• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Proof of American Exceptionalism

Dan From Smithville

Monsters! Monsters from the id! Forbidden Planet
Staff member
Premium Member
With all due respect...sometimes I do have the sensation that average Americans (pardon my bluntness) don't really give a damn about us Europeans.
That is...about our politics...whether American decisions taken in Washington DC affect us Europeans or not. And how.

And this hurts...because United States of America was -allegedly- founded by Europeans.
Don't feel exceptional. Ordinary Americans do not care about anyone. Of course, I and my fellow citizens on this forum are extraordinary Americans and we care.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
Here, we will define American exceptionalism as; American exceptionalism"-the idea that America is a more nearly exceptional nation than are others, that it differs qualitatively from the rest of the world and has a unique role to play in world history
<Source: Wikipedia>

Here is proof that America is exceptional by innovation. Americans invented (and/or) discovered the following:
  • Electric generation
  • Mass communication
  • Sound recording
  • Motion picture
  • Incandescent lamp (light bulb)
  • Microwave ovens
  • Refrigerators
  • Silicon (computer) chips
  • First digital computer
  • Nuclear fission

...This is just for starters. :cool:
The water bed. Invented by Robert Heinlein. I am just a fan, but he is an American or was, since he is no longer with us.

I personally know the team that invented the first commercially active insecticidal protein that is active against plant bugs. All American. Except for the two ladies from India. And the Chinese molecular biologist. And the Italian protein biochemist. But the rest are American and it happened here.

The cotton gin is an American invention that revolutionized cotton production.

I suppose it does make us exceptional in the number of inventions that have taken place here.

Cooky

Veteran Member
The water bed. Invented by Robert Heinlein. I am just a fan, but he is an American or was, since he is no longer with us.

I personally know the team that invented the first commercially active insecticidal protein that is active against plant bugs. All American. Except for the two ladies from India. And the Chinese molecular biologist. And the Italian protein biochemist. But the rest are American and it happened here.

I suppose it does make us exceptional in the number of inventions that have taken place here.

There are a lot. Something we don't talk about much, but is absolutely true.

A lot of people like to focus on the negative, but I prefer to look at the positive.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
There are a lot. Something we don't talk about much, but is absolutely true.

A lot of people like to focus on the negative, but I prefer to look at the positive.
Of course, it has been pointed out and rightly so, that many of these inventions were made on the shoulders of the giants that came before us and some of those were from other lands. But this does not mean all of this innovation arose that way nor does it minimize the importance of those that did.

Cooky

Veteran Member
Of course, it has been pointed out and rightly so, that many of these inventions were made on the shoulders of the giants that came before us and some of those were from other lands. But this does not mean all of this innovation arose that way nor does it minimize the importance of those that did.

Exactly. Acknowledging direct American successes takes nothing away from those who tried and 'almost' reached success before them.

...They're still remembered too. But those who actually made it happen deserve fair recognition.

Last edited by a moderator:

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Didn't Faraday develop the electric generator and didn't the Swiss invent the magnetron that makes microwave ovens possible? I'll have to look that up.

Yes but inside each of these people is an American trying to get out.

Deep down, everyone in the world is an American. They will be assimilated.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
Yes but inside each of these people is an American trying to get out.

Deep down, everyone in the world is an American. They will be assimilated.
People from other countries want to be here with us and other countries want to be us. It is the Austin Powers Syndrome. Another great American.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member

I would think it exceptional if the USA didn't invent so much - given their wealth - much like sporting achievements are so often related to how much money one throws at them. And likewise, many other inventions could be attributed to the dominance of other nations when they were apparently top dogs. I think you guys are in need of a hug.

:hugehug: