• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Priest who supports gay marriage will not submit

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Why should the RCC change its teaching regarding homosexuality?

For much the same basic reason why it changed its teaching regarding slavery: because it is clearly the right, moral thing to do.

Because it doesn't bend with the winds of the world and accept the latest political chic trend and support gay 'rights.'

No, that would not be a good enough reason.

MoonWater

Warrior Bard
Premium Member
interesting. this guy should be commended. Hopefully he finds a way to continue his work maybe as an unofficial catholic priest or what not, if that's even possible.

Any word on Argentina's decision about same-sex marriage?

Smoke

Done here.
Any word on Argentina's decision about same-sex marriage?
I'm under the impression that they're going to vote in the morning. We'll see how it goes. The Chamber of Deputies already approved it, and the President has said if the bill makes it to her desk, she'll sign it. So it's all up to the senators.

Joe_Stocks

Back from the Dead
Hi Luis,

For much the same basic reason why it changed its teaching regarding slavery: because it is clearly the right, moral thing to do.

But why is the RCC position on homosexuality wrong?

Joe_Stocks

Back from the Dead
Hi Storm,

But homosexuals aren't being oppressed and the RCC specifically condemns any oppression of homosexuals.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
The RCC refuses to acknowledge that what it does is oppressive to homosexuals, that much is true.

But at the same time it still refuses to recognize homosexual behavior as the fully legitimate and respectable behavior that it has always been. It hasn't even stopped calling it a sin.

Joe_Stocks

Back from the Dead
Hi Luis,

The RCC refuses to acknowledge that what it does is oppressive to homosexuals, that much is true.

How does the RCC oppress homosexuals? Specifics would be nice.

But at the same time it still refuses to recognize homosexual behavior as the fully legitimate and respectable behavior that it has always been. It hasn't even stopped calling it a sin.

But why should it be regarded as legitimate and respectable? Simply stating it is a pretty weak argument.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Homosexuals are people. Homosexual relationships are a private matter and as such not much different from heterosexual ones. For moral purposes, they're quite equivalent.

Those are pretty basic facts, and shall be self-evident. If you don't agree, I don't think I can convince you. But they still stand on their own merits.

Joe_Stocks

Back from the Dead
Hi Luis,

Homosexuals are people

I hope you are not conflating two issues here. Homosexuality is a behavior, it is not a race or gender. Believe it or not but there are former homosexuals, but there are not former African-Americans (obviously there is gender reassignment, but you don't choose the gender you are born with).

And on a biological level the two different genders compliment each other in a way that homosexual relationships cannot; allowing for the creation of life. I think this makes it pretty obvious that heterosxual relationships are superior to homosexual relationships because the creation of life is obviously superior to the inability to create life.

I think your case needs a little work. All you have is that homosexuals are people (proves nothing) and their relationships are private (also proves nothing). Somehow this is self-evident? You'll have to do better than that.

Smoke

Done here.
I hope you are not conflating two issues here. Homosexuality is a behavior, it is not a race or gender. Believe it or not but there are former homosexuals, but there are not former African-Americans (obviously there is gender reassignment, but you don't choose the gender you are born with).

And on a biological level the two different genders compliment each other in a way that homosexual relationships cannot; allowing for the creation of life. I think this makes it pretty obvious that heterosxual relationships are superior to homosexual relationships because the creation of life is obviously superior to the inability to create life.
Same old BS. It's been answered over and over, and I'm sure you've had the opportunity to learn that it's BS. If you choose to be wilfully ignorant, that's on you. I get tired of refuting the same old tired nonsense.

Joe_Stocks

Back from the Dead
Hi Smoke,

Same old BS. It's been answered over and over, and I'm sure you've had the opportunity to learn that it's BS. If you choose to be wilfully ignorant, that's on you. I get tired of refuting the same old tired nonsense.

LOL! Then refute it.

Smoke

Done here.
LOL! Then refute it.
No, seriously, Joe. You have no interest in the truth. You just choose to defend this nonsense no matter how indefensible it is. I can't educate you against your will. If you decide honesty is more important than dogma and bigotry, you can educate yourself. Maybe then it will mean something.

Joe_Stocks

Back from the Dead
Hi Smoke,

No, seriously, Joe. You have no interest in the truth. You just choose to defend this nonsense no matter how indefensible it is. I can't educate you against your will. If you decide honesty is more important than dogma and bigotry, you can educate yourself. Maybe then it will mean something.

Seriously Smoke, waiting for that refutation.

And I love the tolerance of the left, you know next to nothing about me and yet you have these fantastic insights at my relation to the truth.

Preach on brother.

Ordeet

Hi Luis,

But why is the RCC position on homosexuality wrong?

It is oppressive, discriminatory, and in violation of the basic ideas of human rights.

Even Jesus, as Biblical legends tell us, saw the good in a dying thief and was able to forgive that man on the cross. So who are you to go around saying that someone with a different lifestyle can't be a priest?

As for your interest in the truth, Smoke is very right. You are not interested in becoming educated, because you post the same old talking points over and over. Had you really been interested in finding the refutations, you can easily do the research yourself. But no, you demand that someone else do the work for you in an attempt to derail the conversation.

Joe_Stocks

Back from the Dead
Hi Ordeet,

It is oppressive, discriminatory, and in violation of the basic ideas of human rights.

I disagree with all of this. The RCC teaches that you shouldn't oppress homosexuals.

Even Jesus, as Biblical legends tell us, saw the good in a dying thief and was able to forgive that man on the cross. So who are you to go around saying that someone with a different lifestyle can't be a priest?

Who says priests cannot be homosexual? They just cannot perform homosexual acts.

As for your interest in the truth, Smoke is very right. You are not interested in becoming educated, because you post the same old talking points over and over. Had you really been interested in finding the refutations, you can easily do the research yourself. But no, you demand that someone else do the work for you in an attempt to derail the conversation.

LOL! That's 2 for 2. Hopefully Luis can make it a hat trick.

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
That's correct. He supports marriage equality for civil purposes; he doesn't support same-sex marriage in the church.
Since my assumption was correct, I'm not sure I agree with the condemnation...

Luis said:
The RCC still should change its stance
No... it should not.

Ordeet

Who says priests cannot be homosexual? They just cannot perform homosexual acts.

What if the government said that you can be Catholic, you just cannot perform Catholic acts? After all Catholicism is a behavior, it is not a race or gender. Believe it or not but there are former Catholics :D

Joe_Stocks

Back from the Dead
Hi Ordeet,

What if the government said that you can be Catholic, you just cannot perform Catholic acts? After all Catholicism is a behavior, it is not a race or gender. Believe it or not but there are former Catholics

First, curse the day we have a Catholic government.

Second, Catholicism is a religion you freely join or not join. Therefore, there is no connection between government and Catholicism. Governments, by definition, having a monopoly on power, the RCC does not have this (although the Vatican is its own nation-state if I am not mistaken).