• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Premature Lap...

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
37 hrs... 34 min... jonesing a bit...(not really)
It's more the feeling that I should be doing something LOL and it is tugging at my attention.
(What I am feeling is the normal impulse to get up and have a smoke. *sigh*) The trained behavior, like with a seal?

Maybe I'll go outside, walk around and scare some raccoons for a few min. That's always fun.
Unless, of course, they are attack raccoons... that can get worrisome.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
37 hrs... 34 min... jonesing a bit...(not really)
It's more the feeling that I should be doing something LOL and it is tugging at my attention.
(What I am feeling is the normal impulse to get up and have a smoke. *sigh*) The trained behavior, like with a seal?

Maybe I'll go outside, walk around and scare some raccoons for a few min. That's always fun.
Unless, of course, they are attack raccoons... that can get worrisome.
There's a new law in Canuckistan.
You cannot have a smoke unless you first write & post an anti-smoking limerick on RF.
Helpful?

TurkeyOnRye

I thought I'd keep this under wraps until I had made some progress and am amazed at how well I am handling it.

About a month ago, I began to notice that I wasn't feeling well. Slowly I began to notice that it was always shortly after I'd come in from having a smoke. Hmmmmm.

So, when I moved into the main house from the bungalow, three months ago, I maintained the "No smoking" policy in the house and setup 2 little areas to puff, one in the carport and one out in a garden area. This alone, got me from 1-1/2 packs a day to a pack every day and a half. So... feeling emboldened... I took the plunge...

I have now passed the 36 hour mark, and am on my second patch and have not had a cigarette since 8:20am yesterday. That's a first in OVER 30 years...

I do miss the behavior... or going outside for a smoke (the ritual)... but simply have no desire for a cigarette.

Hahahaha!! Good job Ymir. You're not out of the woods yet, but I have every faith in your ability. Personally, I've always been a take-it-or-leave-it person, but I have an advantage due to my mild asthma...

I have the strangest feeling I am gonna do this....

I think I know just what you mean. There are moments in my life where I feel as though something has just been activated in me (I literally have a moment where I just feel "It is time..."), and suddenly I am emboldened and filled with both the knowledge and the willpower to tackle a challenging pursuit. It is extremely gratifying, as I can already see the finish line from a great distant, and I get to knock down each obstacle between us with precision and finesse. In a way, the difficult challenges don't become surmountable until they become easy.

But...it is a 30-year old habit, and it's still too early to be doing any victory celebrations, as I'm sure you're still aware. It may be easy now, but long-term success doesn't happen overnight. My suggestion...get a pair of running shoes. When the beast is thrashing at your door, sometimes all you can do is get some exercise to offload the surplus energy. At least it works in my experience!

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I thought I'd keep this under wraps until I had made some progress and am amazed at how well I am handling it.

About a month ago, I began to notice that I wasn't feeling well. Slowly I began to notice that it was always shortly after I'd come in from having a smoke. Hmmmmm.

So, when I moved into the main house from the bungalow, three months ago, I maintained the "No smoking" policy in the house and setup 2 little areas to puff, one in the carport and one out in a garden area. This alone, got me from 1-1/2 packs a day to a pack every day and a half. So... feeling emboldened... I took the plunge...

I have now passed the 36 hour mark, and am on my second patch and have not had a cigarette since 8:20am yesterday. That's a first in OVER 30 years...

I have the strangest feeling I am gonna do this.... and... I am already feeling better and no longer short of breath... go figure, eh?

I do miss the behavior... or going outside for a smoke (the ritual)... but simply have no desire for a cigarette.

Best of luck, keep it up.

Laika

Premium Member

I have the strangest feeling I am gonna do this.... and... I am already feeling better and no longer short of breath... go figure, eh?

Best of Luck Ymir! I hope it goes well! :)

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
60 hours now...

Today, found myself in the laundry area, turned around and stood dumbly looking at my carton of cigarettes. Reached out, grabbed the last pack I had opened and confirmed there was a single one left. Laughed, returned the pack to the carton and walked away.:surfer: I didn't want one. :)

:palmtree::dromedarycamel::palmtree: (I'm beginning to like this.) :palmtree::dromedarycamel::palmtree:
I will be happy when I'm talking days/weeks rather than hours...

ChristineM

Premium Member
60 hours now...

Today, found myself in the laundry area, turned around and stood dumbly looking at my carton of cigarettes. Reached out, grabbed the last pack I had opened and confirmed there was a single one left. Laughed, returned the pack to the carton and walked away.:surfer: I didn't want one. :)

:palmtree::dromedarycamel::palmtree: (I'm beginning to like this.) :palmtree::dromedarycamel::palmtree:

1cvphb.jpg

Bob the Unbeliever

60 hours now...

A friend of mine used to carry a single cig everywhere he went-- I never saw him smoke, ever.

Once we were close enough that I felt okay in asking about that one cigarette? (he had quit long before we met)

"Oh, this is my comfort, emergency cigarette. If I really really need to smoke one, well I have it right here, for emergencies. It helps me cope with not smoking. I could smoke this, anytime I want, so that lets me not smoke at all. But I could-- just not today. Maybe tomorrow, or perhaps next week-- but not right now. But I could."

Not having been addicted to anything that strong? I can only infer what it's like, but I think I understand his "double-think" here.

Notebook: This technique is not original, indeed it featured as a part of Danny DiVito's character in that horrible movie "War Of The Roses"-- he was their lawyer, who had quit smoking years and years before.... kept his in a glass vial. For emergencies.

Thief

Rogue Theologian

I am also coming up on a dead line
I am 63
I smoke a cigar on my way to work
and more of the same cigar on the way home

My Grandfather showed me the way
he made the announcement after breakfast when he was 66
"I think I'll quit smoking"
nothing more was said
and the ash tray was put away

he walked all the way to 100

my turn is coming

Enoch07

It's all a sick freaking joke.
Premium Member

Good luck man! Stay away from the Welbutrin!! LoL

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
I am now rapidly approaching the 4 day mark.... in 1 hour.... Still no desire for a smoke. It is so weird to be able to breath deeply with completely clear sinuses. I barely remember how it used to be without being clogged up... how it is clear again... *sigh*

ChristineM

Premium Member
I am now rapidly approaching the 4 day mark.... in 1 hour.... Still no desire for a smoke. It is so weird to be able to breath deeply with completely clear sinuses. I barely remember how it used to be without being clogged up... how it is clear again... *sigh*

Another $10 saved... Something else to sigh about o_O

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Another $10 saved... Something else to sigh about o_O
Woot, Just got back from the store. Spent $32 on misc items, so.... 4 x12.50 (cigs) = 50, so my groceries were free and I still have an extra 20 in my pocket!!! Sweet... (I should make a spreadsheet tracking how much money I am saving in real time! LOL!)

On day 4 this is almost becoming like a game now...

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
#yougotthis. :)

It will be 24 years on Jan. 1 that I quit cold turkey. I decided it was time. You quit one cigarette at a time.. I won't smoke this cigarette. Then you do that over and over and over.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Moving in on the 111th fun filled hour without smoking.... :)

Almost weakened this afternoon... waited for a minute and forgot all about wanting one LOL.

BOOYAH!

Remember how you did that each time you get the craving. You proved you can. After about 72-96 hours the physical need for a cigarette should be gone... keep drinking water... now it’s the habit and psychology to conquer. Change your routine, move stuff around, break the routine and form a new one, basically disorient and disassociate yourself from smoking. It’s all head games now.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Woot, Just got back from the store. Spent $32 on misc items, so.... 4 x12.50 (cigs) = 50, so my groceries were free and I still have an extra 20 in my pocket!!! Sweet... (I should make a spreadsheet tracking how much money I am saving in real time! LOL!)

On day 4 this is almost becoming like a game now...

Start a side savings account and put (some of) the money into it to treat and reward yourself.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Wow. Sitting here midway through day 7... *laughs nervously*

I think the winning thing for me in doing this is that I now realize it was the cigarettes that were making me feel like crap, as I felt better, almost instantly, and have yet to be hit by that malaise since. I don't see how I can get past that fact and put a cigarette back in my mouth realizing it is going to make me feel crappy again, especially after several days without one. (Yep, that would hit the spot... Not! LOL.)