• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Psychoanalyzing nonbelievers

jewscout

Religious Zionist
retrorich said:
I don't know much about Judaism. Many years ago, I dated a Jewish girl. I was a guest at her family's Passover dinner (even wore a yamulka). I considered that a great privilege. :)
Well that's cool! I take it you enjoyed the experience?:woohoo:

The Voice of Reason

Doctor of Thinkology
retrorich said:
I just thought it was a great honor for a gentile to be invited.
Many are called - few are chosen. Not often that an inhabitant of Jesusland that doesn't believe in God gets invited to a home that follows Judaism. You have to love the irony in all of that. :)

TVOR

retrorich

SUPER NOT-A-MOD
The Voice of Reason said:
Many are called - few are chosen. Not often that an inhabitant of Jesusland that doesn't believe in God gets invited to a home that follows Judaism. You have to love the irony in all of that. :)

TVOR
Yes. Of course it wasn't Jesusland then.

Seyorni said:
Atheism doesn't define what someone is. Atheism is not a thing, it is an un-thing. It is not a philosophical position, it is a lack of position. You can't say "an athiest is like this," or "an atheist believes this." Atheism is a lack of belief. Rocks, haddock and aardvarks are athiest.
Hmm....I would say I don't believe in god or Mother Goose...however, my position doesn't quite stop with an absence of belief in them: I believe something about God and Mother Goose. I feel there is strong evidence that both God and Mother Goose are mythical creations of societies and individuals which manifest themselves purely within the human psyche.

Reactions: Pah

Master Vigil

"Atheism doesn't define what someone is. Atheism is not a thing, it is an un-thing. It is not a philosophical position, it is a lack of position. You can't say "an athiest is like this," or "an atheist believes this." Atheism is a lack of belief. Rocks, haddock and aardvarks are athiest."

Athiesm does not define a person, yes. A person defines what athiesm is. It is not an un-thing any more than you are an un-thing. A lack of position is a neutral position. They have a position, it is a position that is against theism. I can most definitely say an athiest believes there is no god. How can you not? And again, you are not a rock, haddok, or an aardvark. How do you know what they believe?

Quoth The Raven

Half Arsed Muse
Seyorni said:
Atheism doesn't define what someone is. Atheism is not a thing, it is an un-thing. It is not a philosophical position, it is a lack of position. You can't say "an athiest is like this," or "an atheist believes this." Atheism is a lack of belief. Rocks, haddock and aardvarks are athiest.
How do you know rocks, haddock and aardvarks have a lack of belief in a god or gods of their own choosing? I'm not even sure what my children believe in some days, and I converse with them on a almost continual basis. I would never suppose that I knew the beliefs - or lack thereof - of creatures who's language I don't even speak.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
OK guys. No, I can't definitively say what rocks, haddock or aardvarks believe (though I do have some theories about aardvarks), but you get my gist. You start with a blank slate, a "neutral position" as the good Master puts it, and populate it with personages as evidence for their existance arises.You probably don't believe in Dionysus or Thor. You are a-thorites. This doesn't mean that you've actively rejected Thor, He just hasn't been added to the buddy-list on your slate.

Athiests haven't crossed God off their slates -- He was never on there to begin with.

Pah

Uber all member
Seyorni said:
...Athiests haven't crossed God off their slates -- He was never on there to begin with.
Sorry to burst your bubble but I'm one who did the whipping and did so with the understanding of how God got writ on the slate to begin with.

Bob

The state and states anywhere in the realm of worldy religions were possibly a Godless western act. Did the Ottoman empire wish that its peoples earn the understanding for God in unanimity for how communication and conflicts to be resolved needed community (all these terms exist in Hegel) for generated peoples to exist by? WE each and everyone of us have a soul and there is a God directing the course of mankind. Possibly, the idea of a state is a SIN of western civilization trying to inter-rule the convenience of particular regions for the suddenly achieved wealth with classes to generate for the WORK. But the question remains why do peoples marrying each other submit to the Godless rule of the state? Marraige could be a sin like anything else which power userps. Nomads can marry. Stranded couples can marry on a ship, by the captain.
Let us think of theocracy like a stranded ship with the fools pushing and shoving to rule.

Scott1

Mr_Spinkles said:
Why do you think atheists don't believe?
For the same reason that others do: it's a personal choice made (hopefully) as a result of careful study.

I do believe that there are some people who become atheists because of being "angry" at God because of some personal trauma or unanswered prayer...whatever.....

.... but there are just as many theists who come to faith without knowing why they believe.... look at how many "Christians" claim to live their lives by the Bible, but can't explain how it came to be.:eek:

It's a personal choice.... for or against.

Peace,
Scott

retrorich

SUPER NOT-A-MOD
Seyorni said:
Athiests haven't crossed God off their slates -- He was never on there to begin with.
That is not true in my case. As a young boy, I was told in church and by my mother that god existed, and I believed it. When I was old enough to think for myself, I rejected the concept of God. In your words, I crossed God off my slate.

Circle_One

Seyorni said:
I think that in untrue in a lot of cases. In my opinion, doesn't one first have to know of something in order to reject their belief in it?

Ok...I found out in the Bible, there was really naughty scriptures, it was really interesting.I found out about the morally perverted rape laws,some unjust wars,some bad science,murders for really trival things,leaving daughters to be raped, a flood of really innocent people,threats of hell,contradictions, yada. I think all good parts of Bible if condensed, would be a Buddhism bible.While all bad parts of Bible wouldn't be out of place in Mein Kampf....The only Christians I'm against is, the ones who follow the bad stuff to a T. But I have nothing against the Christian who LOVE good. But if you want my opinion about Bible, it's that I think Bible can be a bit barbaic. My message to the Christians, read these bad parts and NEVER practise it but rewrite it....it's time!