• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Protests in Dallas after Amber Guyger sentence

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
For some, any reason to break windows, burn cars and
steal liquor and flat screen tvs will do.
Of course. That's how you protest against injustice(!) It's like the riots in Los Angeles years ago. The only ones suffering from these riots are the people rioting. The stores destroyed. Streets, peace, sanctity of their homes, all of it ruined for years.

In Compton they even shot at fire trucks and ambulances. Good thinking right there.

sooda

Veteran Member
I haven't been following the details, but I thought she found the door unlocked/ajar.
If I came home and found my door ajar, and called the police to check, I'm sure they'd make entrance with guns drawn, as standard operating procedure.
At what point did she draw her gun, anyway? Was that established?

Those are pretty much the same questions I have. Why would he have left his door ajar at night?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
It brings Justice. Justice for God and the family.
"The one who kills a man, should be killed too."
This is what is written in the heavenly laws of God.
She could saved herself from the punishment of men, but she will not save herself from God.
There's a problem with simplistic Bible solutions....the vast
continuum between the unforeseeable accident & planned
murder. The old eye for an eye cannot reasonably apply to all.
Besides, God has so far failed to testify in court about his
demands.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I can't believe there are people who believe her.
That was clearly a racist act.
Firstly, the woman claims the door was open, witnesses say they heard loud knocking, that's her first lie.
Secondly, even if she was really wrong about the door, one don't shoot an unarmed man.
Her racism is a possibility, but courts must deal with facts.
Was this motive proven beyond a reasonable doubt?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
It is a tragedy for those involved but would this case have gone viral without the race angle for the media to make sure we are aware of? If she was black too (or the victim white) would we non-locals have even heard of this case? I don't think so.

I'm just venting about how the media loves the attention it gets with the race card. They have actually fostered an increased sense of racial tension in the nation for the sake of their ratings.
It's a feedback loop, ie, more coverage is given to white on black violence,
which leads to more obsession with the same, which leads to...you know.
It would be 4th page news if the races were changed, eh.

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Given the standard American police culture and training, it was probably an automatic response; muscle memory, so to speak.
Aye, there's a big problem with how cops are trained.
The old shoot to kill & ask questions later default is
too common.
This gal could've should've immediately left the
apartment, & called the cops rather than face the
guy alone. What's the hurry in a burglary...he
might've gotten away with a TV & a toaster?

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
This is a case where Christianity historically has had the residual effect of the kind of pacifism that has kept people in both physical and mental bondage. there was a conservative podcast in Dallas that was worried about "racial revenge" yet when Botham's brother apologized it was the kind of godly attitude that we needed to quell the racial animus that exist. The problem here is, again, the outrage that happens is the kind of privilege that happens when you're white, a woman, and a cop. She shot Botham Jean. She did not perform CPR which is what police officers do. She admitted on the stand she had the intent to kill and admitted to not retreating. All these things is why she was convicted of murder.

The black community feels this is a miscarriage of justice under the pretense that for one, there was a black woman who fired warning shots and received a longer sentence than she. The Minneapolis police officer of Somalian descent killed a white woman under the pretense that she was a suspect with the intent to harm, received 12 years. I'm mad not at Botham's brother but the judge and the police officer stroking her hair. Come to find out the judge is supported by the Dallas police union. Again this goes back to my other thread about white privilege. People feel sorry for some punk a**** cop who shot an innocent human being, but oh she had plenty of things to say about black people on the internet. Oh and before you sillies think me calling her a racist is conjecture because so many of you don't like reading and love leading with your bias please see the following:

Prosecution in Guyger Trial Reveals Past Racist and Violent Texts, Social Media Posts

"In another conversation, dated Sept. 4, 2018, just two days before the shooting of Jean, Guyger responded to a text proposing she adopt a German Shepard.

“Although she may be racist,” the dog’s owner messaged Guyger.

“It’s okay.. I’m the same,” Guyger replied."

"In post of a Minion character from “Despicable Me,” Guyger commented under with the text “People are so ungrateful. No one ever thanks me for having the patience not to kill them.”

Prosecution in Guyger Trial Reveals Past Racist and Violent Texts, Social Media Posts | National Review

Last edited:

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
What would life or the death penalty accomplish -- besides increasing my taxes?

Do you live in the state of Texas? Regardless there are people serving life for drug related charges so what would you rather pay for, a murderer who actually did murder someone who was a cop, who did not do her due diligence as a law enforcement personnel or some guy that was caught with a pound of marijuana?

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
You misunderstood my point apparently.

My point was about how the media focused more attention on the case because of the race angle and all this race angle emotion serves to unnecessarily ratchet up the sense of racial tension in the nation. And it is being done to score up the media's ratings.

Well there is a racial component in the justice system, that has been proven by research this is nothing new. Maybe to you, but to the rest of the country it's not.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
She is just some privileged racist white girl. She deserved at least life in prison but I think she deserves the death penalty like any other murderer. Maybe some sisters in prison will deal some justice of their own.

Sooo...you sayin' it's okay to snuff out a life as long as it meets your criteria....hmmm

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
Aye, there's a big problem with how cops are trained.
The old shoot to kill & ask questions later default is
too common.
This gal could've should've immediately left the
apartment, & called the cops rather than face the
guy alone. What's the hurry in a burglary...he
might've gotten away with a TV & a toaster?
Yup. Agree. Unfortunately, it's an arm race going on. Police gets more equipped and the perpetrators become more violent and dangerous, which leads to police reacting tougher yet.

In Amber's case, their state have the castle laws or stand-your-ground or something, which gives anyone shooting another person inside their home almost a free pass if they consider themselves being in danger.

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum
The black community feels this is a miscarriage of justice under the pretense that for one, there was a black woman who fired warning shots and received a longer sentence than she. The Minneapolis police officer of Somalian descent killed a white woman under the pretense that she was a suspect with the intent to harm, received 12 years.
Those things are far worse than Amber only getting 10 years.. The true racial crimes are the difference in how punishments are given, and people of color tend to get extreme and unfair handling.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Yup. Agree. Unfortunately, it's an arm race going on. Police gets more equipped and the perpetrators become more violent and dangerous, which leads to police reacting tougher yet.

In Amber's case, their state have the castle laws or stand-your-ground or something, which gives anyone shooting another person inside their home almost a free pass if they consider themselves being in danger.
Apparently the jury found that she wasn't in danger.

Anyway, being a cop isn't even in the top 10 most
dangerous professions in Ameristan. So there
could be a false perception of the threat that we,
the masses, pose.

Epic Beard Man

Bearded Philosopher
Those things are far worse than Amber only getting 10 years.. The true racial crimes are the difference in how punishments are given, and people of color tend to get extreme and unfair handling.

That is the whole reason while the outrage happens. Justice is supposed to be blind and objective retribution for those who were wronged. But it is not that case. I again reiterate my point that the Somolian Muslim cop in Minneapolis did not get the same treatment. He didn't even have so-called blue lives matter to back him. His own union abandoned him. Where was the hugging and crying over him. The Goldman family, they're not saying they forgive OJ Simpson despite him being acquitted of all charges. Nobody cried over him. Nobody hugged him. This boils my blood because this is a prime example of the damn stuff I was talking about in my thread and it is plain as day.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
The black community feels this is a miscarriage of justice under the pretense that for one, there was a black woman who fired warning shots and received a longer sentence than she. The Minneapolis police officer of Somalian descent killed a white woman under the pretense that she was a suspect with the intent to harm, received 12 years.
Are you sure you mean "pretense"?
Definition of pretense | Dictionary.com