• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Proselytizing signs

Enoch07

It's all a sick freaking joke.
Premium Member
I'm with Katz: such signs are essetainaily using fear tactics. It doesn't matter if a person has heard the same fear tactics a million times.

Thicken your skin then? If your that scared of a sign, then that is a you problem.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
It is but that does not mean it is disparaging other religions. You can promote something without disparaging other things ya know.
The "NO JESUS = HELL" part covered that angle.

I agree with you there. But he still has the right to do it peacefully.
Why would you think that he does? Are you talking about the rules for Olympic spectators, the laws of South Korea, or something else?

The way he was pulling it out of his coat to show it only when the camera was pointed at him suggests that the sign broke the rules and he knew it. The way he was acting sure made it seem like he was trying to avoid the attention of the staff who would be able to kick him out or tell him to stop.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
It doesn't affect my faith either. But a sign that says "Jesus = Heaven. No Jesus = Hell" is intended to shock and instill fear in people who are not Christians.
... but only in non-Christians who find Hell shocking and scary. That guy was focusing on a very narrow demographic.

I don't find tactics of that sort particularly "Christian."
Christians using fear of hell to motivate people has a history as long as the existence of Christianity itself.

Matthew 5:29-30:
29 If your right eye causes you to sin, tear it out and throw it away! It is better to lose one of your members than to have your whole body thrown into hell. 30 If your right hand causes you to sin, cut it off and throw it away! It is better to lose one of your members than to have your whole body go into hell.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
... but only in non-Christians who find Hell shocking and scary. That guy was focusing on a very narrow demographic.
I agree that he was focusing on a very narrow demographic, so narrow that it was probably a waste of the money it took to prepare the sign.

Christians using fear of hell to motivate people has a history as long as the existence of Christianity itself.

Matthew 5:29-30:
Yeah, I know, but when I say something's not very "Christian," I'm really thinking that it's not very "Christ-like." Maybe I should rephrase that in the future.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
How did it disparage them?
By implying that their adherents are hellbound.

There is no other concussion.
:)

Either you believe free speech is a universal human right or you do not.
Pump the brakes there, bub.

You do understand that when you’re a guest in someone else’s establishment - e.g. when you’re a spectator at a sporting event - they can ask you to follow certain rules and if you disobey them, they can kick you out, right? This is not a free speech issue.

Enoch07

Premium Member
By implying that their adherents are hellbound.

Not all religions believe in hell. So you can't say it's disparaging to all other religions.

Pump the brakes there, bub.

You do understand that when you’re a guest in someone else’s establishment - e.g. when you’re a spectator at a sporting event - they can ask you to follow certain rules and if you disobey them, they can kick you out, right? This is not a free speech issue.

It is for people who believe free speech is a universal human right.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
It is for people who believe free speech is a universal human right.
Free speech is not an unfettered right anyplace, there's still rules.
And not everywhere are even the basics guaranteed by the government, much less the social contract.
So, no. You're being a little foolish here if those facts escape you. If not, then you see why he hasn't necessarily got the right to hold up that sign where he was doing it.

I'm not even sure he'd have them here in the US.
Tom

Enoch07

Premium Member
Free speech is not an unfettered right anyplace, there's still rules.
And not everywhere are even the basics guaranteed by the government, much less the social contract.
So, no. You're being a little foolish here if those facts escape you. If not, then you see why he hasn't necessarily got the right to hold up that sign where he was doing it.

Free speech is a universal human right. If you don't support that, well, it says very bad things about you.

How does this break any free speech law?

If you can show how it is outside of free speech then you have an argument.

Otherwise you don't believe free speech is a universal human right.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Free speech is a universal human right. If you don't support that, well, it says very bad things about you.
Stick it up your snark.

How does this break any free speech law?
I don't know what the laws in Korea are concerning private property and events and behavior.
But let's face it, if someone showed up at your church and started talking about how much better Islam is, shutting him down wouldn't be considered a violation of his right to free speech by anyone I know.

If you can show how it is outside of free speech then you have an argument.

Otherwise you don't believe free speech is a universal human right.

I don't believe in unfettered rights to free speech, nor do I think that all countries have even basic rights on this subject. So, no, I don't believe that free speech is a universal human right in any sense.
Tom

Enoch07

Premium Member
Stick it up your snark

I rest my case.

I don't know what the laws in Korea are concerning private property and events and behavior.
But let's face it, if someone showed up at your church and started talking about how much better Islam is i

My church is private property. (If I had one)

A sporting event is in the public. So long as you are not loud/disruptive, making threats, or causing physical harm, then you are well within your rights of free speech. Your fee fees are you own responsibility to manage.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
My church is private property. (If I had one)

A sporting event is in the public.
The sporting events are still being held on somebody's property, just like your church is.
Being free to express your opinion doesn't give you the right to do it anywhere at any time.
Tom

Enoch07

Premium Member
The sporting events are still being held on somebody's property, just like your church is.
Being free to express your opinion doesn't give you the right to do it anywhere at any time.

The event allowed him on the property with the sign, therefore it must have been "ok".;)

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
The event allowed him on the property with the sign, therefore it must have been "ok".;)
Are you sure that they did it knowingly, or did he hide it?:shrug:
Frankly, I don't really care about him at all. I thought he mostly made Christianity look bad, hypocritical and pushy.
I don't have a problem with him doing that. I would expect Christians to have a problem with it.
Except, I suppose, for the ones who don't see pushy hypocrisy as a bad thing. ;)
Tom

Enoch07

Premium Member
Are you sure that they did it knowingly, or did he hide it?

Can you provide evidence he used deception to get the sign in?

The fact he has the sign and is displaying it is evidence he was allowed with it in.