACCEPTANCE of God can be childish."

jewscout said:
So that makes 95% of the world's populations childish?
Matthew 18: 2,3

And Jesus called a little child unto him, and set him in the midst of them.

And said, Verily I say unto you, except ye be converted, and BECOME AS LITTLE CHILDREN, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I believe Reality is a product of consciousness. Reality is different in different states of consciousness. It is perfectly possible for a conscious being to populate his reality with a God or two.
They are subjective creations, of course. No more or less real than anything else the soul dreams into being.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Atheism doesn't define what someone is. Atheism is not a thing, it is an un-thing. It is not a philosophical position, it is a lack of position. You can't say "an athiest is like this," or "an atheist believes this." Atheism is a lack of belief. Rocks, haddock and aardvarks are athiest.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Their spiritual views are outside of their atheism. Both a Buddhist and a Jesuit can disbelieve in Mother Goose, but their a-MotherGoosism has nothing to do with their disparate philosophies.

jewscout

Religious Zionist
retrorich said:
retrorich: "Just as the ACCEPTANCE of God can be childish."

Matthew 18: 2,3

And Jesus called a little child unto him, and set him in the midst of them.

And said, Verily I say unto you, except ye be converted, and BECOME AS LITTLE CHILDREN, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven.
Ok your quoting me gospel scripture?:sarcastic

is there anything wrong w/ this picture?

retrorich

SUPER NOT-A-MOD
jewscout said:
Ok your quoting me gospel scripture?:sarcastic

is there anything wrong w/ this picture?
I don't know. Is there? As a child, I was forced to attend a Christian church, so I know a little bit about the Bible. The verses I quoted seem be be an appropriate reply to your post.

jewscout

Religious Zionist
retrorich said:
I don't know. Is there? As a child, I was forced to attend a Christian church, so I know a little bit about the Bible.
I think the passage you gave is one of the reasons i'm NOT a christian. For me my faith has to stimulate my mind as well as my soul. Judaism does that for me. It is as much a religion of the mind as it is of the heart and soul. Rabbis and Torah scholars can spend a lifetime studying one verse in one chapter of one book of the Torah and not come to an agreed upon conclusion.
It's like going to a confrence of Historians:D No one can agree on anything.:woohoo:

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
JS...

Have you ever "wronged" a child? Forgiveness is immediate and complete! Have you ever seen a child's eye when they encounter the slightest "wonder". They take nothing for granted. Have you ever seen a child's love? Nothing can be as encompassing.

No, unless you become as a child, you will not see the Kingdom of heaven. It's a GREAT scripture.

retrorich

SUPER NOT-A-MOD
jewscout said:
I think the passage you gave is one of the reasons i'm NOT a christian. For me my faith has to stimulate my mind as well as my soul. Judaism does that for me. It is as much a religion of the mind as it is of the heart and soul. Rabbis and Torah scholars can spend a lifetime studying one verse in one chapter of one book of the Torah and not come to an agreed upon conclusion.
It's like going to a confrence of Historians:D No one can agree on anything.:woohoo:
I don't know much about Judaism. Many years ago, I dated a Jewish girl. I was a guest at her family's Passover dinner (even wore a yamulka). I considered that a great privilege. :)

jewscout

Religious Zionist
NetDoc said:
JS...

Have you ever "wronged" a child? Forgiveness is immediate and complete! Have you ever seen a child's eye when they encounter the slightest "wonder". They take nothing for granted. Have you ever seen a child's love? Nothing can be as encompassing.

No, unless you become as a child, you will not see the Kingdom of heaven. It's a GREAT scripture.
While i have no doubt to many it's a moving scripture, i fail to see how it pertains to me. Even if i wasn't doing the whole Jewish thing i still would feel the same way.