• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Psychoanalyzing nonbelievers

Why do you think atheists don't believe? Why is it that in the United States only about 5% of the population describes itself as atheist?

Is it because they secretly do believe in God, but they're mad at Him for some reason, and therefore feel that they can get back at Him by rejecting His existence?
Is it because they lead abnormally happy lives, and feel they don't 'need' God? Conversely, is it because they lead abnormally unhappy lives, and reject God out of pure cynicism and disillusionment?
Or is it because they have come to the conclusion for other reasons?

Think about all the things you don't believe in. (The Greek gods? Hinduism? The Bible? The Koran?) Why don't you believe in those things? (Can you ever prove that the Greek gods don't exist?)

Quoth The Raven

Half Arsed Muse
don't think you can prove that anyone's gods didn't exist. Personally I think that if people believed in them then of course they existed. Do they still exist? Why not...do gods fade away due to lack of belief, or are they just rattling around on top of Mount Olympus playing Scrabble and picking **** out of 'Troy'?

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
What's odd is that only 5% of Americans identify themselves as atheist.

There is strong social pressure to believe, despite the demonstrable fact that there is no more empirical evidence for the existance of God than for the existance of Mother Goose.

(runs and hides....)

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
Mr_Spinkles said:
Why do you think atheists don't believe? Why is it that in the United States only about 5% of the population describes itself as atheist?
I think because for most people its easier to believe what your culture has taught you than to question it. Our culture says there is a god, it doesn't matter what religion you attach to that god, but you have to believe in a divine creator. I'd say most people, if not pressed to join religious institutions, would just go along with that, because it's what our culture predominately believes.

jewscout

Religious Zionist
Mr_Spinkles said:

Is it because they secretly do believe in God, but they're mad at Him for some reason, and therefore feel that they can get back at Him by rejecting His existence?
Is it because they lead abnormally happy lives, and feel they don't 'need' God? Conversely, is it because they lead abnormally unhappy lives, and reject God out of pure cynicism and disillusionment?
Or is it because they have come to the conclusion for other reasons?

Think about all the things you don't believe in. (The Greek gods? Hinduism? The Bible? The Koran?) Why don't you believe in those things? (Can you ever prove that the Greek gods don't exist?)
While i have no doubt that many atheists don't believe because of conclusions they've come to observing the world around them many i have met are atheists because something bad happened to them in their lives. They became so angry at G-d that they were just like, ya know what G-d **** you!

jewscout

Religious Zionist
retrorich said:
Actually,I don't think you need a reason or proof to DISBELIEVE. You need a reason or proof to BELIEVE.
well even if you choose not to believe in the Divine you are choosing a belief in something, atheism, which means, by your logic, they do need that proof. But what they see in the world around them that leads them to believe there is no G-d can be interpreted by a believer to prove that there is one. It's just a matter of what pair of glasses you are wearing.

Fluffy

A fool
Perhaps its for the same reason as a lot of believers, they were simply born to a couple who were themselves either atheist or never stressed their beliefs. This would be true in my case at least I think.

jewscout

Religious Zionist
Fluffy said:
Perhaps its for the same reason as a lot of believers, they were simply born to a couple who were themselves either atheist or never stressed their beliefs. This would be true in my case at least I think.
Good point Fluffy! frubals for you.

jewscout said:
While i have no doubt that many atheists don't believe because of conclusions they've come to observing the world around them many i have met are atheists because something bad happened to them in their lives. They became so angry at G-d that they were just like, ya know what G-d **** you!
How very sad.

retrorich

SUPER NOT-A-MOD
jewscout said:
well even if you choose not to believe in the Divine you are choosing a belief in something, atheism, which means, by your logic, they do need that proof. But what they see in the world around them that leads them to believe there is no G-d can be interpreted by a believer to prove that there is one. It's just a matter of what pair of glasses you are wearing.
Retrorich looks for his Logic for Dummies book. :confused:

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
"well even if you choose not to believe in the divine you are choosing a belief in something."

This is a logical error.

Lack of belief, as in atheism, is not a belief in something. It is lack of belief. Disbelief in pink unicorns, mother goose and God are null sets.

A stone holds these positions. Stones are atheist. Stones believe in nothing. Don't ascribe a philosophical position to them.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Athiests believe in mortgage payments, silverware, cars, coronary artery bypass surgery, assisting refugees from Darfur.

Pah

Uber all member
jewscout said:
What do atheists place their belief in? Or do atheists believe in nothing?
I beleive in the greatness of humanity and it's depths of evil. I put my trust in the US Constitution.

Bob

Ceridwen018

I guess we would need to specify what a 'true' atheist is. I don't mean to exlude anyone, but I don't think people who reject belief in a higher power out of spite and anger can be called 'true' atheists. Why not? Well, you can't be angry at something and disbelieve it at the same time. Anger could lead to investigation, which could lead to astheism, but without the investigation step your rejection of god is childish at best.

jewscout

Religious Zionist
Ceridwen018 said:
I guess we would need to specify what a 'true' atheist is. I don't mean to exlude anyone, but I don't think people who reject belief in a higher power out of spite and anger can be called 'true' atheists. Why not? Well, you can't be angry at something and disbelieve it at the same time. Anger could lead to investigation, which could lead to astheism, but without the investigation step your rejection of god is childish at best.
I agree Ceridwen:jiggy: