• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Proselytizing signs

Enoch07

It's all a sick freaking joke.
Premium Member
But nobody has done that, sooo...?

Yeah, picking on a Christian for holding up a sign is considered making mountain out of a mole hill. Now if he was knifing people yelling "salvation to the heatherns!". That would be something to talk about. But it's pretty lame and boring considering it's just one guy, quietly holding a sign.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Yeah, picking on a Christian for holding up a sign is considered making mountain out of a mole hill. Now if he was knifing people yelling "salvation to the heatherns!". That would be something to talk about. But it's pretty lame and boring considering it's just one guy, quietly holding a sign.

I think you're the one making making a mountain out of a molehill here. Merely making an observation regarding someone's odd behavior isn't the quite the same as calling for their head on a pike. Besides, it's a religious view/practice, and discussing/debating such things is what we do here at this forum.

Enoch07

Premium Member
I think you're the one making making a mountain out of a molehill here. Merely making an observation regarding someone's odd behavior isn't the quite the same as calling for their head on a pike. Besides, it's a religious view/practice, and discussing/debating such things is what we do here at this forum.

How is holding a sign odd behavior?

Enoch07

Premium Member
Don't be disingenuous. It's the message and the intent/expectations behind it that's being discussed. Also, this mentality were Christians scream persecution if you so much as look at them cross-eyed is getting rather silly.

What is odd about the message?

JESUS = HEAVEN
NO JESUS = HELL

It's a common idea throughout Christianity. So I fail to see what's odd about it.

Are you so anti-free speech you think he should not be allowed to express his view in a calm and orderly fashion of merely holding up a sign?

Enoch07

Premium Member
Oh, for ****'s sake. For the thousandth time, nobody has said that he shouldn't be allowed to display his little sign.

You are the one that said it was odd behavior. :shrug:

I don't see any other reason to make a stink about it, other than just to belittle him or suppress his free speech. Either way it's uncalled for.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
You are the one that said it was odd behavior. :shrug:

And?

I don't see any other reason to make a stink about it, other than just to belittle him or suppress his free speech. Either way it's uncalled for.

But nobody raised "a stink", and how exactly is it uncalled for to question somebody's prioritization methods? It is because you think Christians are beyond reproach and that anything less than a kiss on the *** is persecution?

Enoch07

Premium Member

You haven't shown how it is odd.

But nobody raised "a stink", and how exactly is it uncalled for to question somebody's prioritization methods? It is because you think Christians are beyond reproach and that anything less than a kiss on the *** is persecution?

Nope, but just be aware if someone makes a post complaining about a guy holding a sign peacefully, don't be sore when your called out for making a big deal over nothing.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
He probably knows not. But it fortifies some already believers.
Hmm... I had assumed that the sign was directed at unbelievers, not existing Christians, but your idea fits the facts, too.

So maybe he was trying to reinforce belief in Heaven and Hell as a way to keep people Christian? That’s probably the most plausible explanation so far.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I'm not picking on him; I'm trying to understand him.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
What is odd about the message?
What’s odd is that I don’t see how it would be effective at... well... anything, so I don’t understand why someone to go to all that trouble?

It's a common idea throughout Christianity. So I fail to see what's odd about it.
Yes: I get that Christians believe this. But most English-speaking (since the sign was in English) non-Christians already know that Christians believe this. The non-Christians who don’t know this:

- probably don’t know what “Heaven” and “Hell” are either, so the sign would be meaningless to them, and
- haven’t been exposed to much Western culture, so wouldn’t be watching the Olympics on TV.

Are you so anti-free speech you think he should not be allowed to express his view in a calm and orderly fashion of merely holding up a sign?
Are you so bad at reading comprehension that you can’t recognize the difference between “I don’t know why someone would do this” and “I think we should ban this?”

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Sure there is. The man was peacefully holding a sign with a message. What's the problem?
Nobody, except for you, has even mentioned the idea of it being some problem. The OP didn't even attack or challenge the behavior, but only asking questions about who the target audience is and what he hoped to accomplish. That isn't making it into a problem, it is nothing more than the everyday human thing to do of asking questions to try to understand something we don't understand.