• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Protests in Dallas after Amber Guyger sentence

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
It brings Justice. Justice for God and the family.
"The one who kills a man, should be killed too."
This is what is written in the heavenly laws of God.
She could saved herself from the punishment of men, but she will not save herself from God.
"These six towns will be a place of refuge for Israelites and for foreigners residing among them, so that anyone who has killed another accidentally can flee there."
Numb 35:15

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Agree. I think it was fair. It wasn't murder and not planned. And that a police officer actually got jail time is in itself huge.
Being planned isn't inherent or necessary a murder charge. When it was planned, it becomes premeditated.
She could saved herself from the punishment of men, but she will not save herself from God.
Proving you are equally eager and willing to kill is not justice, and it doesn't work as a detterent.

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
I can't believe there are people who believe her.
That was clearly a racist act.
Firstly, the woman claims the door was open, witnesses say they heard loud knocking, that's her first lie.
Secondly, even if she was really wrong about the door, one don't shoot an unarmed man.
Well, I'm not sure if killing a random person of a different race in their apartment is a smart way of doing it. I think it all points to an accident, even though I think it's a very horrible accident. And I think she most definitely overreacted, probably because of race, but I doubt it was planned.

calm

"These six towns will be a place of refuge for Israelites and for foreigners residing among them, so that anyone who has killed another accidentally can flee there."
Numb 35:15
It was not an unintentional act, please inform yourself about the facts before saying such things.

And Please consider the whole context.

These six cities shall be for refuge for the people of Israel, and for the stranger and for the sojourner among them, that anyone who kills any person without intent may flee there.
16 “But if he struck him down with an iron object, so that he died, he is a murderer. The murderer shall be put to death.
17 And if he struck him down with a stone tool that could cause death, and he died, he is a murderer. The murderer shall be put to death.
18 Or if he struck him down with a wooden tool that could cause death, and he died, he is a murderer. The murderer shall be put to death.
19 The avenger of blood shall himself put the murderer to death; when he meets him, he shall put him to death.
20 And if he pushed him out of hatred or hurled something at him, lying in wait, so that he died,
21 or in enmity struck him down with his hand, so that he died, then he who struck the blow shall be put to death. He is a murderer. The avenger of blood shall put the murderer to death when he meets him.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
Sounds like you are making it racist. She entered his apartment at night and shot him without cause.. Color doesn't matter.
You misunderstood my point apparently.

My point was about how the media focused more attention on the case because of the race angle and all this race angle emotion serves to unnecessarily ratchet up the sense of racial tension in the nation. And it is being done to score up the media's ratings.

sooda

Veteran Member
You misunderstood my point apparently.

My point was about how the media focused more attention on the case because of the race angle and all this race angle emotion serves to unnecessarily ratchet up the sense of racial tension in the nation. And it is being done to score up the media's ratings.

I don't care what color either of them are.. Basically we had a lousy police officer carrying out a home invasion and killing the homeowner.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
My impression: I think there's a feeling that cops get convicted so seldom when they've killed someone wrongfully that for the justice system to provide an effective deterrent, very severe sentences are needed in the few cases where they are convicted.
I suspect deterrence is overrated. People don't stop to do risk-benefit analyses before committing crimes. Most crimes are impulsive. The death penalty, I hear, does not decrease murder rates.
By your usage of the word, "justice" seems to mean vengeance. Vengeance could be substituted with no change in meaning, so "justice" is just a euphemism.

You have a very simplistic, black and white, divine command take on morality. Rules have no purpose, no utility, no social function, they just are, and must be obeyed.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I don't care what color either of them are.. Basically we had a lousy police officer carrying out a home invasion and killing the homeowner.
Home invasion? Aren't most home invasions intentional? Where was the mens rea?

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
My impression: I think there's a feeling that cops get convicted so seldom when they've killed someone wrongfully that for the justice system to provide an effective deterrent, very severe sentences are needed in the few cases where they are convicted.
Different justice for different classes? Didn't that foment a major revolution back in 1789?

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
and by the way..…...the term 'carrying out a home invasion' implies an intentional effort which we don't have here.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I can't believe there are people who believe her.
That was clearly a racist act.
Firstly, the woman claims the door was open, witnesses say they heard loud knocking, that's her first lie.
Secondly, even if she was really wrong about the door, one don't shoot an unarmed man.
So where's the racism? If she believed she was confronting an intruder in her apartment, as she claimed, and that he was advancing on her, I can see her police training kicking in and deadly force being used. Did she have time to consider the intruders race in her assessment of the situation? I'm skeptical.
Don't get me wrong. I'm a critic of American police culture and training, but it is what it is, and this is what it produces.

sooda

Veteran Member
So where's the racism? If she believed she was confronting an intruder in her apartment, as she claimed, and that he was advancing on her, I can see her police training kicking in and deadly force being used. Did she have time to consider the intruders race in her assessment of the situation? I'm skeptical.
Don't get me wrong. I'm a critic of American police culture and training, but it is what it is, and this is what it produces.

Do you suppose she entered "her" apartment with her gun drawn?

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
So she heard someone inside BEFORE she opened the door? Like watching TV and eating ice cream?
I haven't been following the details, but I thought she found the door unlocked/ajar.
If I came home and found my door ajar, and called the police to check, I'm sure they'd make entrance with guns drawn, as standard operating procedure.
At what point did she draw her gun, anyway? Was that established?