• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Premature Lap...

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Nibble on food you like if you can and look forward to a smoke free Christmas
That's what I am doing now. I rely on the Boost product to give me my essentials and am slowly getting back into more robust foods. So far, I've noticed that my taste buds don't seem to mind bland things, but anything that adds a "pop" to a dish (like lime, garlic ... you name it.) is almost impossible. While I was away, I tried a "Beyond Meat" burger at an A&W and found it perfectly delicious and downed the thing in a wink of an eye. *sigh*

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
That's what I am doing now. I rely on the Boost product to give me my essentials and am slowly getting back into more robust foods. So far, I've noticed that my taste buds don't seem to mind bland things, but anything that adds a "pop" to a dish (like lime, garlic ... you name it.) is almost impossible. While I was away, I tried a "Beyond Meat" burger at an A&W and found it perfectly delicious and downed the thing in a wink of an eye. *sigh*
Caution: Irrelevant post
You have an A&W up there in frost giant land?
I used to go to one in a small town some 60 years ago.
We used to get a drink called "swamp water"...half
orange drink & half root beer. Ever heard of it?

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

Never heard of a&w or beyond meat but glad you enjoyed it

Your liking for food will improve so keep an eye on that weight, my dad found taste improved but he put on half a stone (7 lbs).

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Caution: Irrelevant post
You have an A&W up there in frost giant land?
I used to go to one in a small town some 60 years ago.
We used to get a drink called "swamp water"...half
orange drink & half root beer. Ever heard of it?
It does not ring bells, sorry. :(

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Okies. Today is Day 52 and I am now a major multi-day crisis and two weeks past my last patch.

I am going to go out on a limb now and declare victory!

The days before Christmas were so serious and inflicted by the unrelenting weather that I was a bit surprised that at no time did I even think of having or wanting, let alone needing, a cigarette. It never entered my mind.

A day or so after coming back home after Christmas, I whimsically thought I might have that last cigarette sitting in the package where I left it almost 2 months ago. The involuntary reaction was so swift that I was shocked. I became so intensely nauseous, so fast, that I almost lost, what counted as lunch, right in the middle of the hallway.

I really don't think me picking up a cigarette and putting it in my mouth will EVER be an issue again. (Just writing that practically curdles my stomach. LOL.)

Thanks to everyone for all the great advice and the wonderful support and encouragement. You all made this a lot easier.

Thanks to: @Quetzal @columbus @Geoff-Allen @Subduction Zone @BSM1 @sun rise @Hubert Farnsworth @icehorse @SalixIncendium @ADigitalArtist @Bob the Unbeliever @Quagmire @Revoltingest @TurkeyOnRye @ChristineM @Laika @Thief @Enoch07 @Jainarayan @Vinayaka @Terrywoodenpic @Landon Caeli @SkepticThinker @metis @Rival and thanks to anyone else whose kind words and encouragement I may have overlooked.

I still can't quite believe that I have done it! I'll take that lap now though!

060917_atl_race_end_med_alqi5huf.gif

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Good on you, but just a heads up; I took my last puff on July 23, 1973. To this day I can still taste them and feel them in my hands and face. I'm sure you will experience that sensation somewhere down the line. When the urge hits me I follow the words of a very wise Chinese philosopher: "Don't do it, dummy..."

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member
Very sincere congrats @YmirGF

To return to the recent detour: My wife always had a very limited palate - didn't like most foods. We gave up gluten a few years back, and her taste buds have magically opened up to enjoying a whole host of foods she never liked before.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Good on you, but just a heads up; I took my last puff on July 23, 1973. To this day I can still taste them and feel them in my hands and face. I'm sure you will experience that sensation somewhere down the line. When the urge hits me I follow the words of a very wise Chinese philosopher: "Don't do it, dummy..."
In a dream a few nights back...

In the scene, suddenly I was opening a carton of my brand of cigarettes, fished out a package, but before I could open the pack, IN THE DREAM, my dreaming self suddenly said, "Wait a sec! We don't do that anymore." and threw it all somewhere to the side. So, I'm even vigilant in my fricken dreams. LOL.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Very sincere congrats @YmirGF

To return to the recent detour: My wife always had a very limited palate - didn't like most foods. We gave up gluten a few years back, and her taste buds have magically opened up to enjoying a whole host of foods she never liked before.
Since that 5 day long power failure, I had to empty and throw out everything in my freezers. (I have 3.) Because of my eating "challenges" I am very slowly replacing basic items and condiments since I'm still not eating full normal meals yet. Dinner is still Boost and a nice sandwich. I am looking also at Vegatarian alternatives too. Maybe it's time to go right off the deep end. LOL. The neat thing, at this point, is I'm losing a few pounds ON top of quitting smoking. So Win/win as long as I can get a handle on the food front soon. *sigh*

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Okies. Today is Day 52 and I am now a major multi-day crisis and two weeks past my last patch.

I am going to go out on a limb now and declare victory!

The days before Christmas were so serious and inflicted by the unrelenting weather that I was a bit surprised that at no time did I even think of having or wanting, let alone needing, a cigarette. It never entered my mind.

A day or so after coming back home after Christmas, I whimsically thought I might have that last cigarette sitting in the package where I left it almost 2 months ago. The involuntary reaction was so swift that I was shocked. I became so intensely nauseous, so fast, that I almost lost, what counted as lunch, right in the middle of the hallway.

I really don't think me picking up a cigarette and putting it in my mouth will EVER be an issue again. (Just writing that practically curdles my stomach. LOL.)

Thanks to everyone for all the great advice and the wonderful support and encouragement. You all made this a lot easier.

Thanks to: @Quetzal @columbus @Geoff-Allen @Subduction Zone @BSM1 @sun rise @Hubert Farnsworth @icehorse @SalixIncendium @ADigitalArtist @Bob the Unbeliever @Quagmire @Revoltingest @TurkeyOnRye @ChristineM @Laika @Thief @Enoch07 @Jainarayan @Vinayaka @Terrywoodenpic @Landon Caeli @SkepticThinker @metis @Rival and thanks to anyone else whose kind words and encouragement I may have overlooked.

I still can't quite believe that I have done it! I'll take that lap now though!

060917_atl_race_end_med_alqi5huf.gif

Congratulations on 52 days

Winner.gif

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I quit once for 6 months.
I am smoking a Camel 99, full flavor, as we speak.

Addiction is pervasive and relentless.
Don't get cocky, boy.
Tom
I do hear ya, Tom. Thanks for trying to keep my feet on the ground. I really appreciate it. Like with my depression, I will always have to be wary...

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I do hear ya, Tom. Thanks for trying to keep my feet on the ground. I really appreciate it. Like with my depression, I will always have to be wary...
Fortunately it gets easier over time. But if you're like me, it desire will come back and test your resolve from time-to-time. I'm proof that it can be done. It helped me to remember all the reasons I quit when temptation reared its head.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Fortunately it gets easier over time. But if you're like me, it desire will come back and test your resolve from time-to-time. I'm proof that it can be done. It helped me to remember all the reasons I quit when temptation reared its head.
One day while in prison, I had dozed off in my chair, while writing. When I awoke, I bolted up in my seat, convinced I HAD to get to a store immediately because I was down to half a pack of cigarettes. It took a few seconds for me to regroup and realize: 1) I no longer smoked, 2) My captors were not likely to let me go to a corner store.

I realize your comment is from several years ago, but this was an incredibly vivid event.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
One day while in prison, I had dozed off in my chair, while writing. When I awoke, I bolted up in my seat, convinced I HAD to get to a store immediately because I was down to half a pack of cigarettes. It took a few seconds for me to regroup and realize: 1) I no longer smoked, 2) My captors were not likely to let me go to a corner store.

I realize your comment is from several years ago, but this was an incredibly vivid event.
I think such things are with us for awhile, if not for our lives the way addiction and such substances alter the brain. It's been a long time since I've had a cigarette myself, but a couple years ago I watched the King of the Hill episode where they catch Bobby smoking and Peggy and Hank reliving their time as smokers got me craving a cigarette hardcore with my own brain remembering the pleasures (especially as I was a social smoker) and stress release of smoking. It passed, and I haven't had a craving like that sense, but damn it was a nasty hard one.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I'm curious, as an ex do you find the smell of cigarette smoke beyond repulsive now, far worse than you ever remember before you started smoking?
I assume I'd probably also be back to having first cigarette taste again, another thing that has always had me wonder how do we ever get over that and come back for another as hideous as the first one is?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I think such things are with us for awhile, if not for our lives the way addiction and such substances alter the brain. It's been a long time since I've had a cigarette myself, but a couple years ago I watched the King of the Hill episode where they catch Bobby smoking and Peggy and Hank reliving their time as smokers got me craving a cigarette hardcore with my own brain remembering the pleasures (especially as I was a social smoker) and stress release of smoking. It passed, and I haven't had a craving like that sense, but damn it was a nasty hard one.
But have you given up propane & propane accessories?

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I'm curious, as an ex do you find the smell of cigarette smoke beyond repulsive now, far worse than you ever remember before you started smoking?
Actually, I find the smell of tobacco to be uncomfortably pleasant if some is smoking near me. The smell of someone who has just come in after a cigarette is utterly disgusting. *shrugs*

I assume I'd probably also be back to having first cigarette taste again, another thing that has always had me wonder how do we ever get over that and come back for another as hideous as the first one is?
Addiction always over-promise and under-deliver.