• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Protests in Dallas after Amber Guyger sentence

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Protests and prayers Wednesday night in the wake of Amber Guyger sentence

DALLAS — Hours after a jury handed down a verdict of 10 years in prison to Amber Guyger for murdering Botham Jean, two very different reactions took place in Dallas.

While one group came together to protest downtown, Jean's family joined with community members in prayer at a local church.

Activists and protesters gathered around 6:30 p.m. at the Frank Crowley Courts building where Guyger was sentenced, ready to protest the sentence in a "movement for justice."

“I feel like we have a dog bite with the murder conviction, but the dog has no teeth," Dr. Frederick Haynes said of Guyger's 10-year sentence.

“If we can’t get justice, there won’t be no Texas OU game, there won’t be a State Fair, I’ll shut the whole thing down,” activist Domonique Alexander told the crowd.

She was sentenced to 10 years in prison, but the protesters believe that wasn't enough.

The brother of the victim said in court that he forgave Guyger and hugged her in the courtroom.

Brandt told Guyger he forgave her, and he believed God would as well.

"If you truly are sorry, I know I can speak for myself, I forgive you. I know if you go to God and ask him, he will forgive you," he said.

He then asked for permission to hug Guyger, a request that was granted by Judge Tammy Kemp before Kemp herself gave Guyger a hug and her own Bible to read in prison.

Even the judge was crying. It was a sad case, to be sure, but is 10 years a strong enough punishment to fit the crime? If she wasn't a police officer, would the case have been handled any differently?

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
10 years seems appropriate enuf.
She didn't plan to kill anyone.
And the sentence does send a message to cops....do not kill as a first resort.

It's hard to say, although I can see where the protesters are coming from on this.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
It's hard to say, although I can see where the protesters are coming from on this.
It is indeed hard to say what the sentence should be.
But for a non-premeditated killing which resulted from an accident &
bad judgement under stress, it seems in the realm of "reasonable".
Angry people would be expected to want harsher punishment.
Her sympathizers would want less. I'd expect that there's a
legal framework already in place to determine sentence length.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
She is just some privileged racist white girl. She deserved at least life in prison but I think she deserves the death penalty like any other murderer. Maybe some sisters in prison will deal some justice of their own.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Are the protestors coming from vindictiveness, or have they analyzed the situation and believe a longer sentence would be beneficial in some way; that what the sentence was meant to accomplish would be difficult to effect in the short time allotted?

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
She is just some privileged racist white girl. She deserved at least life in prison but I think she deserves the death penalty like any other murderer. Maybe some sisters in prison will deal some justice of their own.
What would life or the death penalty accomplish -- besides increasing my taxes?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Great idea!
Let's encourage race based violence in a "justice"
system which allows inmate upon inmate assault.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Are the protestors coming from vindictiveness, or have they analyzed the situation and believe a longer sentence would be beneficial in some way; that what the sentence was meant to accomplish would be difficult to effect in the short time allotted?
My impression: I think there's a feeling that cops get convicted so seldom when they've killed someone wrongfully that for the justice system to provide an effective deterrent, very severe sentences are needed in the few cases where they are convicted.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Give her her just desserts. She is a very callous, reckless person and a number of texts have been released showing that she is a racist with a problem with black people. She also did not do enough to try to save his life after shooting him, even though she was a police officer still in uniform who would know CPR and have first aid supplies. This shows how little she valued his life.

calm

It brings Justice. Justice for God and the family.
"The one who kills a man, should be killed too."
This is what is written in the heavenly laws of God.
She could saved herself from the punishment of men, but she will not save herself from God.

sooda

Veteran Member
Protests and prayers Wednesday night in the wake of Amber Guyger sentence

She was sentenced to 10 years in prison, but the protesters believe that wasn't enough.

The brother of the victim said in court that he forgave Guyger and hugged her in the courtroom.

Even the judge was crying. It was a sad case, to be sure, but is 10 years a strong enough punishment to fit the crime? If she wasn't a police officer, would the case have been handled any differently?

She's lucky.. She's be out in less than 5. She probably should have pled guilty and thrown herself on the mercy of the court.

Stupid woman tried to justify her deadly error.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
It is a tragedy for those involved but would this case have gone viral without the race angle for the media to make sure we are aware of? If she was black too (or the victim white) would we non-locals have even heard of this case? I don't think so.

I'm just venting about how the media loves the attention it gets with the race card. They have actually fostered an increased sense of racial tension in the nation for the sake of their ratings.

sooda

Veteran Member
It is a tragedy for those involved but would this case have gone viral without the race angle for the media to make sure we are aware of? If she was black too (or the victim white) would we non-locals have even heard of this case? I don't think so.

I'm just venting about how the media loves the attention it gets with the race card. They have actually fostered an increased sense of racial tension in the nation for the sake of their ratings.

Sounds like you are making it racist. She entered his apartment at night and shot him without cause.. Color doesn't matter.

calm

Agree. I think it was fair. It wasn't murder and not planned. And that a police officer actually got jail time is in itself huge.
I can't believe there are people who believe her.
That was clearly a racist act.
Firstly, the woman claims the door was open, witnesses say they heard loud knocking, that's her first lie.
Secondly, even if she was really wrong about the door, one don't shoot an unarmed man.