• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Prevent criminals from having guns

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
But out of just sheer curiosity why don't you agree with mental health checks for gun ownership?
What if a person with a history of suicidal depression buys a gun and kills themselves and their family?
A pre-purchase mental health evaluation would be a difficult sell politically.
But evidence of mental problems by anyone should alert authorities for
evaluation of appropriateness of gun ownership & access. This is achievable IMO.

Skwim

Veteran Member
I imagine that the amount of standoffs and domestic terrorism as a result would be off the charts.
In the beginning, no doubt

12_w730.jpg

But as these teams proved their effectiveness the populace would see the futility in resisting and eventually surrender their weapons.

40412718354_0500017b1e_z.jpg

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Why have laws? Criminals will just break them.
I don't agree with a gun ban but the idea that bans of weapons do in fact deter criminals is pretty evident by the lack of thugs with military grade weaponry. Just because they'd use it doesn't mean they can get it

It would slow down acquisition, but wouldn't make it impossible for a determined person.

I can get behind an age requirement and weapon component bans such as bump stocks.

I also entertain the idea with lever, bolt, and pump action as opposed to semi-automatic which would greatly reduce the expenditure of rounds from the muzzle. Also the technology of smart guns is compelling.

That to me would take care of the gun aspect of the debate without a major infringement on the Second Amendment. I still think it's not a gun issue specifically. This country had guns pretty much from the start.

it's a security issue more than anything else as I see it. Also I think it's pertinent to look at the reasons why these past few generations have been getting more cynical, rude, and violent and have them addressed.

Curious George

Veteran Member
I have no dog in this race. So please note I'm completely a neutral party. Keep an entire Arsenal in your house for all I care.

But out of just sheer curiosity why don't you agree with mental health checks for gun ownership?
What if a person with a history of suicidal depression buys a gun and kills themselves and their family?
It is an issue of privacy. I do not think people should have access to your medical records unless they are a medical professional or you choose to grant it. This would be a case of the latter. It is forcing you to give up one right for another.

Then I suggest it would be similar to an example of when some killed their family and his/herself without a gun due to mental illness. It would be an example of why we need better mental health care, less stigma in the receiving mental health care, and easier access points to mental health care.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
No right to hunt for food, and certainly no right to self defense....That makes sense:rolleyes::facepalm:
Making it illegal to protect yourself out in the country, so that congress can continue to ignore the increasing problems surrounding bad educational management, education that is proven to leave many students out in the cold, education that guarantees servitude for many without high income, education that forbids any complaint or change in how things are done.

We get rid of self defense instead of changing educational policies that leave students lost and confused about what their education is doing for them. We keep on doing everything the same, and we punish country people who have committed the crime of not moving to cities. We keep on cranking students through our factories, just like before, still just as dazed and confused when they graduate, all asking themselves how they can best beg for a job from a master and also with fewer rights than before or which college to go to so they can figure out what their education is for and what they might be good at.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
It is an issue of privacy. I do not think people should have access to your medical records unless they are a medical professional or you choose to grant it. This would be a case of the latter. It is forcing you to give up one right for another.

Then I suggest it would be similar to an example of when some killed their family and his/herself without a gun due to mental illness. It would be an example of why we need better mental health care, less stigma in the receiving mental health care, and easier access points to mental health care.
Fair enough

Akivah

explosives should be limited at a federal level.
This should not be regulated at a federal level.
This should not be regulated at a federal level.
Hi Curious George. My questions didn't mention which government jurisdiction would have the limitations. Please re-answer in more details for non-federal jurisdictions.

Curious George

Veteran Member
Hi Curious George. My questions didn't mention which government jurisdiction would have the limitations. Please re-answer in more details for non-federal jurisdictions.
No sweat. Just change the answers that say this "should not be regulated at the federal level" to if a local jurisdiction does not prohibit it.

David1967

Premium Member
Making it illegal to protect yourself out in the country, so that congress can continue to ignore the increasing problems surrounding bad educational management, education that is proven to leave many students out in the cold, education that guarantees servitude for many without high income, education that forbids any complaint or change in how things are done.

We get rid of self defense instead of changing educational policies that leave students lost and confused about what their education is doing for them. We keep on doing everything the same, and we punish country people who have committed the crime of not moving to cities. We keep on cranking students through our factories, just like before, still just as dazed and confused when they graduate, all asking themselves how they can best beg for a job from a master and also with fewer rights than before or which college to go to so they can figure out what their education is for and what they might be good at.

I definitely agree with you on the education issue.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I think that what should and can be done is to study what some of the more successful countries have done that do allow guns in the hands of the public but yet have relatively low incidents of gun crimes, such as Canada, France, the U.K., Australia, Israel, etc.

David1967

Premium Member
I think that what should and can be done is to study what some of the more successful countries have done that do allow guns in the hands of the public but yet have relatively low incidents of gun crimes, such as Canada, France, the U.K., Australia, Israel, etc.

I think that is a very useful suggestion Metis.

Shaul

Premium Member
What about them? Criminals have to keep their guns somewhere, and with a weapon bounty of $10,000 for information leading to these criminals and their stash of guns, the Snitch And Get Rich program will have them rounded them up in a year or two.

Well you started by eliminating gun rights, next you are confiscating private property, and now you want a nation of snitches. “Brilliant”! Who shall we get to run this nightmare, you perhaps, Mein Fuhrer?

Perhaps not. Maybe I’ll plant a gun at your house and then report you so I can get $10,000. But you protest that you’re innocent? Bwahahahaha, next stop is the concentration camp for you. Too bad you don’t have a gun to defend your liberty.

Skwim

Veteran Member
Well you started by eliminating gun rights, next you are confiscating private property, and now you want a nation of snitches. “Brilliant”! Who shall we get to run this nightmare, you perhaps, Mein Fuhrer?
And in the meantime every year 38,000 + people will be alive who would have otherwise been shot to death, and we'll have reduced the national debt to zero. To me it's a great trade off.

Perhaps not. Maybe I’ll plant a gun at your house and then report you so I can get $10,000. But you protest that you’re innocent? Bwahahahaha, next stop is the concentration camp for you. Too bad you don’t have a gun to defend your liberty.
Obviously you didn't get the memo. Anyone caught trying to plant firearms on someone else will face a mandatory three years in prison, plus the loss of their trigger finger. On both hands if they're ambidextrous.