• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Protests in Dallas after Amber Guyger sentence

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
Well there is a racial component in the justice system, that has been proven by research this is nothing new. Maybe to you, but to the rest of the country it's not.
You missed my point too. My point was the media ratchets up a case when they have a race angle to play.

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
Apparently the jury found that she wasn't in danger.

Anyway, being a cop isn't even in the top 10 most
dangerous professions in Ameristan. So there
could be a false perception of the threat that we,
the masses, pose.
Yes, agree.

I think cops are scared. They live in fear and run on high adrenaline, so they're not making rational choice, but react from this fear in the field, almost like soldiers in war.

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
My point was the media ratchets up a case when they have a race angle to play.

Well that is a given. Its news. They want to bring in ratings I don't think there is some other intent other than making people watch their channels. The United States has a problem with race. So if I can capitalize that I will. I don't have no ethical obligation to the people. My intent is to draw in the racist and the afflicted alike. However there is a difference in reporting the news and giving an opinion. The facts were there, the media has so little to sway the public on race in this case.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
Well that is a given. Its news. They want to bring in ratings I don't think there is some other intent other than making people watch their channels. The United States has a problem with race. So if I can capitalize that I will. I don't have no ethical obligation to the people. My intent is to draw in the racist and the afflicted alike. However there is a difference in reporting the news and giving an opinion. The facts were there, the media has so little to sway the public on race in this case.
My point was non-locals would never have heard of this case if the officer wasn’t white and the victim black. Such over-coverage gives a distorted view of the big picture in this nation to many people.

Audie

Veteran Member
Of course. That's how you protest against injustice(!) It's like the riots in Los Angeles years ago. The only ones suffering from these riots are the people rioting. The stores destroyed. Streets, peace, sanctity of their homes, all of it ruined for years.

In Compton they even shot at fire trucks and ambulances. Good thinking right there.

It is easy to produce skunk smell in industrial quantities.

I bet it is great as an area-denial thing, and to identify
those who were there! And nobody would let you n the house if you went home.

Audie

Veteran Member
My point was non-locals would never have heard of this case if the officer wasn’t white and the victim black. Such over-coverage gives a distorted view of the big picture in this nation to many people.

You are of course just making that up,or at best
giving an opinion as fact.

Speaking of distorted pictures

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Are the protestors coming from vindictiveness, or have they analyzed the situation and believe a longer sentence would be beneficial in some way; that what the sentence was meant to accomplish would be difficult to effect in the short time allotted?

A longer sentence might have had a greater deterrent effect.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
It is indeed hard to say what the sentence should be.
But for a non-premeditated killing which resulted from an accident &
bad judgement under stress, it seems in the realm of "reasonable".
Angry people would be expected to want harsher punishment.
Her sympathizers would want less. I'd expect that there's a
legal framework already in place to determine sentence length.

I read about another case where a woman was sentenced to 13 years for a fatal DUI crash in California. Then there are those who have been sentenced to life without parole for having a bag of weed. These sentences can be so wildly inconsistent.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Of course thems as want her to get 99 years are not being racist
And they also ignore the possibility of female privilege.
How could such a short & sweet gal be guilty of murder, eh.
But hey, when one's lens allows only race to be viewed...

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I read about another case where a woman was sentenced to 13 years for a fatal DUI crash in California. Then there are those who have been sentenced to life without parole for having a bag of weed. These sentences can be so wildly inconsistent.
After Bill Clinton signed the 3-strikes crime bill, that 3rd offense,
no matter how minor, can land one in the pokey for life.

A fatal DUI earning 13 years is also reasonable. Someone
made a conscious decision to drive very dangerously.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Sooo...you sayin' it's okay to snuff out a life as long as it meets your criteria....hmmm
What the hell are you talking about? I think people should get what they deserve. Do you know anything about this case at all? She is a horrible person and murdered an innocent man in his own apartment for no real reason.

If you believe in capital punishment, don't even talk to me because the same could be said about you. Or you are trolling, as you often are.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
What the hell are you talking about? I think people should get what they deserve. Do you know anything about this case at all? She is a horrible person and murdered an innocent man in his own apartment for no real reason.

If you believe in capital punishment, don't even talk to me because the same could be said about you. Or you are trolling, as you often are.

Capital punishment is decided and delivered by the state in accordance with the law, not by prison thugs or folks who feel a need for vengeance. This is what separates us from the criminals.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Capital punishment is decided and delivered by the state in accordance with the law, not by prison thugs or folks who feel a need for vengeance. This is what separates us from the criminals.
Do you feel bad for Jeffrey Dahmer, who was beaten to death in prison by another inmate? The State and its laws are not the sole arbiters of justice. That exists separate from the State. The best we can hope for is that the State aligns with justice but it doesn't always. It sometimes actively blocks its implementation. Laws and legal decisions can be unjust.

She is still a murderer who escaped justice and if she gets what she has coming to her, good.

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
BTW this hit me....Botham Jeans brother reminds me of this Bible verse which was a tactic used in many churches to pacify us through the generations.

“Slaves, obey your earthly masters with respect and fear, and with sincerity of heart, just as you would obey Christ.“

Ephesians 6:5

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Do you feel bad for Jeffrey Dahmer, who was beaten to death in prison by another inmate? The State and its laws are not the sole arbiters of justice. That exists separate from the State. The best we can hope for is that the State aligns with justice but it doesn't always. It sometimes actively blocks its implementation. Laws and legal decisions can be unjust.

She is still a murderer who escaped justice and if she gets what she has coming to her, good.

So you'd rather have anarchy than rule of law just to satisfy your blood lust?

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
So you'd rather have anarchy than rule of law just to satisfy your blood lust?
No, I'd rather have justice. You didn't answer my question about Dahmer, either. Did you think it was some horrible thing that he was killed?

Now, I'm not going to say that people should just kill her. But I think she definitely deserved the death penalty or life in prison, at the very least.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Can someone in this thread explain what was the point of the judge hugging her when she was convicted of murder? Has anyone heard of a judge hugging a man for murder?
Clearly, the judge is a racist white supremacist.
That explains the light sentence & the hug, eh.
AP19276009856037.jpg