• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Proof of American Exceptionalism

Cooky

Veteran Member
With all due respect...sometimes I do have the sensation that average Americans (pardon my bluntness) don't really give a damn about us Europeans.
That is...about our politics...whether American decisions taken in Washington DC affect us Europeans or not. And how.

And this hurts...because United States of America was -allegedly- founded by Europeans.

Personally, I love the Europeans. I'm purely a European American myself.

David T

Premium Member
Here, we will define American exceptionalism as; American exceptionalism"-the idea that America is a more nearly exceptional nation than are others, that it differs qualitatively from the rest of the world and has a unique role to play in world history
<Source: Wikipedia>

Here is proof that America is exceptional by innovation. Americans invented (and/or) discovered the following:
  • Electric generation
  • Mass communication
  • Sound recording
  • Motion picture
  • Incandescent lamp (light bulb)
  • Microwave ovens
  • Refrigerators
  • Silicon (computer) chips
  • First digital computer
  • Nuclear fission

...This is just for starters. :cool:
I live there. Where ever i live is the best..must be because i live there!

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Of course...Americans are the first victims of certains games of power played -always- by elites.
From my perspective, everybody else is the victim first, followed by non-whites and historically non-Anglo-Sax whites and non-protestant whites. Where we are victims is the dellusions of consumerism, theocrats wanting the Bible to reign, crap labor laws and policies, decimation of unions, and staggering income inequality. But we dont get bombed and the military doesnt come in to clear the way for corporate interests.

Terry Sampson

Can average American empathize with us and feeling slightly guilty for electing him?

You're looking for an apology??

Screenshot_2019-07-09 henry louis mencken copy.jpg

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
Here, we will define American exceptionalism as; American exceptionalism"-the idea that America is a more nearly exceptional nation than are others, that it differs qualitatively from the rest of the world and has a unique role to play in world history

Here is proof that America is exceptional by innovation. Americans invented (and/or) discovered the following:
  • Electric generation
  • Mass communication
  • Sound recording
  • Motion picture
  • Microwave ovens
  • Refrigerators
  • First digital computer
  • Nuclear fission

I do not believe this takes into consideration the international involvement in the development of those advancements in the list and those things developed in other countries.

For examples:

From: Timeline  |  History  |  Tools & Resources  |  National Recording Preservation Plan  |  Programs at the Library of Congress  |  Library of Congress
Édouard-Léon Scott de Martinville a Frenchman recorded the first sound, and the invention of the Phonautograph.

From: History of the Light Bulb | Lighting Basics | Bulbs.com
Early Light Bulbs
In 1802, Humphry Davy invented the first electric light. He experimented with electricity and invented an electric battery. When he connected wires to his battery and a piece of carbon, the carbon glowed, producing light. His invention was known as the Electric Arc lamp. And while it produced light, it didn’t produce it for long and was much too bright for practical use.

Over the next seven decades, other inventors also created “light bulbs” but no designs emerged for commerical application. More notably, in 1840, British scientist Warren de la Rue enclosed a coiled platinum filament in a vacuum tube and passed an electric current through it. The design was based on the concept that the high melting point of platinum would allow it to operate at high temperatures and that the evacuated chamber would contain fewer gas molecules to react with the platinum, improving its longevity. Although an efficient design, the cost of the platinum made it impractical for commercial production.

In 1850 an English physicist named Joseph Wilson Swan created a “light bulb” by enclosing carbonized paper filaments in an evacuated glass bulb. And by 1860 he had a working prototype, but the lack of a good vacuum and an adequate supply of electricity resulted in a bulb whose lifetime was much too short to be considered an effective prodcer of light. However, in the 1870’s better vacuum pumps became available and Swan continued experiments on light bulbs. In 1878, Swan developed a longer lasting light bulb using a treated cotton thread that also removed the problem of early bulb blackening.

On July 24, 1874 a Canadian patent was filed by a Toronto medical electrician named Henry Woodward and a colleague Mathew Evans. They built their lamps with different sizes and shapes of carbon rods held between electrodes in glass cylinders filled with nitrogen. Woodward and Evans attempted to commercialize their lamp, but were unsuccessful. They eventually sold their patent to Edison in 1879

Just for starters . . .

Cooky

Veteran Member
opinion..

No. It's actually a scientifically proven fact. Using the Scientific Method, we have recreated the "American style" in South Korea and China, and the findings are the same... Prosperity.

...It is a factual theory. America is exceptional.

Vaziri

Islamic Philosopher
No. It's actually a scientifically proven fact. Using the Scientific Method, we have recreated the "American style" in South Korea and China, and the findings are the same... Prosperity.

...It is a factual theory. America is exceptional.
Hahaha. Thanks!

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

• Electric generation
  • Mass communication
  • Sound recording
  • Motion picture
  • Microwave ovens
  • Refrigerators
  • First digital computer
  • Nuclear fission

I don't think American exceptionalism is just related to things which Americans invented (although when it comes to scientific and technological achievement, there's more of a "group effort" encompassing many nations and individuals).

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
With all due respect...sometimes I do have the sensation that average Americans (pardon my bluntness) don't really give a damn about us Europeans.
That is...about our politics...whether American decisions taken in Washington DC affect us Europeans or not. And how.

And this hurts...because United States of America was -allegedly- founded by Europeans.

Well, yes, America was founded by Europeans - who had reasons for wanting to leave Europe and separate themselves politically from the affairs of that continent. By the same token, America's Founders didn't want America to get involved in European affairs or play favorites among European nations. We wanted to remain neutral, not so much because we didn't give a damn, but more to protect ourselves.

During the 19th century, Europe was going through various wars, turmoil, and discord, while the US was involved in expansionism on our own continent and pushing towards the Pacific Rim. At that time, it wasn't really feasible for the US to get involved in European affairs, and we figured they could handle their own problems anyway.

It wasn't until the World Wars that America started to become more of a major player in European politics, and we tried to stay out at first. I think there's a combination of American chest-thumping pride that "we saved Europe twice," along with an underlying resentment at having been dragged in to two world wars in the first place.

That may be where a lot of feelings towards American exceptionalism come from, since Americans born around or after WW2 have been brought up to believe that America is indispensable to world freedom - the so-called "defender of the free world."

But there are also quite a number of Americans who have clearly grown weary of America in this role. It's been an unnecessary and unfair burden on the US taxpayers to have to feed the military-industrial complex which provides the means for fulfilling our role as world's policeman.